The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jun 29, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #331 of 2,712
V
Well, if the battery life is an issue you can always get extra batteries, since 18650 batteries are pretty common and you can get them easily. Provided that they are using a common Panasonic 18650 batteries and how easy we can change them. We will know once the instructions are out.

Leave that for now, I am more concern whether there will be audible hiss/ noise when we are pairing with sensitive iem. At least they are present in the previous continental If I am not wrong after reading the old thread.

Very easy to access and replace!

Cheers

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #332 of 2,712
V
Very easy to access and replace!

Cheers

Finally able to see the amp get stripped naked. Any comment on the tonality or initial impression? Waiting for your in depth review. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #333 of 2,712
Finally able to see the amp get stripped naked. Any comment on the tonality or initial impression? Waiting for your in depth review. :beerchug:  

Some of the best I've ever heard my K10's sound - and I've heard quite a bit. The CDM is hot stuff, literally and figuratively. Cheers

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #334 of 2,712
For you Astell and Kern users out there we also have a very nice 2.5mm balanced to 2.5mm balanced interconnect that will allow you to pull the balanced signal off your AK player and send it to your CDMs balanced INPUT.

It features AK gold plated hardware we bought from Astell and Kern, then our SXC22 wire we had made at ALO. 

For more information you can purchase them HERE

Thank you

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 1, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #336 of 2,712
Well, I just received my CDM and had a chance for a quick listen before charging. All I can say is WOW. My Angies sound wonderful. Deep bass presence and the kick of a larger, more powerful amp in such a small unit. Amazing. I have found my endgame portable amp/DAC.

CJ

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #338 of 2,712
  mmm....what about with your LCD 3 and other HPs?

Haven't tried them yet.
:)

The CDM is really pretty to look at, I must admit.  Definitely a conversation starter...

CJ

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #340 of 2,712
mmmm......so I got some good news from my dealer: the CDM is coming next week. Definitely. So, I was like "sure?" So, he was like "yes, yes, it is sure." So, I was like "no kidding or are you just kidding me?" And he was like "no, no. I kid you not." So I was like "so sure you'll give me an additional 10% off if it's not here next week." So, he was like ".............mmm.....let me think." So, I was like "oh okay, bye." Hours later, we had the a similar exchange about the elusive CDM. <sigh>

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #341 of 2,712

Haven't tried them yet.

The CDM is really pretty to look at, I must admit.  Definitely a conversation starter...

CJ

Well, I just received my CDM and had a chance for a quick listen before charging. All I can say is WOW. My Angies sound wonderful. Deep bass presence and the kick of a larger, more powerful amp in such a small unit. Amazing. I have found my endgame portable amp/DAC.

CJ

mmm....so to help put your emotions about the CDM  in perspective, when you first heard the CDM: was it: a.) meh, just another trying hard copycat moment like when Ballmer introduced the Microsoft Surface or b.) wow....I love it. I need it. Take my money moment like when Steve Jobs pulled the original MacBook Air from a Manila envelope ??????

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #342 of 2,712
Haven't tried them yet.

CJ

Some observations:
- it does get somewhat hot, even idle; no putting this in my pocket...
- it needs good ventilation as it heats up what it's sitting on;
- when holding, the edges are sharp but it helps to prevent it from slipping out of my hands
- the enclosure seems a bit on the thin side which may help heat dissipation
- it's not light but it has a nice heft to it

Here it is connected to an AK 120ii via balanced cable:

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #343 of 2,712

mmm....so to help put your emotions about the CDM  in perspective, when you first heard the CDM: was it: a.) meh, just another trying hard copycat moment like when Ballmer introduced the Microsoft Surface or b.) wow....I love it. I need it. Take my money moment like when Steve Jobs pulled the original MacBook Air from a Manila envelope ??????

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but when I listened to Vinnie's at AXPONA my reaction was definitely option B. The most surprising part is that it took less than a minute to hit that point, I estimate around 45 seconds to be precise. It was an instant hit with me. I was ready to shower Vinnie with money but of course he couldn't sell his only pre-production unit.

Some observations:
- it does get somewhat hot, even idle; no putting this in my pocket...
- it needs good ventilation as it heats up what it's sitting on;
- when holding, the edges are sharp but it helps to prevent it from slipping out of my hands
- the enclosure seems a bit on the thin side which may help heat dissipation
- it's not light but it has a nice heft to it

Yup, I wouldn't advise carrying the CDM in a pocket. The side vents need to breathe. And while it's not light have you held Woo's WA8? That thing is super heavy, partially out of necessity and partially to discourage people carrying it in their pockets. The CDM is a good deal lighter and more portable as a result.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #344 of 2,712
I received my preorder yesterday at work.  Of course, I dropped everything I was doing, shut my office door, and opened my present!  :wink:  

It *is* larger than expected - and bigger than my old mobile rig.  (I'm trying to attach a photo of it next to my old portable unit, but since I've got a new Head-Fi account, it's not giving me permission to do that yet.  Or I don't know how....  Any suggestions?)

My two headphones are Senn. HD700's, and JH-13 (Freq-phase) IEM's - both with Moon Audio Black Dragon balanced cables.

When first plugged in, I was a little underwhelmed - and with some sleuthing saw found that my Mac settings kept forcing the DAC to 44.1kHz.  Oops.  At full resolution it was a different beast, entirely!  If I only had a couple words to describe it, they would be open, effortless, liquid.  It's a very, very refined tube amp sound.  

The HD700's opened-up in a way I've not heard them before... yes, the soundstage widened, with more detail and space.  But what really struck me wasn't audiophile fireworks, but how liquid and effortless the sound flowed... it just comes with nothing blocking it.  It's an extremely well-designed - and mature - presentation.  

What really struck me was the response on my JH-13's!  I use them all the time for working on my laptop in loud environments / traveling.  They're great, but I didn't have much expectations for them to improve.  Wow, was I wrong!  I've never heard them play anything like this!!!  Background noise was zero (really!).  Soundstage moved from "inside" my brain to an encompassing experience.  And the details... man.  

I've always been a tube guy.  The biggest challenge I've had with my IEMs is making them sound "musical & liquid".  My last stack (Continental v.3 + Centrance DACport) had a magic to make the JH-13's warm and enjoyable... but the sound was fat, bloated, and artificially warm at the expense of articulation.  And, it was noisy.  The CDM finally did the trick!  At my main desk, I'm finding myself enjoying my JH-13's more than my HD700's.  Not my typical experience!!

I let the unit play overnight (man it does get warm!), and its sound has significantly improved.  I'd say the break-in is somewhat necessary to evaluate.  Now, the CDM is just *invisible*.  Even trying to analyze it's sound, it's hard to focus on what the unit sounds like.  Its just "out of the way", and lets the music flow through.  Even the most dense recordings I have are being opened-up with subtle layers separated - not analytical, but musically.

Oh, and never before have there been such a *requirement* to use Pure Music, Amarra, etc...  The CDM can keep up with the source material.  Still, MP3 streaming on Spotify is still enjoyable if I'm not being picky and focussing on work.  PureMusic makes a big difference for the MP3 streaming quality thru my Mac, too.

Overall, I'm extremely happy!  My old Continental v.3 + DACport has served me well... but it's time to let them go to someone else on their journey.  I've arrived at a destination I'm thrilled with!  Thanks to Ken, Vinnie, and all those who made this happen.  Well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back