The AKG K701 - Friend or Foe - Mods that may help others
Nov 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #107 of 133

Quote:
Quote:
x2.  i would also recommend that anyone who finds the upper-mids strident to try rolling some K601 pads.

Does the fact they aren't angled reduce soundstage at all?

you get a less "focused" soundstage and images.  the K601 pads put you closer to the front row, giving you a more diffuse soundstage and images appear bigger.  it's a more relaxing sonic experience with a better/smoother frequency integration from bass to treble.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #110 of 133

X2 I wasn't happy with the mod originally because I had the opening pointing straight ahead. Once I angled it down towards the mouth... nice! They're not so overly light and airy and thin sounding with this mod....they're smoother and fuller. I hope it's not just a placebo....or expectation bias, but I don't think it is because I wasn't too happy with the mod when the opening wasn't positioned correctly...and I was expecting improvement just the same.  Thanks yklee
Quote:
Already tried and tested....  it was crazy to find out such a simple way to improve the sound...

It sounded more elegant and smoother (in good manner, i would say).

Thx YKL

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #111 of 133
It's not placebo. I was able to compare back and forth with a stock K702 at a local meet - this mod does do what people says it does.

Since then I've evolved the mod further and adopted ApatN's much more extreme filter-mod - now this I really like! The original mod is a subtle little extra bit of weight and warmth while ApatNs transforms the cans into a much more realistic, much more musical can. The soundstage is reduced further still but its still pretty big.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #112 of 133
[size=medium]
Totally forgot to post pics, sorry sorry sorry! So here are some pics of my "occo" dampening setup. :)
[/size]

ltr: fleece, filter, felt, original ring.

Again: fleece goes under, original foam on top. I have tried changing stuff (felt under for example) but I keep coming back to this. EddieE said the soundstage is slightly reduced and I thought that was the case but with all the modding I did I can't quite remember how the original was. :wink: Not going to try either as this sounds way better than stock to my ears.
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #113 of 133
Thanks for the photos. I man try to pick up that 'fleece' because my mod is very similar...only without the fleece. I'm using the fake 'chamois' cloth covered by the original foam. I leave the opening open, since originally I didn't care for the electrical tape 'reflectors'  What you are calling fleece looks like what are referred to as 'kitchen cleaning cloths' here....or something similar. I like them now with my mod as is, but a bit more fuller/weighty mids wouldn't hurt... as long as the detail doesn't suffer. Prior to finding this thread was seriously considering selling them and getting the k601. I'm really curious...has anyone compared a modded 70X with a 601?

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #114 of 133
You are right, the fleece is used for cleaning. With all the things I used it for I find that it kills peakiness in the highs.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #115 of 133
Found something that seems to work well. My girlfriend has some face wipes(thin synthetic face cleaning cloths), and she was complaining to me yesterday that they dried out....ahha...and she never threw away the package....so... seems now I've got a slightly warmer mod. May be a bit too warm though....need to do some more listening with this. But prior to doing any modding I could barely listen to some of the tunes on the Beatles 'Rubber Soul'. The upper mids were killing me....TOO prominent....at least for my taste. This definitely kills some of those peaks, which were one of my major complaints about them...but I think it may be killing some detail. I guess there's always a trade off. Still need to try the original mod with the 'reflectors' in place and compare the two.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #116 of 133
Took the original foam out and the sound is a bit clearer while still cutting the peaky upper mids. I lost too much detail and clarity with both the face cleaning cloth AND the original foam in place. I still need to try to dig up that 'fleece' cleaning cloth. It looks a bit more porous than the face cleaning cloth I'm using now. Next up is to try the original mod that the OP did... and put the 'reflectors' back in place.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #117 of 133
What exactly do you mean with reflectors?

From all the testing I did I found that the original foam is pretty good to balance the sound out. It were just the peaks that made me not want to listen to the K701s so therefore my first try to kill the peaks was the kitchen fleece. The thing with the stuff is is that if you use too much layers you get muffled sound so I had to think of something.
The idea behind my current setup was that I didn't want to stuff things with fleece. I tried felt but without a cut-out things got muffled and with a cut-out there were still peaks. I decided that to try the filter stuff and it cured quite a bit of the treble glare (but not the peaks). Add in the fleece and it sounds quite nice. :) Also, I didn't want the felt directly on the driver because the idea was to let the driver breathe while retaining the warmth of the felt so the filter and fleece should be on the driver and the felt above that (it's more dense than the fleece and filter). Then the stock ring to "balance things out".

Yep, all quite ridiculous but it's how I found this. :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #118 of 133

Thanks...interesting what we go through to get this mod sounding best....but it's definitely worth experimenting if someone has a problem with the original sound signature. I'm going to try to dig up some of the same kind of kitchen 'fleece' that you're using. As for the reflectors....those are the original pieces that were cut out from the fake 'chamois' cloth in the original mod. They are covered with electrical tape and then put back in place...tape facing in toward the driver. There should be a photo on page 1.
Quote:
What exactly do you mean with reflectors?

From all the testing I did I found that the original foam is pretty good to balance the sound out. It were just the peaks that made me not want to listen to the K701s so therefore my first try to kill the peaks was the kitchen fleece. The thing with the stuff is is that if you use too much layers you get muffled sound so I had to think of something.
The idea behind my current setup was that I didn't want to stuff things with fleece. I tried felt but without a cut-out things got muffled and with a cut-out there were still peaks. I decided that to try the filter stuff and it cured quite a bit of the treble glare (but not the peaks). Add in the fleece and it sounds quite nice. :) Also, I didn't want the felt directly on the driver because the idea was to let the driver breathe while retaining the warmth of the felt so the filter and fleece should be on the driver and the felt above that (it's more dense than the fleece and filter). Then the stock ring to "balance things out".

Yep, all quite ridiculous but it's how I found this. :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #119 of 133
popcorn.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #120 of 133
Can anyone else comment on how much this mod reduces soundstage? If it's quite noticeable I'm not sure this mod is for me. After all I did buy the K702s for that very reason. Soundstage first and foremost...everything else I can live with :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back