The AKG K701 - Friend or Foe - Mods that may help others
Nov 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #91 of 133

Quote:

Friday I will post images of the final mod.  Please everybody be patient.

and Friday came and went...

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #92 of 133
Please read the first page of the post.  I decided to add to the original thread instead of posting additional info.  Please read the first page.  Thanks

Friday came and went to the first page of the post.  Don't just jump to the end.  SOme of us may want to just add to the original rather than create a separate post.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #93 of 133

Quote:
Please read the first page of the post.  I decided to add to the original thread instead of posting additional info.  Please read the first page.  Thanks

Friday came and went to the first page of the post.  Don't just jump to the end.  SOme of us may want to just add to the original rather than create a separate post.

Excellent, thanks for that. And apologies for not checking the first post before. I can't wait to study the pics in detail and try this mod myself!

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #95 of 133
i dont have the material that you used, but i was so excited hearing about a mod for k701 i tried with everything i have. I have modded grado, orthodynamics... and love modding. anyway i tried all mod with the reflector and all the high does remain but less harsh. first i tried thick 100% wool felt ( 4mm) and result is similar to unmoded k701. then i use memory foam, which i believed would bring up the bass from previous orthodynamic headphones experience, and it did. however i was not satisfied with the amount of bass and add the wool felt on top and voila!!! I'm happy with the result. the trouble with increasing the bass of any headphones is making it boomier, and mess up other frequencies and less soundstage ( prvious experiences). however this was the first mod i can bring up the bass without messing frequencies ( in this case it is flater i believe and soundstage. goodjob yklee118. I will try different materials though, but happy with the sound now.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #96 of 133
I am toying around with this right now, though I don't have any fake chamois on hand.

I have tried very thin fleece, fake leather and perforated fake leather. I found that these things are a b*tch to dampen properly. Also, you really want a hole in whatever kind of dampening material you use. Otherwise you lose a lot of detail.

Felt is up next and after that I will have to try some fake chamois. Is real chamois good too?

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #97 of 133
I now have a dampening setup that I am pretty happy with. I used two layers of cleaning fleece (great to reduce treble in any headphone) + one layer of fleece with a cut-out. All of the layers have a hole in the middle. The cut-out in the felt is pointed towards the front. EDIT: The stock foam is on top of the mentioned stuff.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #98 of 133
Is the need for EQ reduced or entirely unnecessary with this dampening-setup?

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #100 of 133
apatN likes it the same way as I do: around 2-5kHz EQ'ed down. So that was my exact question. But I already got the answer in a PM: EQ'ing is unnecessary with the dampening (according to his ears, of course :))

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #101 of 133
Yep, it's a funny story actually. I went over to his house so I could listen to his Alessandro and he could try my modded Beyer. I also brought along the K701 because I thought they were pretty nice but had a serious flaw. We found out that with some EQ the K701 is a phenomenal headphone!

With the dampening right now the shrillness is gone but there is still a bit of glare present in the treble. I am going to see if I can reduce that too.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #102 of 133
Think I found it: one layer of thin fleece, one layer of kitchen filter (I have no idea how to properly use this other than for dampening reasons :p), one layer of felt with a cut-out, original foam. Again, all layers have a hole in the middle and the cut-out in the felt is pointed towards the front.

Here is a picture of the stuff I used. You can see the filter stuff in the back (white) and the fleece in the front (green). The felt I used is not in the picture but it's standard felt, around 1,5mm thick I guess.

All the harshness was already gone but rather than stuffing the baffle with fleece I used the filter stuff. This seems more natural. It blocks the peakiness in the treble without muffling the sound. I ever so slightly had the idea that fleece only killed some details and openness. With the filter stuff in place everything is still very much K701-y but better (imo). I especially love the mids. The vocals might be the best I ever heard in a pair of headphones. FWIW, the DT880s fall smack down on the floor when it comes to mids when compared to the K701.

I still hardly believe what tinkering has done with these cans. The stock K701s are acceptable cans; they have a huge and precise (I value this a lot in a pair of phones) soundstage, great attack and speed etc but they were not neutral sounding at all. That fact became very much clear when I was at another head-fier's who EQ'ed the treble down a little. They were suddenly a different pair of phones and I think that with this mod I simulated that EQ.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #104 of 133
Hey ApatN do you think you could post a photo of the whole "sandwhich" you are using to make it clear as possible? 
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #105 of 133

Quote:
Hey ApatN do you think you could post a photo of the whole "sandwhich" you are using to make it clear as possible? 
smile.gif

x2.  i would also recommend that anyone who finds the upper-mids strident to try rolling some K601 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back