The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,877 of 2,262
The only way a technology company stays in business is to continue to innovate and bring out new,better and of course more expensive products so yes you should expect new models in the near future!That is the way with technology and it always will be....when you buy something you have to accept that in short order it will be passe or obsolete!

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,878 of 2,262
This is just the Qobuz shop.Ì want the promised app to stream using my account.

Man they've said all of these services were coming and it's been forever....I've stated before this is a darn good player...but the wait has been forever for services forever for the volume fix....I know they can charge whatever they like and some people will continue to buy "as I had two 240's" but I just sold my last one I just found the wait too long for services...Bluetooth that has no distance at all ...I was or rather tried to use when I work out and it was sitting a couple of feet from me and always continue to cut in and out .....just many small issues for me guess I'm spoiled...or just have low tollerance for constant little issues...I kept justifying the sound because it's awesome ....but considering that I'm getting a Hugo soon the AK was being relished to transport mode only and with this I just felt it didn't fit me anymore...I've ranted on this before about quality control issues, problems and the like...you want to keep charging premium prices please turn out a premium product....from 2.5 jack issues which are hit or miss as this is how I ended up buying a second unit "didn't want to be without one while waiting on a new one to be returned" ☺️...,To volume spike issues which I sent the other one back to get a new unit only to have the same issues again...only to be told that maybe it's a software issue that still hasn't been cleared up...this issue is serious for some as I would hate to see someone's hearing damaged by volume spikes, I would've thought they would have gotten to the bottom of this much sooner....The HD Tracks promise as well has taken a long time too :smirk: maybe it will show up sometime along with Tidal but it's been like what a year? I brought this player for the player yes first and most importantly ....but it's 2015 my device needs to do a little more than this and I don't mean make calls and all the other non sense I mean play music to the highest degree without constant issues....stream music out of the box "feel they should've also had an app as it's not hard to make" Bluetooth that works more than 3 feet away without cutting out constantly.....ect.....ect.....I know everyone will defend them....I've stood strong by my purchase decision and would have done it again if so...it's taught me something as well.....the money wasn't the issue....I just feel that they left so much on the table that could've made this product even better....People will say they'll drop a new player soon...well if they do without doing the things needed for this one then it will say something very important and I'll leave everyone else to finish the statement.........Great sound from a nice looking player ......but to me they still dropped the ball....They or someone else could pick it up and score a win.......

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #1,879 of 2,262
Man they've said all of these services were coming and it's been forever....I've stated before this is a darn good player...but the wait has been forever for services forever for the volume fix....I know they can charge whatever they like and some people will continue to buy "as I had two 240's" but I just sold my last one I just found the wait too long for services...Bluetooth that has no distance at all ...I was or rather tried to use when I work out and it was sitting a couple of feet from me and always continue to cut in and out .....just many small issues for me guess I'm spoiled...or just have low tollerance for constant little issues...I kept justifying the sound because it's awesome ....but considering that I'm getting a Hugo soon the AK was being relished to transport mode only and with this I just felt it didn't fit me anymore...I've ranted on this before about quality control issues, problems and the like...you want to keep charging premium prices please turn out a premium product....from 2.5 jack issues which are hit or miss as this is how I ended up buying a second unit "didn't want to be without one while waiting on a new one to be returned" ☺️...,To volume spike issues which I sent the other one back to get a new unit only to have the same issues again...only to be told that maybe it's a software issue that still hasn't been cleared up...this issue is serious for some as I would hate to see someone's hearing damaged by volume spikes, I would've thought they would have gotten to the bottom of this much sooner....The HD Tracks promise as well has taken a long time too :smirk: maybe it will show up sometime along with Tidal but it's been like what a year? I brought this player for the player yes first and most importantly ....but it's 2015 my device needs to do a little more than this and I don't mean make calls and all the other non sense I mean play music to the highest degree without constant issues....stream music out of the box "feel they should've also had an app as it's not hard to make" Bluetooth that works more than 3 feet away without cutting out constantly.....ect.....ect.....I know everyone will defend them....I've stood strong by my purchase decision and would have done it again if so...it's taught me something as well.....the money wasn't the issue....I just feel that they left so much on the table that could've made this product even better....People will say they'll drop a new player soon...well if they do without doing the things needed for this one then it will say something very important and I'll leave everyone else to finish the statement.........Great sound from a nice looking player ......but to me they still dropped the ball....They or someone else could pick it up and score a win.......

I've been thinking about getting this player but your statements above doesn't give me a good feeling.
I heard about the balance jack being a little flaky but the volume spike is a different story. As you mentioned, if loud enough it could damage someones hearing. What other issues have you came across?

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,880 of 2,262
I've been thinking about getting this player but your statements above doesn't give me a good feeling.
I heard about the balance jack being a little flaky but the volume spike is a different story. As you mentioned, if loud enough it could damage someones hearing. What other issues have you came across?

