The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jun 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #273 of 2,704
  Hi guys, sorry, I was referring to hiss noise from the computer / DAC. For $1500 it should be near silent. 

Noise from the computer cannot be corrected without additional hardware. It's up to the computer to deliver clean signal to the DAC, not the DAC's job. I recommend finding a low-noise USB port on the computer or investing in something like the Schiit Wyrd to go between the source and DAC. The CDM itself wasn't generating any obvious noise to my ears when I heard it.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #275 of 2,704

Noise from the computer cannot be corrected without additional hardware. It's up to the computer to deliver clean signal to the DAC, not the DAC's job. I recommend finding a low-noise USB port on the computer or investing in something like the Schiit Wyrd to go between the source and DAC. The CDM itself wasn't generating any obvious noise to my ears when I heard it.

Thanks for this! I did not know. BTW what about the Iphone 6 and the CDM?

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #276 of 2,704
  Just checked my local prices, $2199 AUD, ouch!

mmmm......just take care of it and amortize the initial capital outlay. If the CDM lasts 5 years, that's like paying 439 AUD per annum. That's how I justify (to myself) expensive headfi  gear. I figure, since I am all-in and I am approaching that age when in a few more years, my hearing will go to hell, I might as well enjoy the best headfi gear that I can afford. At some point, the only headfi gear I will be enjoying is a pair of hearing aids :). I'm not waiting for that day to enjoy life.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #278 of 2,704

Is there anything like the Schiit Wyrd that is smaller and a little more portable?

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #280 of 2,704
  Is there anything like the Schiit Wyrd that is smaller and a little more portable?

Typed "USB isolator" into Google and here's what came up that seems to be more portable, although I have no idea if this does the exact same thing as the Wyrd. 

http://hifimediy.com/usb-isolator

Cheers 

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #281 of 2,704
mmmm......my favorite headfi dealer here in my part of the headfi world says "the CDM is supposed to arrive this week," which I take to mean as DELAYED arrival. Oh fudge.........the suspense is killing me. ;(

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #282 of 2,704

Typed "USB isolator" into Google and here's what came up that seems to be more portable, although I have no idea if this does the exact same thing as the Wyrd. 

http://hifimediy.com/usb-isolator

Cheers 

Nice price on the USB isolator (came across it couple months ago) but it has a few limitations: max 200mA power, max 24-bit/96khz, and max 12Mbps speed. Won't work with some dacs and far from future proof.

This one is quite a bit more expensive but slightly less than iFi's iUSB (and better reviews from what I've read):
http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

I was close to ordering a Regen but decided to go for a better amp instead. Still wanna get one though for my iDSD Micro and any future usb dacs (incl. the CDM if I can ever afford one).

However, compared to other usb dacs, I doubt you'd see as much improvement using either with the CDM since (I believe Ken or Vinnie stated) it does not receive any power over usb. The CDM runs on battery power or must be plugged in; similarly, to reduce noise over usb.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #284 of 2,704
Mscott58, I think what they're trying to tell you is that the CDM already has an isolated power supply so the point of electrical USB isolation will be redundant. I suppose that does leave open the question of whether the other signal enhancement features of the USB cleaner unit would still further refine the sound. I'll try my CDM with my Wyrd... after I get a better job to save for it (that's coming soon) 
L3000.gif

Guys don't forget to post any comments / impressions after you get to spend some quality time trying out the CDM. And remember like the designer said, you can get more volume out of the balanced connection. We would love to hear your reviews - positive and negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back