The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #211 of 2,897
  so, if i buy a second hand Tera, V0 version, does Charles do some updating, or am i mistaken? 

I'm in this situation (bought it about 18 months ago) and have been in contact with Charles - as long as you have the original invoice he will honour the warranty.  I did not get an invoice and have recently contacted Charles as one of the sockets is dodgy (you can crack it sideways and it works for an ever decreasing while, but that's not a healthy fix) his response to my question on the price of a fix and algorithm upgrade?  "Tera has 2 outputs, so how about just using the 2nd output and postpone
service to when it is really needed ?"  He also said I wouldn't be able to fix it but there is a video of him making it and it's a throughole part so should be an easy fix.  I'm still hesitant to crack the case - wouldn't be surprised to receive a shot of pepper spray knowing Charles' sense of humor!

If you are going to but one make sure you get that invoice.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #212 of 2,897
Thanks, i wrote him an email.
Let's hope this time my plan to get one doesn't stay just a plan...

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #213 of 2,897
Thanks, i wrote him an email.
Let's hope this time my plan to get one doesn't stay just a plan...

Good luck! As other owners will tell you, the Tera Player is a wonderful little magical box. :)

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #214 of 2,897
Good luck! As other owners will tell you, the Tera Player is a wonderful little magical box.
smily_headphones1.gif

replace Cookie by Tera.....
wink_face.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #215 of 2,897
Heheh! Very funny! :wink:

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #219 of 2,897
I drilled nine 3,2 mm hole in the Koss Pro - Charles recommended 17x 4mm holes http://tera-player.com/TERA_pics/koss_17_holes.jpg 

Sep 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #220 of 2,897
I drilled the 17 holes as Charles recommended for that Koss mod. I can't comment as to how this improved things (if it did) since I did this to the new set of Koss phones (specifically purchased for this mod and use with Tera).
I can say however that those phones sound amazing with Tera (and no surprise given Charles used them to tune Tera when he was developing it).
Let me also add that I think Tralucent 1plus2 and especially the new Ref 1 are another significant step up in SQ - in my opinion better SQ than Koss phones.
Of course these are apples to oranges comparison (open phones to iem, and also $40 phones vs $1650), but still at this point if you have money to spend and want the best possible SQ pairing with Tera, Ref 1 should be on top of your shopping list, followed by modded Koss. Great thing about both of these phones is that Tera drives them perfectly without need for additional amp.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #221 of 2,897
I drilled the 17 holes as Charles recommended for that Koss mod. I can't comment as to how this improved things (if it did) since I did this to the new set of Koss phones (specifically purchased for this mod and use with Tera).
I can say however that those phones sound amazing with Tera (and no surprise given Charles used them to tune Tera when he was developing it).
Let me also add that I think Tralucent 1plus2 and especially the new Ref 1 are another significant step up in SQ - in my opinion better SQ than Koss phones.
Of course these are apples to oranges comparison (open phones to iem, and also $40 phones vs $1650), but still at this point if you have money to spend and want the best possible SQ pairing with Tera, Ref 1 should be on top of your shopping list, followed by modded Koss. Great thing about both of these phones is that Tera drives them perfectly without need for additional amp.

Thanks for the recommendation. Interested in tera. But definitely thinking about getting the prota pro. At the recent headfi meet I auditioned the ref 1 and wasn't that impressed (though I only had an iPhone 4s and zune hd to drive them) Just bought UERM that I auditioned with a ak240 (loved the sound) . For now just window shopping while in heal my wallet

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #222 of 2,897

You can further improve your PP by increasing the impedance to 110 ohms, coating the driver covers with the rosin that Charles uses and using different pads.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #223 of 2,897
Or just save yourself the hassle and buy a modified pair directly from HiFlight (http://www.hiflightaudio.com/) as his mods are top notch and they're very good sounding cans.  
L3000.gif

Quote:
You can further improve your PP by increasing the impedance to 110 ohms, coating the driver covers with the rosin that Charles uses and using different pads.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #224 of 2,897

Now you tell us... :wink: thanks for saving some porta pros from being mutilated. :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #225 of 2,897
Sorry about not mentioning this before as HiFlight mods are excellent. The different pads he uses are comfier too. 

Quote:
Now you tell us...
wink.gif
thanks for saving some porta pros from being mutilated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back