The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Dec 31, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,476 of 3,220
I have a 5th Gen iPod that I would like to diyMod with internal caps. I understand that this would limit me to using CF (with an adapter.) Is anyone willing to do this for me?

Please PM me...

Thanks,
-Gio 

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #2,477 of 3,220

Can somebody help me with choosing right capacitors for imoding ipod 5,5 gen??

Never tried any of those caps in the 5G, I always used either the BG's or Elna's. I have manage to fit caps in a regular HD 5G but it's a tight squeeze.... 
You don't need a big value here guy's if you are using an amp. 2 uf is plenty big enough, even if your amp has a low input impedance (10K). I tend to use 10uf 16V Elna silmic II or cerafines as they are easily available, cheap, tiny...... and sound great! These have a small case size of 5 x 11 mm, as small as the Hi-Q's and sound just as good.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #2,478 of 3,220
A friend of mine that doesn't speak english askes for your advice, fellow headfiers. :) Could you plz tell us, how to install the Elna Silmic II capacitors correctly. Should my friend install them as he would install the Nichicon ES or not? As he tells me the Elna Silmic II are polar and the Nichicon ES are not. Is there any difference in the way these caps should be installed?

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #2,479 of 3,220
Well guys, I have successfully modded another 5.5G (80GB) ipod, and it sounds great! No need to break in the caps that are in the dock, my other diyMod did that!!

Here are some shots of the guts: …(the flux was a mess is almost all pictures)

Unsoldered components…

The routing of the wires...

Now the finished product…

Both diyMods along with my Tomahawk and HD650’s!

I know this post is old but i was wondering if you can help me with the 5th picture. I can not seem to see/view it.

Moreover, i would like to confirm a few things in doing the 5gen diymod:
1. Upon removal of the z caps near the wolfson chip, the wires connect to the lower terminals of each cap. Is this correct?
2. Upon removal of the resistors near the dock, the wires from the z caps will connect to the lower terminals. Is this correct?
3. For caps with polarity, does positive connect to the z cap terminals and the negative to the resistor terminals?

To put things in perspective, here is my current situation:
A. Removed the z caps
B. Removed the resistors (L2and L3) also their parnter tiny capacitors underneath them.
C. Put elna slimic 2 caps in the line of the wire (will have to check for polarity)
D. I'm currently getting audio from my dock line out but there is a lot of static and audio signal is very weak. (have to put the volume to 80-90% to hear/understand the music)

What could be wrong with my setup?

I'm really hoping some of the guys here will answer so I can finally enjoy my ipod. I have not yet finished back reading the entire thread but i'm roughly 30% here and there.

Thank you!

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #2,480 of 3,220

Quote:
A friend of mine that doesn't speak english askes for your advice, fellow headfiers. :) Could you plz tell us, how to install the Elna Silmic II capacitors correctly. Should my friend install them as he would install the Nichicon ES or not? As he tells me the Elna Silmic II are polar and the Nichicon ES are not. Is there any difference in the way these caps should be installed?

Hi
Yes you need to ensure the positive lead is connected to the DAC/iPod side of the mod or LOD.
The negative lead is then connected to the output
Cheers

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #2,481 of 3,220

Quote:
I know this post is old but i was wondering if you can help me with the 5th picture. I can not seem to see/view it.
Moreover, i would like to confirm a few things in doing the 5gen diymod:
1. Upon removal of the z caps near the wolfson chip, the wires connect to the lower terminals of each cap. Is this correct? YES, the pads nearest the DAC.
2. Upon removal of the resistors near the dock, the wires from the z caps will connect to the lower terminals. Is this correct? Lower pads of L2 & L3, (they are inductors).
3. For caps with polarity, does positive connect to the z cap terminals and the negative to the resistor terminals? YES
To put things in perspective, here is my current situation:
A. Removed the z caps 
B. Removed the resistors (L2and L3) also their parnter tiny capacitors underneath them. They create the original LC (low pass) filter so can be removed.
C. Put elna slimic 2 caps in the line of the wire (will have to check for polarity) You need to check this!
D. I'm currently getting audio from my dock line out but there is a lot of static and audio signal is very weak. (have to put the volume to 80-90% to hear/understand the music)
What could be wrong with my setup Check polarity 1st you could be feeding DC voltage into your next stage. After that check for dry joints. ** There are other components in the audio circuit if you connect to L2 & L3** I prefer wiring directly to the LOD pins.
I'm really hoping some of the guys here will answer so I can finally enjoy my ipod. I have not yet finished back reading the entire thread but i'm roughly 30% here and there.
Thank you!

