The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,551 of 2,842
That looks decent. Cables don't make a sound difference but beware of the possibility of microphonics. I bought a silver K712 cable that has a bit of that.
Thanks for your input.

I'm not expecting a sound difference. I just want something more flexible and short.

I take that I can source any 3.5 jack to mini-XLR (3-pin) cable, right?

EDIT: Maybe something like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161686499875?ul_noapp=true

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,552 of 2,842
6D771A5F-E7AF-40B5-ADBB-D8DBC7CBF76F.jpeg
Big Thumps up. For my new 550 mk3. Sounds very good. no harsh treble. great mids and the best comfort. Can wear it hours and hours.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,553 of 2,842
Hello.

I just bought a pair of K550 MK3 and although I love the sound, the stock cable is a nightmare - very stiff and tangle-prone while 3m is a lot longer than I wanted it to be.

Has anyone tried this cable on eBay? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-Cable-for-AKG-K550-K551-K553-K271-K240-K270-K290-and-Cushions-Pads/302773872649?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=54810&meid=0e0cf2cfffce41ec8948c35ad6bae12d&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=302773872649&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Any other aftermarket options?

Thanks

To me, that cable looks very very thin and the strain relief looks rather cheap. I'm often careful with cables that have a braided pattern on them as the material is often thick but the wires inside are often really thin and poor quality.

I found the stock cable to knot easily, but it was very flexible. But did feel on the cheep side. But I'm certain that this ebay listed cable will feel worse than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-TA3F-V...qid=1540504757&sr=8-4&keywords=akg+k702+cable

I use this as a 1m cable with my mk3 k550s. There are many length options. Can even get a 0.5 or 0.75m cable. Or for a bit less you can buy the exact cable, mini XLR socket and 3.5mm plug separately and wire it up yourself (not easy unless you often do this stuff!)

This cable is very thick and robust though. This cable brand often makes this sort of cable to go on tours, just uses different plugs. Not as flexible as some but feels really well made. I didn't get it for a sound upgrade. Just wanted something that was made better and not 3m long.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #2,554 of 2,842
To me, that cable looks very very thin and the strain relief looks rather cheap. I'm often careful with cables that have a braided pattern on them as the material is often thick but the wires inside are often really thin and poor quality.

I found the stock cable to knot easily, but it was very flexible. But did feel on the cheep side. But I'm certain that this ebay listed cable will feel worse than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-TA3F-V...qid=1540504757&sr=8-4&keywords=akg+k702+cable

I use this as a 1m cable with my mk3 k550s. There are many length options. Can even get a 0.5 or 0.75m cable. Or for a bit less you can buy the exact cable, mini XLR socket and 3.5mm plug separately and wire it up yourself (not easy unless you often do this stuff!)

This cable is very thick and robust though. This cable brand often makes this sort of cable to go on tours, just uses different plugs. Not as flexible as some but feels really well made. I didn't get it for a sound upgrade. Just wanted something that was made better and not 3m long.
Thanks for the valuable info.

I was looking at that VanDamme option yesterday but have ended up ordering this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Si...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hope it will be adequate. For me flexibility and a length around 1.3-1.5m were the enquirements. I don't expect ''sound improvements'' nor I fancy anything like that.

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #2,555 of 2,842
Hello.

I just bought a pair of K550 MK3 and although I love the sound, the stock cable is a nightmare - very stiff and tangle-prone while 3m is a lot longer than I wanted it to be.

Has anyone tried this cable on eBay? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-Cable-for-AKG-K550-K551-K553-K271-K240-K270-K290-and-Cushions-Pads/302773872649?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=54810&meid=0e0cf2cfffce41ec8948c35ad6bae12d&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=302773872649&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Any other aftermarket options?

Thanks
I bought this one in the 1-meter length, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's a little stiffer than I'd like, but not to the point of being annoying or distracting.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #2,557 of 2,842
I've had fitting problems all the time with these guys they were so heavy and all the tonal character was changing with the headphones movements around my ears and also some issues with the harsh trebles. Than upgraded it with DT880 completely pleased.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #2,558 of 2,842
I've had fitting problems all the time with these guys they were so heavy and all the tonal character was changing with the headphones movements around my ears and also some issues with the harsh trebles. Than upgraded it with DT880 completely pleased.

