The AKG K701 - Friend or Foe - Mods that may help others
Dec 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #121 of 133
It is removable so don't hurt to try for yourself.

The best way I have found to get better bass is to compress the cushions and get your oils into the surface of the pad. The oils will seal with your skin easier and the denser cushion helps the bass keep some impact. You can experience this by spreading your fingers to the outer edge and slowly push down a quarter inch or so and the character of the headphone changes. To soften your surface and help compress the foam, hand wash them, rinse well and put under some weight to let them dry.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #122 of 133
I suppose once you get 'your oils' into the pads it might make them less attractive for resale?
wink_face.gif

You might have to buy new pads for them if you decide to sell them. I found I got very decent bass with the mod as I did it though. The mod warms them up and makes them a bit less on the bright side of the scale. It doesn't seem to give the mids any more weight/solidity, though, which is what I really hoped to get out of it.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #123 of 133

Quote:
Can anyone else comment on how much this mod reduces soundstage? If it's quite noticeable I'm not sure this mod is for me. After all I did buy the K702s for that very reason. Soundstage first and foremost...everything else I can live with
wink.gif

Around 5% I guess. It's a very small trade-off for what you get in return. :)

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #124 of 133

Quote:
[size=medium]
Totally forgot to post pics, sorry sorry sorry! So here are some pics of my "occo" dampening setup. :)
[/size]

ltr: fleece, filter, felt, original ring.

Again: fleece goes under, original foam on top. I have tried changing stuff (felt under for example) but I keep coming back to this. EddieE said the soundstage is slightly reduced and I thought that was the case but with all the modding I did I can't quite remember how the original was. :wink: Not going to try either as this sounds way better than stock to my ears.
beerchug.gif

Meanwhile I desired a bit more air so I removed the felt ring. You lose some warmth and kickbass but much of its K701ness is back now which I missed after a while.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #125 of 133
i 've tried putting a pleather ear pads on top of the k701 pads. the pleather pads look somewhat similar to a denon d2000 but cheaper quality and thinner, but its the type of pads that would produce angled driver. the sound is changed dramatically. This is the first mod i did where no frequency is muffled. The bass is louder, only the deeper bass is 'amplified', but it does not make the bass slower, because i feel only lower bass is louder, it actually has faster bass and lower, louder than original. the high is less bright.The driver is now even further frm your ear and more angled, so the soundstage is even bigger and comes a bit more from the front. imaging is better. up to now it might sound like a hoax because you know there is no perfect mod, there must be something worse. Although nothing is muffled, i think there is problem with the mid. It's hard to describe , but it sounds less natural than the original k701. some ppl might find this annoying, maybe  even i will, but at the moment, i'm verry happy with the bass. It would say it rather 'transform' the bass than make it a bit better.
hope someone will try this out and give some opinion.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #126 of 133
I hoped for a bit more bass out of them k701, wonderful set though.  Interesting ideas here.  Shame, I listed my K701 recently, hopefully someone will pick it up.  Doesnt work well with my amping, its too needy and I didnt expect that.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #128 of 133
Hi there,

i see that Uncle George did the trick & I would need to recable my K701 as the default cable is too short when i'm sitting in the living room.

by thinking of recabling it, other questions came:
do i make one cable by side or just replace the existing one?
do i make the cable(s) detachable?

i'm located in France, and wanted to order the cable on the Audiophonics website
which one do you recommend me?

thank you in advance for you help!

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #129 of 133
Quote:
quote.gif

I hoped for a bit more bass out of them k701, wonderful set though.  Interesting ideas here.  Shame, I listed my K701 recently, hopefully someone will pick it up.  Doesnt work well with my amping, its too needy and I didnt expect that.

I just read in another thread that the K701 "sounds terrible" with electro music, can anyone confirm this?

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #131 of 133
Just to add that electronic music material often have questionable production and k70x will point that out with ease. Generally speaking, tech, progressive and ambient electro music goes hand in hand with akg.
Quote:
I just read in another thread that the K701 "sounds terrible" with electro music, can anyone confirm this?

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #132 of 133
Quote:

With my own build WNA MKII they sound very good with all kind of music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back