The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jun 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,841

Curly21029

500+ Head-Fier
EDIT: Click here for an excellent pad mod from dxanex!
Let's please keep this thread on point, fellas. 
beerchug.gif

To my ears, the AKG K550 is a headphone with a great deal of potential.  It's fast, detailed, uncolored, spacious, fairly neutral, and free of excess grain.  Conversely to my and others' praise, however, they've been criticized by some for being thin, bass-light, and treble-centric.  A few of these detractors have also stated that these negative traits are diminished when pushing the cups closer to their ears.  Likewise, even those who have sang its praises have cited finicky fitment as a necessary evil.  From this general sentiment, we can draw the conclusion that the fatal flaw of these headphones is a physical one.  After using my "modded" K550 heavily for the past three days, however, I can confidently say that this issue is correctable (for most) through the implementation of two highly effective and fully reversible tweaks.

Before moving on, please note that the K550 is a BIG headphone and, without highly additive modification, (i.e. custom ear and headband pads) it simply will not be compatible with smaller heads.  This is the only headphone that I've personally ever found proper sizing at the smallest setting and I do not consider myself to have a small melon.  Additionally, the earpad diameter is amongst the largest I've encountered.  Those with an average sized cranium but gaunt facial structuring may also encounter issues with the stock pads.  Also, I apologize up front for any terrible cell phone photography.

FIRST TWEAK: Bend that headband!

In my initial impressions of the K550, I implored owners to "man up" and bend the metal headband to create a better fit and increase clamping force.  However, I also cited the very top as causing some initial discomfort.  That being the case, I decided to bend the headband further.

The Process

-Align the very center of the headband across your wrist like a watch.  This will avoid creating a peak or crease.

-Place the thumb and fingers of your other hand on the plastic adjusters on both sides.  Judiciously apply pressure.  It will bend the most at the very center, but since this is the segment that will flex outward the most upon putting it atop your head this is desired.

The Goal

Even exertion of pressure/weight across the entire headpad.  Before bending and also after my first (admittedly reserved) attempt, there was a focal point in the very center.  The way to ensure proper fitment is to put the headphone on at your ideal position and press down on the points at which the metal headband meet the plastic adjusters.  If there's space between your head and these parts of the headband, then further bending is required.  Keep going until there is no "give" and every part of the headpad is touching your cranium.  The end result is both improved comfort and clamping force.  A picture of how my headband appears post-tweaking:

SECOND TWEAK: Stuff those earpads!

Personally, I find the faux leather covering and internal sponge-like material used for the K550's earpads to be incredibly plush.  However, the lack of firmness combined with the excessive tension of both the vertical and horizontal cup pivots creates a recipe for a headphone where optimal positioning is, frankly, a pain in the ass.  Stock, I found myself searching for a good seal 10-15 minutes into a listening session.  Repositioning the cups and compensating for the way that the pads "sink down" each time they're moved to ensure that a seal is achieved and the cloth driver covering was not touching my pinna was a major hassle.  Furthermore, when it was necessary to leave my listening area temporarily re-finding this position from essentially square one was downright obnoxious.  I've never had a similarly frustrating experience with another headphone, period.  Full size Beyerdynamic-level comfort and hassle-free "set it and forget it" positioning this was most certainly not.

My apologies for what may be considered a lack of pictures through this section.  Although this tweak only took approximately 15-20 minutes total, I don't feel like ripping all of the "stuffing" out to obsess over uniformity again since I consider myself to be more OCD than most.

The Process

-Remove the earpads by placing a finger under the wall of the interior and gently push outward.  From there, grasp the outside of the pad and gently tug away from the cup, working your way around the perimeter.  After about 2/3 of the circumference is detached, the rest should easily slide out from the plastic groove.  Also, for those of you who have replaced Beyer pads before, note that these are comparatively much more elastic and creating deformities is not of great concern.  They're leagues easier to work with.

-Place a finger inside the back of the pad where the pleather meets the fabric and pull the internal plastic ring out from underneath the lip. Work your way around just as you had done to remove the pads.  You'll notice that the fabric is stitched to the earpad making reassembly easy.  After this, grab a tennis ball and play fetch with your dog.  All work and no play makes Jack... errr... Justin a dull boy. 
smily_headphones1.gif

-There may very well be a better material that can be utilized to stuff these, but due to both availability (stole some from the woman of the house) and pliability I opted for cotton rounds.  I stacked two on top of each other, folded them in half, and tucked them under the pleather lip of the pads end-to-end working my way around the perimeter.  The length of them worked out to be nearly perfect with no overlap!  I then took a singles, folded them in half, and inserted them atop the double-stacked ones staggering them with the initial rounds' positioning filling in the "gaps."  Since they're cotton, you can further fill in empty space by pulling them apart a bit.  It's unavoidable that they'll be a touch lumpy, but since this will essentially be beneath the super-comfy spongy material (this stays... do not remove it!) that originally populated the pads you'll never actually feel it.