The DT880 is a totally different set of headphones. I have them but they are open back, so in terms of preventing leaking sound, they totally fail to do that compared to the K550s. And if you regard heavy as the weight of the headphones, then there is only 19 grams difference between the K550s and the DT880. And if you have a coiled cable with the DT880s, the weight of that hanging out the left side will likely make them the same weight, if not heavier. What will possibly make the K550s feel heavy is that the padding on the headband is thin and the ear cups don't clamp hard at all. Resulting in a good deal of the weight going onto your head with the headband. But i don't seem to find them heavy. If you have the perfect fit with these and use a suitable amplifier, you probably will be able to cut out that treble spike from sounding as harsh. But I've got to say that the DT880s sound very sharp at the top end. This is probably because I have a good fit with the K550s, but the bass on them is far more powerful then the DT880s. But if you intend to not listen to music around other people, then yes, the DT880s are better.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,559 of 2,842
Hello everybody. First message in the forum.

My experience with the AKG K550 MKIII is very positive soundwise but quite negative in terms of comfort. After 20 or 30 minutes my ears get incredibly warm. That ruins everything for me. I know it’s a common problem with these headphones.

I tried the Brainwavz XL hybrid (velour and leather) earpads. They were much more comfortable than the original earpads, no sweating or warm ears. However the sound changed radically becoming, as someone said in this thread, tin can-like. I returned the Brainwavz earpads and am back to square one.

I’m not sure what to do next. I read this and another thread about replacement earpads for the K550 and I’m not clear what the best alternative is. Would it be worth trying the Brainwavz XL in leather? I can’t find the XL sheepskin on Amazon and I’d rather stick with them and avoid problems with returns if I buy from other store. Any other option or brand?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #2,560 of 2,842
Welcome, @Colonel Blimp. :)

My experience with overheating in the K550 was like yours. I have tried a lot of aftermarket pads, and the Brainwavz angled oval pads in leather or plastic leather are the ones that work best for me. They relieve the overheating problem, and don't have the make-everything-tinny problem that the various round pads and flat ovals that I've tried have.

To me the leather angled ovals and the plastic-leather angled ovals sound the same. Comfort is close to being the same. The real-leather one is just a slightly more luxurious product but there's nothing at all wrong with the pleather angled ovals (and they're available in a few colours, if you're tired of black).

I did try the hybrid angled ovals and I didn't like the sonics, so I'm not recommending those.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2,561 of 2,842
Thanks, episiarch.

Finally, I decided to try the Brainwavz XL genuine leather. I wasn't completely convinced I wanted to stretch the angle oval pads. Interestingly, the XL genuine leather are available on Amazon but not on the Brainwavz site. I bought them on Amazon (in the UK) and realised the bag has two stickers. The sticker on top says genuine leather and the one under it says sheepskin leather. My gut tells me they're the same "animal".

After a couple of hours with the XL in leather I can say these earpads don't change the sound as much as the hybrids. I can't say for sure if the sound is exactly the same as with the original earpads though. Anyway, the XL genuine leather earpads are comfortable, keep your ears at a normal temperature and, unless you are very picky with changes in the sound (I'm not), work well with the AKG K550.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,562 of 2,842
Thanks, episiarch.

Finally, I decided to try the Brainwavz XL genuine leather. I wasn't completely convinced I wanted to stretch the angle oval pads. Interestingly, the XL genuine leather are available on Amazon but not on the Brainwavz site. I bought them on Amazon (in the UK) and realised the bag has two stickers. The sticker on top says genuine leather and the one under it says sheepskin leather. My gut tells me they're the same "animal".

After a couple of hours with the XL in leather I can say these earpads don't change the sound as much as the hybrids. I can't say for sure if the sound is exactly the same as with the original earpads though. Anyway, the XL genuine leather earpads are comfortable, keep your ears at a normal temperature and, unless you are very picky with changes in the sound (I'm not), work well with the AKG K550.

Thanks for the info, I too am fed up with the overheating issue have to keep giving my ears a breathing break every 20-30 mins! even with cheapo £6 replacement generic pleather ebay pads.