Don't take what I said totally wrong as I've said as well as many others it's a great player personally it could be the best DAP out right now ......sound quality is great ....it's just the what I would call teething problems but then that's what makes me kind of :confused: too .....they've been around for a min. now and didn't just arrive on the seen, so these things should be much than they are and software should be brought up to par as soon as possible if need be....and I'm just spoiled anyway .... because I expect top build quality and more for the price which this player is built well very well .....The 2.5 jack they know about and hopefully have take care of in future production runs with better tolerances.....UI is very good not the sexiest or spectacular but nice movement and responds well....it's mainly the things I take issue with listed about don't take it as a don't buy because you will be loving the sound .....but one of the most important parts of this player is its DACs so for me personally I was waiting to see if they would address these issues because I've had my eyes on a Hugo for a long time now "well long for me :yum:" because it's considered a better DAC than what you have with the AK .....and yes most people will say it's only a DAC not a player but given that it's a darn good DAC with amp from what I've heard it sounds great with many products from new iPad mini to iPhone 6+ both teamed with the Onkyo HI FI app I've also wanted to see the new Sony ZX2 I prefer the look over the AK ....,, but Hugo pairs extremely well with the AK240 this is a fact...as this is what I was planing on doing but I thought with all the little issues and such just decided to sell my last one as well because I could run the Hugo with many other products as well as with a home set up yes like the AK240 but Hugo's Home DACs are very very good as well so when I hear that it's as good or in a few instances better than the previous home DAC I'm like :frowning: so this is the route I've decided to go also battery life was a little short for me with the AK not crazy short but I just wish they couldve given it a slightly larger battery but I understand why they did this it is a great size all in one unit so this is good and besides I just connected my Mophie pack to it a few times not a problem....take a listen for yourself you may be very surprised by the sound and feel it's for you......this hobby is all about the music so just enjoy........

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #1,881 of 2,262
Don't take what I said totally wrong as I've said as well as many others it's a great player personally it could be the best DAP out right now ......sound quality is great ....it's just the what I would call teething problems but then that's what makes me kind of :confused: too .....they've been around for a min. now and didn't just arrive on the seen, so these things should be much than they are and software should be brought up to par as soon as possible if need be....and I'm just spoiled anyway .... because I expect top build quality and more for the price which this player is built well very well .....The 2.5 jack they know about and hopefully have take care of in future production runs with better tolerances.....UI is very good not the sexiest or spectacular but nice movement and responds well....it's mainly the things I take issue with listed about don't take it as a don't buy because you will be loving the sound .....but one of the most important parts of this player is its DACs so for me personally I was waiting to see if they would address these issues because I've had my eyes on a Hugo for a long time now "well long for me :yum:" because it's considered a better DAC than what you have with the AK .....and yes most people will say it's only a DAC not a player but given that it's a darn good DAC with amp from what I've heard it sounds great with many products from new iPad mini to iPhone 6+ both teamed with the Onkyo HI FI app I've also wanted to see the new Sony ZX2 I prefer the look over the AK ....,, but Hugo pairs extremely well with the AK240 this is a fact...as this is what I was planing on doing but I thought with all the little issues and such just decided to sell my last one as well because I could run the Hugo with many other products as well as with a home set up yes like the AK240 but Hugo's Home DACs are very very good as well so when I hear that it's as good or in a few instances better than the previous home DAC I'm like :frowning: so this is the route I've decided to go also battery life was a little short for me with the AK not crazy short but I just wish they couldve given it a slightly larger battery but I understand why they did this it is a great size all in one unit so this is good and besides I just connected my Mophie pack to it a few times not a problem....take a listen for yourself you may be very surprised by the sound and feel it's for you......this hobby is all about the music so just enjoy........

Thanks for feedback! I did listen to it when it first came out and was blown away but thought $2500 was a bit expensive. been saving my pennies and seriously considering the AK 240. And no, I don't think you are spoiled. You dropped $2500  on a DAP and should expect almost perfection given the hefty price. I might hold off though and see if they release a newer AK240 replacement.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #1,882 of 2,262

Thanks for feedback! I did listen to it when it first came out and was blown away but thought $2500 was a bit expensive. been saving my pennies and seriously considering the AK 240. And no, I don't think you are spoiled. You dropped $2500  on a DAP and should expect almost perfection given the hefty price. I might hold off though and see if they release a newer AK240 replacement.

No replacement in the near future.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #1,883 of 2,262

Well since they called the Ultimate, they will have a hard time replacing it...or finding a name for the replacement...maybe the post-apocalyptic? The post-ultimate?

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,886 of 2,262
  Well since they called the Ultimate, they will have a hard time replacing it...or finding a name for the replacement...maybe the post-apocalyptic? The post-ultimate?

Well...Apple, each year, presents their new iPhone and always claimed that this is the best iPhone ever produced.  So, AK can use the same trick for their new version of flagship DAP.  

Probably this is the longest period since the AK120 launch AK has no new product comes out to flood the market.  Who knows what would come next and how soon. 

Cheers

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,887 of 2,262
Go over to the other thread, as there is now a rumor of an AK240SS in silver and/or made in steel.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,888 of 2,262
  Well...Apple, each year, presents their new iPhone and always claimed that this is the best iPhone ever produced.  So, AK can use the same trick for their new version of flagship DAP.  

Probably this is the longest period since the AK120 launch AK has no new product comes out to flood the market.  Who knows what would come next and how soon. 

Cheers

Well, technically you just have to improve one thing and voila, it's the best you ever produced. So, of course it's marketed that way. The opposite would be weird: Buy today, our new player, less power, less fidelity and finally of lesser quality. Hurry up, get yours now, selling fast...

:wink:

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,889 of 2,262

Well, technically you just have to improve one thing and voila, it's the best you ever produced. So, of course it's marketed that way. The opposite would be weird: Buy today, our new player, less power, less fidelity and finally of lesser quality. Hurry up, get yours now, selling fast...

:wink:

You mean AK launched their 240 first then the 120ii and 100ii?

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,890 of 2,262

You mean AK launched their 240 first then the 120ii and 100ii?

I was joking. 

But one thing you can "improve" is the price. Same specs now for a lower price... works too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back