-Reassemble the pads by carefully tucking the cloth/plastic ring back beneath the lip.  The cotton should stay in place beneath the spongy material sufficiently well, but I'm sure a lack of finesse could cause it to "float" into undesired locations behind the pad walls.

-In what I feel is a critically important precaution, take some scotch tape and carefully remove any excess cotton/fuzz/etc. from both the underside of the cloth earpad screen and the plastic driver cover.  You wouldn't want anything nasty getting stuck in the driver, would you? 

-Remount the earpad to the cup.  There's a convenient notch (again, a leg up over Beyer work) that will help you get started.  Insert part of the lip into this notch and twist until about 2/3 is held in place.  From there, pull slightly on the outside of the pad working your way around the circumference until you reach the notch again.  Grip the exterior of the pad, rotate, and the remaining bit should fall into place.  Let your own level of OCD dictate how well aligned the interior cup letter needs to be and continue to rotate as appropriate.

-At this point, you should notice that the stuffed earpad is noticeably larger than the unstuffed one.  Your excitement level will likely increase with this observation, but keep it in check while you carefully repeat the above steps with the other pad.  When finished, hold the headphone up triumphantly within your line of sight and admire the results of your efforts.  Hans Gruber will approve.

The Goal

To eradicate the finicky seal scourge that is seemingly to blame for the mixed K550 reviews.  You should be able to pick these up, quickly adjust the cups to the approximate center position, throw them on your head in your ideal position, and immediately notice an increase in isolation.  Personally, I was shocked at just how well this tweak worked.  The increased size and firmness of the pads goes a long way in offsetting the unforgiving cup pivots.  Combined with the optimized headband, a hassle-free large cup seal is created that is reminiscent of Beyers... not what I expected but, pleasantly, exactly what was achieved.  Upon pumping music through them, you should be able to press in the cups without hearing sonic changes.  The acoustic improvements previously described by others that cited a lack of clamping are now ever present. 
L3000.gif

Post-Mod Changes

Firstly, a possible drawback.  While I find the headband to be more comfortable, the earpads are less so.  The increased firmness means that they're more noticeable for the first half hour or so of listening and the additional isolation spells increased heat.  However, the cloth driver covering no longer rubs against my pinna; a definite pro.  Additionally, my longest listening session with these changes in place has been approximately 3 hours, during which I experienced no outright discomfort and never felt the need to take them off.

The positives, in my opinion, far outweigh the above negatives.  As previously stated, a hassle-free seal is achieved creating improved isolation and better overall sonic performance.  Before implementing these tweaks, I had no idea how much bass I was missing.  In terms of quantity, I would put them on par with my Cardas'd HD600. (which is to say perfect to my ears)  Quality-wise, I'd rank them ABOVE the HD600 for being faster, tighter, and more precisely layered.  Body and tonal weight is increased, but may still be ever so slightly less than ideal.  Still, it's never a distraction, unpleasant, or jarring because of a lack of realism.  Treble is both well extended but also well controlled and, even at moments of sibilance at the fault of the content, (these are highly resolving cans... no hidden imperfections here) is always kept at a distance to avoid being harsh or piercing.  Notes, from top to bottom, are better rounded and devoid of any superimposed edges.  All the positives are retained from stock: spacious, airy, fast transients, great soundstaging, highly resolving, devoid of warmth or coolness coloration... etc.  Pairing this modded K550 with the Nuforce Icon HD that I recently "downgraded" to equates to my most satisfying sealed headphone experience to date: increased spaciousness, tonal weight, a nice bolstering to the bottom end... but now I'm just gushing.

As I've previously stated, the AKG K550 is available in the United States at a major retailer (Best Buy) that offers a full money back refund period.  Take them home, "optimize" them to your head, and give them a proper audition.  If they aren't for you, get your money back, retain the gained perspective, and share your opinion with your fellow Head-Fiers.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 2,841
Great post, I was kind of looking for a way to shorten the cable since it's not ideal length to be portable. However, I didn't want to cut the cable and solder it again so I used this knotting technique that I use to store my climbing rope. I didn't know the name of it but I found out that it's called Chain Sinnet.