Hi mate see above, Also.... if you still have issues...
To check the soldering at the cap, remove wire from L2 & L3, connect these to your next stage if you can. If it sounds good then you know it's an issue with these solder points. Pick up ground from the LOD shield.

Hope you solve it buddy.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,482 of 3,220

Quote:
Hi mate see above, Also.... if you still have issues...
To check the soldering at the cap, remove wire from L2 & L3, connect these to your next stage if you can. If it sounds good then you know it's an issue with these solder points. Pick up ground from the LOD shield.

Hope you solve it buddy.

Thanks for answering the questions.  I just saw his PM.  Also the #5 photo was probably deleted from my photobucket.  I'll have to look for it.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,483 of 3,220

Quote:
You're too kind, wgr73. I feel like I'm in the same situation since things picked up pretty quickly in school a year or two ago; I'm an electrical engineer. However, having just finished my last exam, I have a feeling I may need to occupy my time somehow. :wink:

Hahaha that's good to hear Jon!  Man time flies.  I was just watching some of the videos online about this mod and your thread. It's pretty crazy seeing the names on there!

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2,484 of 3,220
If it weren't for the email notifications for PMs, I probably wouldn't be visiting head-fi. I've been busy with moving and setting up my new home, so I barely get to touch the computer. My gratitude goes out to those that help out the newbies, which is what I usually try to do when I'm around. Thanks for keeping the fire alive, fellas.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,485 of 3,220
Hi all,

I'm gonna take a risk and butcher my iPod 4G Photo. Following this, I'm going to redirect the lineout to the headphone jack instead of the dock. Not being able to find BG caps, I managed to pick up 2 pairs of different brands, the bigger SMG and smaller Elna. I'll probably give the Elna a shot first unless someone has some other advice.

The question I have is that I don't really know if the SMG or the Elna's are polar or bi-polar. Is there anyway to tell? If they are polar, I understand that they work anyway however which end goes to the north end of R900/R903 and which end of the cap goes to the headphone jack?

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I did do some searches but seems the Elna's at different from what I've found here. Mine are blue whereas the ones I found here are red so they're different I guess.

18 hrs later EDIT: Never mind. I went ahead and used the Elna's. Had the short end to the mainboard/Wolfson whereas the long end to the headphone jacks.
Pardon the dodgy soldering work, I've never worked with such small cramped components before but it worked :D!!

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #2,486 of 3,220
congrats on the imod guys.

i do have 2 diyimod videos (60gig/ 80gig) and 2 diymod photos (60gig/ 20gig). caps are internal, i used 47uf NX - BG (rare black gates) on the ipod videos and 47uf m-caps for the photos.both are non polar.

i do have 2 ipod videos yet to be imodded...lol

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2,487 of 3,220
congrats on the imod guys.

i do have 2 diyimod videos (60gig/ 80gig) and 2 diymod photos (60gig/ 20gig). caps are internal, i used 47uf NX - BG (rare black gates) on the ipod videos and 47uf m-caps for the photos.both are non polar.

i do have 2 ipod videos yet to be imodded...lol

my current portable set up:

-diyimod ipod video (mundorf ag+ au wires/ blackgate NX BG 47uf non polar)
- diy lod to rca (mundorf cable)
-modified fiio e9 (upgared to sprague, ero, m cap, nichicon capacitors)
- diy battery pack (12aa batt @ 2100mah/ 14.7vdc)
- yamaha hp2 orthodynamic vintage headphone

diymods & to be diymodded

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #2,488 of 3,220

I went ahead and used the Elna's. Had the short end to the mainboard/Wolfson whereas the long end to the headphone jacks

Hi buddy, sorry but IF they are polar then that's the wrong way around.
The striped cover or short lead is always negative.
You need the positive side to go to the motherboard so that it blocks DC.

Easy way is to test it with a cheap Multimeter.

Cheers
Lee

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #2,489 of 3,220
Doh!! OK, I'll fix it after I move to my new apartment. Strangely though it still works (except for charging) which should be a different matter altogether. What would the symtoms be if it were polar and I soldered it the wrong way?

Do I take the sign that since it works, it maybe it's bi-polar afterall?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2,490 of 3,220

Quote:
Doh!! OK, I'll fix it after I move to my new apartment. Strangely though it still works (except for charging) which should be a different matter altogether. What would the symtoms be if it were polar and I soldered it the wrong way?

Do I take the sign that since it works, it maybe it's bi-polar afterall?

Hi mate
Well don't take anything for granted, it may be non-polar but always be sure.
There may not be an issue on your current set-up if the next component (amp) has DC blocking caps on the input (many do)
However, if you were to plug it into another amp or maybe a mate's set-up...... it could be catastrophic.

Happy modding
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back