The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2,506 of 3,220
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has found the diyMods (with Gen 4 Photo) to be somewhat bass light and shallow mid vocals? It seems treble forward and somewhat more sibilant. I'm using the Elna's 6.3V 47uF.

I've got my line-out to the headphone jack instead of of the charging connector if it makes any difference. The only resistors I removed are on the mainboard L/R lineout.

Anyone? Do you find your diyMods bass-light?

May 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2,508 of 3,220
I plan to try to diymod a 5.5g iPod. However there's something I'm confused about from reading this thread and the tutorial stuff: Is a headphone amp absolutely necessary? I plan for my diymod to attach the connection straight to the existing headphone jack, what happens if I plug headphones straight into the jack? Do I still get sound? Can I still control volume from the wheel? Is it better than the stock or is absolute trash without an amp?

May 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #2,509 of 3,220
Quote:
I plan to try to diymod a 5.5g iPod. However there's something I'm confused about from reading this thread and the tutorial stuff: Is a headphone amp absolutely necessary? I plan for my diymod to attach the connection straight to the existing headphone jack, what happens if I plug headphones straight into the jack? Do I still get sound? Can I still control volume from the wheel? Is it better than the stock or is absolute trash without an amp?

Hi djpharoh

You will need an amp with this since it mods the line out, the headphone jack remains unchanged. The amp will then allow you to control the volume output.

May 13, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #2,510 of 3,220
So on a 5.5g iPod you HAVE to go through the line out dock connection, you CAN'T go through the headphone jack? Cause from what I've read so far each player has 3 options: output through headphone jack, output through line out (with either internal caps or LOD caps) and drill through hole in case to for a pigtail which seems to bypass both. Am I wrong in thinking all options apply to all players used in this thread? And if it is in fact possible to connect the DAC directly to the existing headphone jack in the 5.5g iPod, what happens? Will I get this messy blast of loud sound with no volume control? Is it possible for an entire internal mod with no need for an LOD or an amp and still get a boost in sound quality, that leaves the functionality of the player perfectly intact?

May 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2,511 of 3,220
An amp boosts the power and volume of a signal. the diyMOD, no matter if you do it through the headphone jack or the Line Out needs an amp for volume control. If you use the click wheel for volume, you aren't bypassing the internal amp, which is the whole point of the diyMOD. Also, the 5.5 Gen iPod is a bit hard to do the internal caps and headphone out as the output. Never heard of it done, but the capacitors are extremely important. Don't leave them out or you may break something
Quote:
So on a 5.5g iPod you HAVE to go through the line out dock connection, you CAN'T go through the headphone jack? Cause from what I've read so far each player has 3 options: output through headphone jack, output through line out (with either internal caps or LOD caps) and drill through hole in case to for a pigtail which seems to bypass both. Am I wrong in thinking all options apply to all players used in this thread? And if it is in fact possible to connect the DAC directly to the existing headphone jack in the 5.5g iPod, what happens? Will I get this messy blast of loud sound with no volume control? Is it possible for an entire internal mod with no need for an LOD or an amp and still get a boost in sound quality, that leaves the functionality of the player perfectly intact?

May 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,512 of 3,220
Also, the 5.5 Gen iPod is a bit hard to do the internal caps and headphone out as the output. Never heard of it done, but the capacitors are extremely important.

It's been done. You need an iFlash adapter so you have room for the capacitors.
http://www.tarkan.info/20090113/tutorials/modding-audiophile-meets-ipod-diymod/all/1

I plan to do that myself, but need to figure out how to make the wiring much shorter (I'm going to use 26 AWG UP-OCC Cryo-treated silver wire, extremely pricey).

May 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2,513 of 3,220
I thought you need thinner cables than that to do the diyMod best. (30?)
Quote:
It's been done. You need an iFlash adapter so you have room for the capacitors.
http://www.tarkan.info/20090113/tutorials/modding-audiophile-meets-ipod-diymod/all/1
I plan to do that myself, but need to figure out how to make the wiring much shorter (I'm going to use 26 AWG UP-OCC Cryo-treated silver wire, extremely pricey).

May 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #2,514 of 3,220
You're probably right, however I couldn't find a decent 30 awg silver cryo treated wire. Suggestions?

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,517 of 3,220
Jun 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,518 of 3,220
iModding nano 1g is great because if you broke it you can simply send back to apple and they will replace it with nano 6g =D

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #2,520 of 3,220
I have had the 80gb 5.5 sitting around since it first came out and it has been used well with RockBox. However, I think I want to try the DIYMOD including a larger SSD hard drive (preferably 240). This thread is impressive and I am planning to go through it, but is there a WIKI including a list of parts needed (HD's and caps...etc). Sorry if I missed it in the thread.
Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back