The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,321 of 2,262
I didn't know it was there either. Thanks guys. It is very useful.

Agree completely about the UI being intuitive though. Like most i suspect, i just dived in and started navigating around and found it all very simple.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,322 of 2,262
  I didn't know it was there either. Thanks guys. It is very useful.

Agree completely about the UI being intuitive though. Like most i suspect, i just dived in and started navigating around and found it all very simple.

So stupid that I am only to find out a home button after 3 months of ownership LOL.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,323 of 2,262
  So stupid that I am only to find out a home button after 3 months of ownership LOL.

Don't worry we won't tell anybody, "What you say on HeadFi stays on HeadFi".......forever.  
Now, don't you feel better...
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,324 of 2,262

Don't worry we won't tell anybody, "What you say on HeadFi stays on HeadFi".......forever.  
Now, don't you feel better...
biggrin.gif

Much better.

All because of you guys...glad to be part of the Headfier community.   

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #1,326 of 2,262
I am loving the sound out of the AK240 but there is one little thing i would like to see improved and that is the noise floor. Just occasionally i become aware that the background is not completely black which detracts from the perceived detail an sense of space.

Is there a mod which addresses this ? 

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,327 of 2,262
  I am loving the sound out of the AK240 but there is one little thing i would like to see improved and that is the noise floor. Just occasionally i become aware that the background is not completely black which detracts from the perceived detail an sense of space.

The noise floor...would that be the recording but not the machine.  If the noise floor exists then it has to be consistent rather than some recording only.

For example, I can hear the rumbling of the hall from the Arthur Fiedler-Rodion Shchedrin; Carmen Ballet and it is definitely not the noise floor.  

Or maybe if you can try disable the "gapless" function and try to see if you'd find the noise between songs.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #1,328 of 2,262
  The noise floor...would that be the recording but not the machine.  If the noise floor exists then it has to be consistent rather than some recording only.

For example, I can hear the rumbling of the hall from the Arthur Fiedler-Rodion Shchedrin; Carmen Ballet and it is definitely not the noise floor.  

Or maybe if you can try disable the "gapless" function and try to see if you'd find the noise between songs.

No, i definitely mean the noise floor. What i am hearing is not a product of the recording. I am being very critical here though

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,329 of 2,262
  No, i definitely mean the noise floor. What i am hearing is not a product of the recording. I am being very critical here though

I don't have good ears (too old, my ears' function are deteriorating) and thus not able to find such exist.  Anyone has the same observation?

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,330 of 2,262

Can you replicate this problem using a different set of headphones?   Sometimes a poorly matched set of headphones will hiss.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,331 of 2,262

Can you replicate this problem using a different set of headphones?   Sometimes a poorly matched set of headphones will hiss.

Yes i am aware of that issue but it happens on two of my sets (I haven't used the others with the 240 yet). As i said, i am being very critical.

Am i to take it that no one else agrees with me ?

All  am saying is that it does not have a perfectly black background. I am not saying it is bad or anything because it sound terrific.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,332 of 2,262
Yes i am aware of that issue but it happens on two of my sets (I haven't used the others with the 240 yet). As i said, i am being very critical.

All  am saying is that it does not have a perfectly black background. I am not saying it is bad or anything because it sound terrific.

could it be your unit has a defect? I've not seen anyone mentioning about background hiss. Even Tyll's review.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,333 of 2,262

It isn't a matter of disagreeing with you.   AK products have a reputation for being extremely "black".   People sometimes don't like the sound signature or how it pairs with their headphones - but typically they don't complain about how noisy it is.   In addition, i haven't experienced any such background noise.  Haven't heard any other reports of hiss or noise from other headfi folks.  Because of this, there is a chance that you have a defective unit or should look for other causes like headphone pairings.  Headphones with extremely low impedance are more likely to hiss.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #1,334 of 2,262
Actually at this point I'd like to pull in the hisspert @shigzeo who borrowed my AK240 before it was modded. I hope he makes it here for a comment or two about it. I know he was praising about the DX90's very low noise but I don't know if he managed to compare side-by-side or returned my AK240 before receiving his DX90.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,335 of 2,262
  Actually at this point I'd like to pull in the hisspert @shigzeo who borrowed my AK240 before it was modded. I hope he makes it here for a comment or two about it. I know he was praising about the DX90's very low noise but I don't know if he managed to compare side-by-side or returned my AK240 before receiving his DX90.

He says the DX90 has lower noise than then 240, he told me. He has everything up on Ohm as well: http://ohm-image.net/opinion/audiophile/rmaa-summary-ibasso-dx90-vs-astell-kern-ak240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back