I think ill go the whole hog, richer sounds and eglobalcentraluk do the mk3s for 99 quid now so just need the right Brainwavz XL genuine leather pads.

Is this the right link ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...2-fkmr1&keywords=Brainwavz+XL+Large+Sheepskin

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,564 of 2,842
Ordered pretty something quite similar a while ago... Kinda sucks that it doesn't fit! I just assumed and honestly for the price 3.50$ wasn't really worried, but yeah the headband really isn't that wide... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-p...mfort-pad-for-Grado-SR-Sennh/32806501462.html But if it doesn't fit I might just throw it on the grados. So is there a better fitting foam for the AKG? I was relinquant to remove the existing headband cushion and replace it with another, but I'm thinking that might be the best solution. Link above has all sorts of replacement padding, if one fits...

It's a bit surprising they didn't opt for thicker padding, I'm sure it would have increased comfort.

You are much better off getting one with 6 poppers on. As they seem to be the perfect length when you cut the 2 edges off just leaving 4. If you got for one with just 4, then you will need to shorten it and it will leave you with just 2 poppers. My Ebay one certainly fits if you remove the old pad and cut a bit off each side. This may be another option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...035480?hash=item58f553dad8:g:6bIAAOSwo4pYIS7D

This has 6 poppers and looks pretty much the same as the one I have. It will bee to long. But you just need to do as I said in my earlier post. If you go for the exact one I got from the UK ebay page, that only just fits. It is really tight round the headband but it stays where it is really well.

I do like that headband replacement, I went for the woolen version here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacemen...=8-3&keywords=headband+cushion+for+headphones

You also can get exact same thing from ebay from china suppliers for £3-4 like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband...1ec42641:m:mQyC4hBdQA_ZPJmLO2HrdsA:rk:13:pf:0

I like it since its thick wool so its durable and comfortable and wont get hot. You can easily take it off and wash it too.

I may get the velcro one from ebay since the buttons leave a raised bump. Grey one gets bit dirty so maybe black is better or just wash it more !

Bit surprised AKG did not beef up the padding for the headband. AKG made excellent headphones in the K550 but wish they used metal finishing's inside the cup especially to hold the cup in place, mines snapped off on the inside due to flimsy plastic housing and an tiny metal screw holding the entire driver in place, so its loose and an ear cup can almost fall off but after 4-5 years of wear and tear have to expect it. In comparison however Senns quality and durability for similar priced cans much more durable, maybe the mk2/3 fixes this but not gonna find out.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2,565 of 2,842
Thanks for the info, I too am fed up with the overheating issue have to keep giving my ears a breathing break every 20-30 mins! even with cheapo £6 replacement generic pleather ebay pads.

I think ill go the whole hog, richer sounds and eglobalcentraluk do the mk3s for 99 quid now so just need the right Brainwavz XL genuine leather pads.

Is this the right link ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...2-fkmr1&keywords=Brainwavz+XL+Large+Sheepskin

Ohhh i feel like i paid a bit much for my MkIIIs. £149.99. I think it was only around a year ago too at richer sounds. And they are infact £79.99 not £99.99. I would grab them fast. That is a seriously good price. Some don't like them because they don't have that heavy impact to the bass and if you don't get a good seal, it can effect than while also making the highs sound harsh. If you get a good seal, these sound simply brilliant. I once spent quite some time in a John Lewis store trying headphones that were way more expensive than these. Even the price I paid. And most of them had so much bass that it just made the other details less noticeable. These K550s sound so open and spacious for a closed back. Despite my original K550s having an issue with pressure put against the drivers resulting in crackling and popping, they still sound pretty much as good as my new ones. I would be interested in getting a pair of headphones that have a little more bass for when travelling about, but all the places i go to try some, I just can't find any that sound as good as the K550s in other aspects of the sound.

with the K550 MkIIIs you get a 3m mini XLR to 3.5mm cable. I personally think it feels cheap and flimsy. So I got this at 1m so it was more convenient for travelling.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-TA3F-V...=1545597699&sr=1-2&keywords=mini+xlr+to+3.5mm

It is far more tough and hard wearing and matches the built of the headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back