The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #556 of 1,380

Quote:
How should I pulling out the SM3s, currently I pull them by pulling on the nozzle. Should i pulling them out by the housing? Just worried cause I am not sure how the stress relief is on the SM3 nozzle. With the 535s I don't have to worry b/c of the swivel connector and the thick wire covered by the memory wire coating.

You should try to pull it out by the housing, at least that is how I do it to reduce any potential stress on the cable strain relief.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #557 of 1,380
Was wondering if anyone thinks that changing the plug would kill any sound coming from these. I do alot of listening with them on my ipad and with every case I have tried with the ipad, the plug doesnt get a good connection to the socket. I normally have to take it out of the case but with the otterbox defender case, this is no longer an option since it is a bit#h to get it out of it. I want to switch the plugs for a straight connector. Anyone think this would be a problem?

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #558 of 1,380

Quote:

That's a completely different scenario as the custom tips, in this case, go on the IEM shells and inserting the earpieces with the custom tips can often become awkward as reported by several people. Also, the shells might stick out as has already been reported by more than a few in these forums.

And yes, getting ear impressions is easy, but there's no guarantee they'll produce a perfect set of custom tips, in which case you may need either having the ear impressions done again, or Westone (or whichever company) modify or re-do the tips.

And, no matter how easy the whole process may be in the end, it's not exactly cheap to have this done.

I suspect that it is more similar than it is different. But that was just my experience for what it's worth.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #559 of 1,380

Quote:
I suspect that it is more similar than it is different. But that was just my experience for what it's worth.

Here's an extract from a post by someone who actually has experience with both custom tips & custom IEMs. He posted the following on a different thread (and after my post, which you're quoting):

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe 

...And yes, fit is also huge, the EM3 Pro is so much easier to fit vs. my SM3 with custom tips.  While the custom tips are nice and bring things together better than any silicon tip, they still aren't ideal in all aspects...

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #560 of 1,380

Quote:
I want to switch the plugs for a straight connector. Anyone think this would be a problem?

Switch to a real audio player
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #562 of 1,380
Yeah, take the iPad back to the shop, get a refund and buy something less wanky.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #563 of 1,380

Quote:
Here's an extract from a post by someone who actually has experience with both custom tips & custom IEMs. He posted the following on a different thread (and after my post, which you're quoting):

And that is another person's experience. I've also read several posts from people who have experienced fit problems with their custom earphones. My point was, that the process for producing custom fit musicians earplugs is similar to that used for custom eartips for universal earphones, and custom earphones. I have been through the process of having ear molds taken a few times for musicians earplugs and I have not experienced any problems with fit. I find it hard to believe that this is a "completely different scenario" from having custom eartips made as you have described. It might be slightly different, but little more than that.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #564 of 1,380

huh? the ipad is awesome. its the case its in that makes the plug not go in all the way. All cases ive had have the same problem. As for it not being a good media player, I dont get into all the hype that you have to have a certain player to get a certain sound. Ive had my ipod for years and it sounds fine to me. I only need one media player to store my tunes. I cant see why you would need more than one player for "that certain sound"

Quote:
Yeah, take the iPad back to the shop, get a refund and buy something less wanky.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #565 of 1,380
I think I have developed an irrational hatred of Apple products recently, so ignore me.

But you should definitely sell that ipod and get a Cowon J3. Ipods may sound 'fine' but other products sound finer.

Quote:
huh? the ipad is awesome. its the case its in that makes the plug not go in all the way. All cases ive had have the same problem. As for it not being a good media player, I dont get into all the hype that you have to have a certain player to get a certain sound. Ive had my ipod for years and it sounds fine to me. I only need one media player to store my tunes. I cant see why you would need more than one player for "that certain sound"

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #568 of 1,380

While I am no apple fanboy, I do like the simplicity of their products. Ive never waited in line overnight for anything apple. The problem in question is all the cases made for the ipad and the sm3 plug. My ue custom cable and other cables fit into the slot no problem, its just the sm3 cable.

Quote:
I think I have developed an irrational hatred of Apple products recently, so ignore me.

But you should definitely sell that ipod and get a Cowon J3. Ipods may sound 'fine' but other products sound finer.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #569 of 1,380

Quote: @moonsurf
For everyone who has both SM3 and FX700, which one has more texture and body to the music?  What I'm looking for is somewhat analogue like quality rather than clarity that will convey the musical notes more musical.  I'm very into cello and piano music, so the tones and texture of sound is what I'm looking for. 

I've been listening to the new Denon AH-C560 and it sounds very, very natural to me.  Very enjoyable listen, with good timber and tonal accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back