The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,261 of 2,262
Hi Kiats
When you are coming to Jakarta ?
I have sr 007 mk2 and sr 009 , that's why In my humble opinion the clarity and the sound character from this set up
Ak 240 + DITA Gold with TRRS plug is like my Stax sound character for iems
Specially for jazz and audiophile recording like from OPUS and from Stock Fish
IMO

Geez Rudi, you get me drooling over the DITA gold with my 240 and then I check their website-no mention of them at all. Any info on availability, shipping to California, price etc. and is the TRRS plug balanced? And a question, cause I appreciate your opinion, have you listened to AKG3003 on the 240? I am loving my Fostex TH900 paired with the 240.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,262 of 2,262
Why is it the best combo, Rudi? What have you tried so far? And to claim that it is on par with SR07 MK2 and SR09? That is rather extravagant a claim in respect of an iem. Details would be appreciated, Rudi. Not just a broad sweep like that.
wink.gif

+1.

I've heard the DITA more than once as well, all the way since its prototype stage, though not the limited gold edition, and I'm wondering how a colour change can increase the sound quality to something like a Stax. In what ways is it similar from bottom to top of the SQ? I don;t think it's the space and air right?

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,263 of 2,262
+1.

I've heard the DITA more than once as well, all the way since its prototype stage, though not the limited gold edition, and I'm wondering how a colour change can increase the sound quality to something like a Stax. In what ways is it similar from bottom to top of the SQ? I don;t think it's the space and air right?

I am sorry maybe my description in English make you miss understand
I think Kiat when you are coming to Jakarta please try it by your self or as long you are in Singapore please try Desmond DITA with TRRS plug + AK 240 , than you know what I mean

My description is look like = not the same , that the sound quality from DITA Gold with TRRS plug is like = not the same my Stax Sr 007 my 2 or Sr 009 , in term of Clarity , detail , very black background , very detail and clean bass
As I heard with jazz music from Opus recording .

So far the best iems can not get the SQ from high end headphone like Stax sr 009 or Abyss 1266

IMO

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,264 of 2,262
Geez Rudi, you get me drooling over the DITA gold with my 240 and then I check their website-no mention of them at all. Any info on availability, shipping to California, price etc. and is the TRRS plug balanced? And a question, cause I appreciate your opinion, have you listened to AKG3003 on the 240? I am loving my Fostex TH900 paired with the 240.

Thank you
At the moment haven't launching
Please email to DITA and ask about when they launching DITA truth with TRRS balance plug for ak 240 ?
Please try it before you buy at your local dealer
If you like your Fostex TH 900 pair with AK 240 , I think you will like DITA truth edition
I had my AKG K 3003 2 years ago I like too and I sold my AKG K 3003 and bought Tralucent 1+2 with gold cable

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,265 of 2,262
For those who have RWAK-ed, how do you find it now that AK has released a new firmware? Do you feel that the RWAK signature is an improvement still or the RWAK mod unnecessary?

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,266 of 2,262
For those who have RWAK-ed, how do you find it now that AK has released a new firmware? Do you feel that the RWAK signature is an improvement still or the RWAK mod unnecessary?

My first impression with the new 1.15 firmware is that the 240 gets more power.  Do you feel the same?

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,267 of 2,262
  My first impression with the new 1.15 firmware is that the 240 gets more power.  Do you feel the same?

I have the same impression subjectively.....but who knows cause audio memory is a strange thing..

I would really like to know his too.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,268 of 2,262

I have the same impression subjectively.....but who knows cause audio memory is a strange thing..

I don't know if it's more power but the bass portion fills up more than before. For those AK240 owners who previously mentioned that it sounded rather "thin", please try this newer firmware. It's still not as "full bodied" as my HM-901's balanced amp module, but it's a step closer.

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,269 of 2,262
I am sorry maybe my description in English make you miss understand
I think Kiat when you are coming to Jakarta please try it by your self or as long you are in Singapore please try Desmond DITA with TRRS plug + AK 240 , than you know what I mean

My description is look like = not the same , that the sound quality from DITA Gold with TRRS plug is like = not the same my Stax Sr 007 my 2 or Sr 009 , in term of Clarity , detail , very black background , very detail and clean bass
As I heard with jazz music from Opus recording .

So far the best iems can not get the SQ from high end headphone like Stax sr 009 or Abyss 1266

IMO

Ah... I see. Rudi, I'll let you know if I come to JKT.

Ah... I see what you are saying. Frankly, I've always had wonderful results with Fitear customs. It reaches its pinnacle paired with the uber cable. You get a sense of a full sized can. And ticks all the boxes you refer to.

In answer to LaurenceWayne's Q: As for the AKG K3003, it is a very good pairing with the AK240. I still have it and enjoy it very much with the AK240.

In respect of the Dita, I didn't hear what you heard. Perhaps I'll give it another listen. I am quite surprised you heard what you did without burning in. I had been assured it would sound better once burnt in. :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,270 of 2,262
I don't know if it's more power but the bass portion fills up more than before. For those AK240 owners who previously mentioned that it sounded rather "thin", please try this newer firmware. It's still not as "full bodied" as my HM-901's balanced amp module, but it's a step closer.

I would have to agree, the bass does seem a bit deeper.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,271 of 2,262

I felt the mid is slightly forwarded that the previous firmware.  Yes, the density of music seems like has made improvement too.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #1,272 of 2,262
It is a curious thing that software supposedly with nothing to do with the sound can make an audible difference.. strange and sometimes delightful.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,274 of 2,262
It is a curious thing that software supposedly with nothing to do with the sound can make an audible difference.. strange and sometimes delightful.
Which is why these days reviews should include firmware versions too. Yes I'm also very guilty of not stating the version number I'm my reviews. Where's the edit button?

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,275 of 2,262

I am not technical but I thought software has a lot to do with how each DAP sounds....more so than the DAC chip itself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back