The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #316 of 2,704
  Waiting for your impression. I am considering between this and hugo. 

Also,
coming from a flashlight moderate collector, does the 18650 battery uses on battery protection or in the charging module?

Hi EH-Yeon,

The battery protection is in a small PCB built into the battery pack.  There are 3 cells in series (11.1V) - and the pack itself
is protected from over and under voltage, and short circuit conditions.

Maybe ALO has a picture of the battery pack to show what it looks like?

Vinnie

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #317 of 2,704
Hi EH-Yeon,

The battery protection is in a small PCB built into the battery pack.  There are 3 cells in series (11.1V) - and the pack itself
is protected from over and under voltage, and short circuit conditions.

Maybe ALO has a picture of the battery pack to show what it looks like?

Vinnie

Vinnie - How do you know when the battery is done charging? Does it have an LED like the Rx? Cheers

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #319 of 2,704
Jun 27, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #320 of 2,704
mmm.....if the charger is similar in function to  the charger for the Alo The PanAm/Passport, the LED changes color to denote the charge state. If memory serves me right, red LED - still charging, yellow - almost charged and  green LED - fully charged PanAm/Passport.  

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #321 of 2,704
  mmm.....if the charger is similar in function to  the charger for the Alo The PanAm/Passport, the LED changes color to denote the charge state. If memory serves me right, red LED - still charging, yellow - almost charged and  green LED - fully charged PanAm/Passport.  

Yeah, that seems to be correct. It shows red while charging and then green when charged. Cheers 

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #322 of 2,704
Battery life sounds like an issue to me,7 hours and less than that using DAC and we all know these numbers are inflated to begin with....i recognize size issues but battery life should be better

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #323 of 2,704
  Battery life sounds like an issue to me,7 hours and less than that using DAC and we all know these numbers are inflated to begin with....i recognize size issues but battery life should be better

Seeing that the CDM runs in Class A and powers two vacuum tubes and gets very warm during operation IMHO 7 hours of battery life is highly respectable! This is not meant to be your run-of-the-mill portable DAC/amp. Cheers

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #324 of 2,704
Well it sounds like a case of 'bang for the size', where they probably had to strike a balance between it being too heavy vs. battery life. But when do you really need 7-ish hour battery life? A daily commute should be just fine both ways, and for any overseas journey you can just take along a portable power-bank. These Range anywhere from $10-100 and can charge almost any portable device on the go, even several times each depending. Otherwise I would usually just use it's DAC and/or amp at home and battery life wouldn't be an issue using the wall outlet.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #325 of 2,704
Well, if the battery life is an issue you can always get extra batteries, since 18650 batteries are pretty common and you can get them easily. Provided that they are using a common Panasonic 18650 batteries and how easy we can change them. We will know once the instructions are out.

Leave that for now, I am more concern whether there will be audible hiss/ noise when we are pairing with sensitive iem. At least they are present in the previous continental If I am not wrong after reading the old thread.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #326 of 2,704
Well, if the battery life is an issue you can always get extra batteries, since 18650 batteries are pretty common and you can get them easily. Provided that they are using a common Panasonic 18650 batteries and how easy we can change them. We will know once the instructions are out.

Leave that for now, I am more concern whether there will be audible hiss/ noise when we are pairing with sensitive iem. At least they are present in the previous continental If I am not wrong after reading the old thread.

Listening to the CDM right now with my K-10s and no "hiss" issue unless I put the gain setting to "High", and then it is indeed noticeable. However there is no need to run the CDM on "High" gain with IEMs like the K-10's as the "Low" setting is more than enough to drive my Noble's to ear-hurting volumes. Cheers 

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #327 of 2,704
Listening to the CDM right now with my K-10s and no "hiss" issue unless I put the gain setting to "High", and then it is indeed noticeable. However there is no need to run the CDM on "High" gain with IEMs like the K-10's as the "Low" setting is more than enough to drive my Noble's to ear-hurting volumes. Cheers 

Cool, waiting for your lethal poison injection.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #328 of 2,704
Cool, waiting for your lethal poison injection.

Ha! Nice. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #329 of 2,704
All,

The charger than we supply with the CDM is a good switching charger you can charge while listening and there is no noise it is very quite. FYI.

Thanks all 

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 29, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #330 of 2,704
  Well it sounds like a case of 'bang for the size', where they probably had to strike a balance between it being too heavy vs. battery life. But when do you really need 7-ish hour battery life? A daily commute should be just fine both ways, and for any overseas journey you can just take along a portable power-bank. These Range anywhere from $10-100 and can charge almost any portable device on the go, even several times each depending. Otherwise I would usually just use it's DAC and/or amp at home and battery life wouldn't be an issue using the wall outlet.

mmm.....a run-of-the mill power bank that outputs 5 volts (1.5 to 2 amps) can recharge the CDM??? Is this possible/safe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back