The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Aug 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #287 of 1,380

Quote:
You only have two ears Joe.

What if I want to use the full sized headphone over IEM method of listening?  My RPX-33 has both a high and low gain output for simultaneous headphone listening and it even takes into account different headphone sensitivities.  And the new Arrow will have 2 headphone jacks!

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #288 of 1,380
Different... very different.

One thing for sure, the cable is the exact same cable as on my UM2's Same plug, etc. Minor differences in the Y and slider.

Of the 4 tips I've tried so far, the Shure (large) Olives are the only ones that work for me. This is the same as with the UM2 and SE535. The E4c uses the Shure (medium) Olives.
The bi-flange is nice, easy to insert and comfortable, but as with anything of this type, too much microphonics and not enough isolation.
The Comply, while comfortable, muffle it by sucking out all the highs.

Remember... with about 15-20 min. of play time with my test tracks, these may not have even begun to break-in... assuming that such break-in will yield much of a difference. So these impressions are from the very initial listening.

First (immediate) impression is that they are more pronounced on either extreme end than the SE535 (I'll keep any comparisons to these two unless there is a specific reason to discuss another IEM, as in the case of the cord, above).
The highs are, above a certain frequency, more apparent and crisp than the 535. I can imagine that with certain recordings I'll be able to hear tape hiss... that is the frequency type that is more pronounced. The extreme highs.

The bass is deeper and more pronounced. Bass appears fuller and 'richer'. Descriptions of 'warm' don't seem far off... at this point. More pronounced bass than the SE535. Not much clarity in all that bass, just more of it. Not muddy, just not really tight. I felt that way about the M50's until they broke-in. They tightened up and I'm hoping these will also.

The mids... ah, the mids. Right now, quite a mixed bag. Some frequencies seem about right, but overall the upper mids seem recessed.

Overall, what I seem to be hearing is in the shape of a W or a U with a bump in the middle. There seem to be two dips, one at 3k-6k, gradually climbing up to 13k or so. The other dip seems to be from about 1k to 300hz then back up to a well-pronounced hump at 30-90hz. Or... put another way, a strong U with a bump at 1k - 3k (or something like that).

The overall impression is good, but odd. Not immediately great. Recessed mids, especially upper mids. It gives a strangely muffled impression, but with big bass and a crisp upper end. Voices are recessed and slightly mutted.

I will refine these observations this weekend. These are rough and course and not terribly specific. Sorry 'bout that.

Realize, that's the way it sounds... now... no test tones here at work, and nothing scientific whatsoever in my testing. Just listening, and these are the impressions so far.
All files are lossless @ 24bit/48k or direct CD rip to lossless at 16 bit. Played HP out on 5th gen Nano or 6th gen Classic.

Psychoacoustics?? So in the time it took me to write this... Either I've gotten more 'used' to the sound signature, or the break-in has begun (which I don't doubt). Remember, I took these straight out of the pack, did fit tests and then started listening, so the initial notes played were right into my ears. And I thought, oh no... these are crap. But as the music played and I wrote my impressions, things changed somewhat are they are certainly not crap. How much 'not-crap' they are will be found out this weekend.
wink_face.gif

Thanks for your encouragement, recommendations and patience as I plod through these.

shane

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #290 of 1,380
nice first impression :) I look forward to your thoughts on them as you get used to the sound from both of them.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #292 of 1,380
Shane, your early impressions make me laugh.  I wouldn't know a mhz if it punched me in the throat, so good on ya for being able to analyse so specifically.

Which reminds me - is there a frequency response graph for the SM3 anywhere?  I like looking at graphs and stroking my chin like I understand them.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #294 of 1,380

Quote:
Shane, your early impressions make me laugh.  I wouldn't know a mhz if it punched me in the throat, so good on ya for being able to analyse so specifically.

Which reminds me - is there a frequency response graph for the SM3 anywhere?  I like looking at graphs and stroking my chin like I understand them.

Ha! These are out-of-my-arse guesses at where I think these ups and downs are. Pretty pathetic, but thanks for the compliment (well... that's how I took it anyway
biggrin.gif
)
That's why I said this weekend I'll run test tones and get a bit more specific on where my hearing feels these peaks and valleys are.
I'll also run more music through them and see if they change any more. The SE535 changed as did just about everything I've ever heard. It is mechanical after all (but I don't want to get into that row...).

Anyway... yes me too. I'd love to actually see a professionally created graph of these. After I do my tests (as seeing it beforehand could colour my 'objectivity').
Got a picture of you rubbing your chin in front of a graph? 
wink_face.gif

shane

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #296 of 1,380

Quote:
Thanks Shane for you impression. Did you order the DBA as well? Hope to see your review soon!

Yes I did order the DBA. Very anxious to hear it, but I have a wait. Probably near the end of August...
frown.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #298 of 1,380
These are the pictures I took on Tuesday. I also posted these in a Chinese forum to introduce the SM3. It is a pity that most people there had poor information about EarSonics and the SM3. So far I know some people are with an eye on the SM3 and consider to place an order.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #299 of 1,380
Quick solution to the Comply high attenuation problem;

Cut off the overhanging end of the ear tip (the foam part beyond the inner tube) and you'll get your highs back again.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #300 of 1,380

Quote:
These are the pictures I took on Tuesday. I also posted these in a Chinese forum to introduce the SM3. It is a pity that most people there had poor information about EarSonics and the SM3. So far I know some people are with an eye on the SM3 and consider to place an order.

Very nice pictures. Mind providing the link to the Chinese forum you mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back