The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jun 25, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #301 of 2,704
  I mostly listen to Tidal. However there is some music that is not available for streaming and therefore will be played from Apple's upcoming Apple Music service. My question to this forum is if I am not listening to HIFI music is it worth dropping $1500 on the CDM and a pair of HD800's?

mmm......if I were in your place, I'd skip the purchase if the system were to be used for streaming service that does not offer high-res format. It is pointless. That's like serving McD's on expensive china. Buy hey, it is your money.......

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #302 of 2,704

mmm......if I were in your place, I'd skip the purchase if the system were to be used for streaming service that does not offer high-res format. It is pointless. That's like serving McD's on expensive china. Buy hey, it is your money.......

Tidal's actually pretty good in terms of SQ - better than most of the other streaming services I've tried. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #303 of 2,704
  replace the HD 800's with any "high end" headphone. Basically is a expensive setup that includes the CDM worth the money if the music is not HIFI?

That's an incredibly personal question that nobody can answer for you. I can tell you my opinion but everyone's thoughts on what's "worth it" and what isn't will vary. For me the CDM is absolutely worth it, that's why I'm buying one. My MrSpeakers ETHER were ordered with an extra 2.5mm TRRS terminated cable for use with the CDM on the road.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #304 of 2,704
  Tidal's actually pretty good in terms of SQ - better than most of the other streaming services I've tried. 

mmm....I was referring to Apple Music since it was  mentioned it in his  post.. It is no better than iTunes Plus @ 256 kbps. Yes, I agree that Tidal is more audiophile-oriented rather than consumer/mass market-oriented. As an Apple believer, I was hugely disappointed that Apple, Inc. decided not to ramp up the quality of Apple Music and insisted on following the crowded field of music streamers like Spotify and Pandora. There's no product feature differentiator. Even the pricing are similar. Apple Music is a me-too.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #305 of 2,704
  replace the HD 800's with any "high end" headphone. Basically is a expensive setup that includes the CDM worth the money if the music is not HIFI?

I'm not sure what you meant about replacing the HD 800's, but I have an answer to your other question. Whether or not any upgrade in audio equipment would benefit if the music is not if hi-fi would be an entirely subjective answer that would vary vastly for each individual, as well as, IMO, would be mainly influenced by the mastering quality of the source music and the bit-rate / codec it's encoded to.

I would say that MP3s have the potential to sound 1/3rd as good as WAV at best, being their highest bitrate is 320k; while AAC seem to sound as decent yet at a slightly lower bitrate. OGG I would say is 2nd best to WAV at its' maximum encoding of around 400-600k (variable bitrate), while FLAC and WAV sound comparible, especially at the "0" encoding which is FLAC's least compressed conversion level. There are even better formats than WAV (which is CD quality of 1411k), such as DSD, AKA SACD format.

However, the underlying aspect of all music quality is the mastering; in which the audio engineer (if there is one) makes the music in a way that utilizes a broad spectrum of frequencies in a lifelike way and uses compression / stereo imaging, levels, reverb, etc. properly. If this is done poorly then it can actually sound better or a crappy system because hi-end gear often reveals these flaws so an audio equipment upgrade is pointless; whereas a well recorded song may have fine details that can only be heard on a hi-end system yet not noticeable at all on a crappy system.

So I would say, as long as your music is mastered half good and is at least 256k AAC format, an upgrade in DAC / AMP / headphones would still make your music shine noticeably better! For me, when I tried out the CDM, I was forever in awe of its' unlikely pairing with Chinese budget audiophile headphones called SoundMagic HP 100. It made these sub $300-ish headphones shine in a way I've never heard them before with a 3D soundstage that was like stepping into the middle of a new reality, full of lush vivid textures across the entire spectrum. But that's not to say another headphone can also pair as handsomely with the CDM as well.

... not to mention the HP 100 sounded this good just out of the SE output, and it's also a closed headphone.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #307 of 2,704
Mmmm......please STOP using words like "I was in forever in awe....".................it is patently offensive to those who are still waiting for their CDM to arrive! Have mercy
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait no more! 

Shipping now !!!  :wink: please order away we still have them in stock.

Thank you all for everyones patience! For those who pre ordered I included a set of Raytheon 6111 tubes pre installed on the CDM tube boards with your order... Please stay tuned to the updates on the CDM tube rolling thread as I will have a myriad of tube rolling options updated and for sale.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770307/continental-dual-mono-tube-rolling-tread

I started a FAQ page here as well that contains all the drivers needed. Please note that this page is a work in progress so please continue to check for updates.

http://www.aloaudio.com/cdm-faq

Thank you all,

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 26, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #309 of 2,704
Hi Ken, will you be emailing tracking numbers?

Yes when ever we ship the system automatically sends the tracking number to the email address you supplied when you created your account.

I think most will ship on Monday.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #310 of 2,704
Wait no more! 

Shipping now !!!  :wink: please order away we still have them in stock.

Thank you all for everyones patience! For those who pre ordered I included a set of Raytheon 6111 tubes pre installed on the CDM tube boards with your order... Please stay tuned to the updates on the CDM tube rolling thread as I will have a myriad of tube rolling options updated and for sale.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770307/continental-dual-mono-tube-rolling-tread

I started a FAQ page here as well that contains all the drivers needed. Please note that this page is a work in progress so please continue to check for updates.

http://www.aloaudio.com/cdm-faq

Thank you all,

ken

Hi, does that mean there will be different tube installed for preorder and stock CDM?

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #311 of 2,704
Congrats to those who preordered, waiting for your insights on what seems to be my must next purchase. Only if the universe could work its magic and the aussie dollar became strong again or I got a raise out of nowhere but no nothing like that.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #312 of 2,704
Hi, does that mean there will be different tube installed for preorder and stock CDM?

No, the preorder ones ship with the Phillips 6111WA tube installed but also comes with a set of Raytheon 6111s loose. So if you want to install the loose Raytheon ones all you need to do is open the enclosure and pull out the Phillips ones and plug in the Raytheons.

Thanks

Ken

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #314 of 2,704
I think ALO is working on a plug n play solution for the future and they will also offer boards for users to experiment for themselves if they wish to do so, that is what I have gathered so far. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #315 of 2,704
  mmm......no soldering required. I suck at soldering. My dealer here just emailed his contact. He is excited as well.

Waiting for your impression. I am considering between this and hugo. 

Also,
coming from a flashlight moderate collector, does the 18650 battery uses on battery protection or in the charging module?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back