The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #196 of 2,897

Bravo, Mimouille! Well summarized as ever. Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would add that the way Charles personally closed one of those threads was incredibly original (posted some outrageous german punk video as reply to someone getting on his nerves - it was a lot of fun reading through astonished reactions of forum readers and Charles was banned once and for all for that little outburst - but it's fair to say at least he went out in style 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sounds hilarious! I wish I had been around to see that video and the drama. Bless Charles. He's a gifted engineer who has given me, via the Tera, immense joy.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #197 of 2,897
Mimouille, could you specify how, or in what way the shuffle function doesn't work well? 
For example, i hated the AK100 shuffle function because it just took like 30 songs and repeated them all the time. You had to manually change the song to get another shuffle loop....another very tiny shuffle loop. Made me mad....

thx
I have no clue as I never use it. But the latest algorithm update solved it. Need to send the Tera back though and I would not.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #198 of 2,897
I have no clue as I never use it. But the latest algorithm update solved it. Need to send the Tera back though and I would not.

thanks.....if you ever try it let me know. 

I'm still in the game.....in the gaaame......in the gaaaaaaaaaame........

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #199 of 2,897
thanks.....if you ever try it let me know. 

I'm still in the game.....in the gaaame......in the gaaaaaaaaaame........

Charles did install the new random play algorithm on my Tera-Player and it has improved the randomness immensly. I hardly ever hear a repeat. I typically use the random play mode for nearly all my listening.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #200 of 2,897
Charles did install the new random play algorithm on my Tera-Player and it has improved the randomness immensly. I hardly ever hear a repeat. I typically use the random play mode for nearly all my listening.

thanks a lot!

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #201 of 2,897
Here is the thread dedicated to workarounds around the original Tera random (not so random) algorithm (however reading this would make me consider sending the Tera back to be updated by Charles now that he has a better algorithm).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681585/how-to-have-perfectly-random-playback-on-the-altmann-tera-player

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #203 of 2,897
Charles won' t update the new aalgorithm nor double the RAM unless is something wrong with the Tera,wich is sad,but one day we will have it..Till then enjoy the magical sound.

That's too bad but not surprising. I wish he offered to do the update even if he charges for it - he will eventually have to offer some type of update/upgrade program when the batteries of early Tera's start dying.

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #204 of 2,897
Charles won' t update the new aalgorithm nor double the RAM unless is something wrong with the Tera,wich is sad,but one day we will have it..Till then enjoy the magical sound.

Which strangely enough poses an interesting dilemma: Tera is as reliable as a hammer. I bet if anyone out there has had a problem, it turned out to be an issue with the card... If only we could count on warranty work to spur our upgrades!!!

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #206 of 2,897
Which strangely enough poses an interesting dilemma: Tera is as reliable as a hammer. I bet if anyone out there has had a problem, it turned out to be an issue with the card... If only we could count on warranty work to spur our upgrades!!!

I did have a warranty issue...my plugs were very loose. This happened only in very early Tera's but Charles repaired the jacks and accomplished the updates at no charge and did it overnight. I have no worries about warranty support!

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #207 of 2,897
I did have a warranty issue...my plugs were very loose. This happened only in very early Tera's but Charles repaired the jacks and accomplished the updates at no charge and did it overnight. I have no worries about warranty support!

I use Tera as practically Military-spec equipment at work ( where minor dropping, static shock, and vibration are constant hazards), gym, skiing, yard work, skateboarding and really just a tough life in general. I have only one great fear. I honestly think Tera can take all the abuse I give it, but shudder to think what might happen if its actually dropped INTO the beer I'm drinking , or the saltwater on which I sail. Sometimes this fear even has me leave Tera in the car when near water or sailing, so perhaps beer is the greatest threat of all!

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #208 of 2,897
so, if i buy a second hand Tera, V0 version, does Charles do some updating, or am i mistaken? 

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #209 of 2,897
so, if i buy a second hand Tera, V0 version, does Charles do some updating, or am i mistaken? 

As someone pointed out a short while back, he does not. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back