The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,861 of 2,262
Apologies if this is not the right place for this post. I am thinking of acquiring an AK240 and am curious how the SQ will compare to my current portable rig - iPhone+Cypher Labs Alg Solo + Alo Continental V3. I have only ever had Alo amps. My IEMs are Shure se846 and Roxannes. My interest in the AK240 comes from needing something I can slip into my laptop bag plus play high res files which I currently only access on my desktop rig. Also any suggestions for balanced cables for both - I was thinking Moon Audio Silver Dragons but not sure if the cables and balanced sound will be a noticeable upgrade for someone like me coming off my current rigs. Appreciate any advice.

IME AK240 noise floor is a lot lower than the Continental in my experience. Alg Solo also has pretty high line out level, which makes the conti's usable gain with CIEMs pretty rough. Having used iphone/alg solo/alo conti v2 for years I'm happy to have sold that and love the convenience of the AK240.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,862 of 2,262
  Biggest practical gripe is that the microSD card support seems to be stupendously flaky, at least with 128GB cards. I've tried three different ones and all have given me varying problems. The Sandisk I used would cause the player to just lock up in the middle of scanning it. The Samsung I used would work fine for half an hour or so before locking up hard in the middle of playback (same files on internal storage, no problem, ever). The PNY I tried kept causing errors as soon as I tried to copy files to it (via android file transfer). Trials with 8GB and 16GB cards have been flawless with no issues. I really don't have a clear sense whether the problem is the cards or the player, but this has been incredibly frustrating for me. A quick search of this forum shows some anecdotal reports that 128s work fine or that they need to be carefully formatted and occasionally cause lockups, but I didn't get a good sense if this is really a known/common issue or not. I didn't feel like I loaded it down too crazy; in each case I was trying to go for about 95% full with ALAC content. Any similar/dissimilar experiences out there?

Keep in mind there are zillions of fake Chinese Sandisk 128GB mSD cards being sold on Ebay and everywhere else. I have 2 Sandisk 128 cards, one from Amazon and one from B&H Photo in NY. You should always test your new card with H2TESTW to verify their goodness.

I've had no issues with either cards. I load and unload music files directly into the mSD card in the 240 slot from my PC via the USB cable. Once loaded they are immediately usable without a scan. Apparently it scans 'em as they are loaded. Never had any issues with lockup, freezing, or lost files....yet
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,863 of 2,262
i have had no such problems with my 128gb cards with my 240 or my 120

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,864 of 2,262
  Biggest practical gripe is that the microSD card support seems to be stupendously flaky, at least with 128GB cards. I've tried three different ones and all have given me varying problems. The Sandisk I used would cause the player to just lock up in the middle of scanning it. The Samsung I used would work fine for half an hour or so before locking up hard in the middle of playback (same files on internal storage, no problem, ever). The PNY I tried kept causing errors as soon as I tried to copy files to it (via android file transfer). Trials with 8GB and 16GB cards have been flawless with no issues. I really don't have a clear sense whether the problem is the cards or the player, but this has been incredibly frustrating for me. A quick search of this forum shows some anecdotal reports that 128s work fine or that they need to be carefully formatted and occasionally cause lockups, but I didn't get a good sense if this is really a known/common issue or not. I didn't feel like I loaded it down too crazy; in each case I was trying to go for about 95% full with ALAC content. Any similar/dissimilar experiences out there?

Try formatting the card from the AK240. The device will format the card the best way that it is able to use it. This is my experience from using the x5.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,865 of 2,262
Thanks atubbs, I guess what I gain in noise floor I might lose in muscle. Have you ever felt the need to use an external amp with your 240 while driving IEMs? Like you said in your other post, looking for the convenience of a single unit that does it all without compromising too much.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #1,866 of 2,262
Thanks atubbs, I guess what I gain in noise floor I might lose in muscle. Have you ever felt the need to use an external amp with your 240 while driving IEMs? Like you said in your other post, looking for the convenience of a single unit that does it all without compromising too much.

I have not, but I also haven't found my go-to IEMs (JHAudio JH13Pro) particularly unfriendly, as far as loads go. They are pretty low impedance but also stupendously sensitive. I am of course prone to a confirmation bias here, because I want to need nothing other than the DAP itself. My primary uses for the AK240 are: 1) travel: train commutes or flights for work/pleasure 2) digital source when I don't feel like lugging a laptop around. I would like to say that I'm being critical in terms of the sound quality in the first case, but I'm pretty sure I'd stick with it even if it did need more muscle. In terms of specifics there, in any event, I don't find a lack of power with the JH13s, I could easily blow my ears. There are other aspects of control, but I don't think the player is lacking punch, control, etc. Frequency response seems (not surprisingly) pretty darn flat/neutral (it has an EQ, I haven't used it).

I haven't tried some of the other high-end DAPs so I'm basically stating this in a vacuum (versus a ton of portable DAC/AMP/iPod configurations I've used in the past): I think the AK240 probably delivers about the best sound I would expect in a small all-in-one does-everything box. Beating it would probably require certain changes. A discrete class-A high-power output stage that was still quiet would be one option that would be interesting, but I don't think it's needed for the species of IEM I've tried. It would also require a lot more surface area to evacuate heat and a giant battery, negating the form factor. And, it's not like the battery is particularly generous as-is, already. I would generally not want to use the AK240 directly with headphones not designed to be driven by consumer equipment: I think it's fine with sensitive cans like the Oppo PM-1 or NAD HP50. While I have not yet tried it, I don't think I would directly use it with something like Audeze, Sennheiser HD6/7/8xx, AKG K7xx, etc. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,869 of 2,262
I may have missed this but what happened to the AK240 streaming Qobuz.
I really like Qobuz for streaming FLAC quality music.

Vert good question. And, in addition to wonder if it is opérationnal now, I also wonder if the QOBUZ interface is convenient and usable on such a small screen.

Can someone comment on this and may be post some screen shots of QOBUZ's UI on the AK240 ?

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,870 of 2,262
Vert good question. And, in addition to wonder if it is opérationnal now, I also wonder if the QOBUZ interface is convenient and usable on such a small screen.

Can someone comment on this and may be post some screen shots of QOBUZ's UI on the AK240 ?

There's a teaser here: http://www.whathifi.com/news/astell-kern-players-get-nas-streaming-and-qobuz-downloads. Don't know if anybody's gotten more than that?

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,871 of 2,262
Nice, I think is this a right move as AK is preping the AK240 with their AK500N.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,873 of 2,262

I have not, but I also haven't found my go-to IEMs (JHAudio JH13Pro) particularly unfriendly, as far as loads go. They are pretty low impedance but also stupendously sensitive. I am of course prone to a confirmation bias here, because I want to need nothing other than the DAP itself. My primary uses for the AK240 are: 1) travel: train commutes or flights for work/pleasure 2) digital source when I don't feel like lugging a laptop around. I would like to say that I'm being critical in terms of the sound quality in the first case, but I'm pretty sure I'd stick with it even if it did need more muscle. In terms of specifics there, in any event, I don't find a lack of power with the JH13s, I could easily blow my ears. There are other aspects of control, but I don't think the player is lacking punch, control, etc. Frequency response seems (not surprisingly) pretty darn flat/neutral (it has an EQ, I haven't used it).

I haven't tried some of the other high-end DAPs so I'm basically stating this in a vacuum (versus a ton of portable DAC/AMP/iPod configurations I've used in the past): I think the AK240 probably delivers about the best sound I would expect in a small all-in-one does-everything box. Beating it would probably require certain changes. A discrete class-A high-power output stage that was still quiet would be one option that would be interesting, but I don't think it's needed for the species of IEM I've tried. It would also require a lot more surface area to evacuate heat and a giant battery, negating the form factor. And, it's not like the battery is particularly generous as-is, already. I would generally not want to use the AK240 directly with headphones not designed to be driven by consumer equipment: I think it's fine with sensitive cans like the Oppo PM-1 or NAD HP50. While I have not yet tried it, I don't think I would directly use it with something like Audeze, Sennheiser HD6/7/8xx, AKG K7xx, etc. 

I have tried Audeze's LCD-X and the LCD-3 out of the 2.5mm balanced output and the Beyerdynamic T1 at an audio show and the 240 drove them surprisingly well. Oh, and the same with the HD800. Personally liked the LCD-3 the best out of the bunch.
I personally don't like any AKG so didn't try it out :p

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #1,874 of 2,262

I understand the confirmation bias problem and am fighting it in my case against the DAPs in favor of a Chord Hugo or some such :) That said I did finally audition the various DAPs and DAC/Amps I had wanted to although using a SE connection in all cases with devices which provided balanced out options. I agree that AK had the very best sound, I was astounded by the quality of the DAC and the impact it had on the music - increased clarity, separation and very quiet background (I guess the amp's contribution on that last one). Strangely enough while I felt the drums in "Rolling in the deep" didnt quite have the thump on the AK, the drums in a "Hotel California" (live recording) FLAC sounded superb, reminding me of a listening session of the same song on SACD on a friend's musical fidelity monoblocks driving Norrh 9 speakers (one my very best listening experiences ever) many years ago. Conclusion of course that low end on a good recording can yet carry muscle on the AK. Loudness was never the challenge as you pointed out. I tested exclusively with the Roxannes. Also the UI was smooth and intuitive. The DAP that came close on SQ (better amp but less capable DAC) was the HiFiMan 901 with better low end punch but laggy UI and larger form factor. What was a surprise however was that at less than half the price, the Theorem 720 had a rivaling DAC and amp losing out only in size/weight and of course the need for a source. Maybe the AK120II is a good compromise, with identical sound to my ears and losing native DSD capability. Thanks a lot for your comments.       

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,875 of 2,262
Hello everyone!

I'm in the market for a new high end-dap. I have the AK 120 and really happy with it but it's time for an upgrade. I've been following the AK 240 since it came out but has always been out of my budget. This year will be a better financial year for me thus considering the AK 240. My questions is this: since the AK 240 has been out for a year, I suspect AK will be coming out with a newer model soon. I think this given their what I've seen in the past.

Thoughts on AK coming out with a newer model to replace the AK  240 anytime soon?

Any perspective would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back