If anyone is in the same shoes as me(want to shorten the cable for portability), use this website:
http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/index.php?Categ=decorative&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

:D

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 2,841
Quote:
Great post, I was kind of looking for a way to shorten the cable since it's not ideal length to be portable. However, I didn't want to cut the cable and solder it again so I used this knotting technique that I use to store my climbing rope. I didn't know the name of it but I found out that it's called Chain Sinnet.

If anyone is in the same shoes as me(want to shorten the cable for portability), use this website:
http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/index.php?Categ=decorative&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

:D

Thanks for that!  I've been keeping mine rolled up with a velcro cable tie, but knotting/braiding may be a more elegant solution.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 2,841
I have had these cans for 2 days and found them very loose fitting, they would fall off my head if i lean foward.  The sound did improve alot by pressing on the cans, this seems like a good mod you have done.  I didnt want to play with and tweek them incase i jacked them up, now im out $300.  May i suggest stuffing the cups with down feathers, there very very soft, light and might work well.  The stock cups are way to soft, i found the headphones hurting my ears in 20 mins because of the lack of somewhat firm padding.

Glad you took the time to try this, i may keep mine and tweek them, but for $300 they should fit much better than they do out of the box, but they do have a load of potentional, thanks for the write up.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 2,841
Quote:
I have had these cans for 2 days and found them very loose fitting, they would fall off my head if i lean foward.  The sound did improve alot by pressing on the cans, this seems like a good mod you have done.  I didnt want to play with and tweek them incase i jacked them up, now im out $300.  May i suggest stuffing the cups with down feathers, there very very soft, light and might work well.  The stock cups are way to soft, i found the headphones hurting my ears in 20 mins because of the lack of somewhat firm padding.

Glad you took the time to try this, i may keep mine and tweek them, but for $300 they should fit much better than they do out of the box, but they do have a load of potentional, thanks for the write up.

I wonder what, exactly, the engineers' ergonomic target was with this headphone.  It all seems well intentioned enough: plush pads, large cups, and no vice-grip clamp that plagues far too many high-end full-size headphones.  AKG/Harmon just took good concepts a bit too far and ended up alienating a fair portion of potential buyers because of it.  Sonically, they DO have a winner of a headphone on their hands and it wouldn't surprise me if this already previously delayed 'phone ends up with a revision in the near future.

Down feathers would possibly make a good replacement for the original spongy material altogether.  However, since they would be many small individual "pieces" of stuffing there could be some undesirable internal shifting.  That, and I would personally be fearful of one escaping from beneath the cloth and finding its way into the driver.  I do believe that custom-cut memory foam would be an intriguing prospect.  

As long as you're not overly impatient and handle these roughly I really don't see the potential to cause damage by doing the above mods.  If you were to return them to a retailer after de-modding or even if you left them as-is I highly doubt they would notice.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 2,841
The sound is very good on these now that i have played around, certain generes of music sound exceptionaly good, others so so, i think its a good all around headphone, although movies are not all that good on these.  I may try modding them, the stock pads are just to soft and not beffy, or deep enough, not enough fluff to them.  I think will bending the top bar and finding something to stuff the ear pads with these would just top notch headphones.

Hopefully AKG will poke around here and revise them, if they could get the fit better they would have a definite hit on there hands.  Let me know if you find a better material to stuff the pads with, thanks again.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 2,841
Quote:
Hopefully AKG will poke around here and revise them, if they could get the fit better they would have a definite hit on there hands.  Let me know if you find a better material to stuff the pads with, thanks again.

As of now, I have no plans to try different stuffing material.  As they stand, I'm beyond elated with their performance.  This is Head-Fi, however, so the curiosity bug is always lurking... :wink:

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 2,841
Haha maybe most of you have a small head or I have a big one. I never had any problem with the fitting. Just out of curiosity, where do you put yours at? I put mine at 11 for indoors and 10 for outdoors. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 2,841
Quote:
Haha maybe most of you have a small head or I have a big one. I never had any problem with the fitting. Just out of curiosity, where do you put yours at? I put mine at 11 for indoors and 10 for outdoors. 

As with all headphones, I experimented with positioning to gain an understanding of how SQ can be effected.  Ultimately, most of my headphones end up being tilted just slightly forward of being completely vertical.  There's a bit of a ridge there that makes for natural headphone placement in terms of comfort.  As disclosed in my original post, this is the first time I've used a headphone where I've had these issues and the first that I wear on the smallest setting.  It's my opinion that you, sir, have an impressively-sized noggin. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Thanks~ definitely have issues with getting a good seal, will try these tonight :)

Did you ever give this a shot?  There's been a surprising lull in K550-related activity since the now-defunct main thread got locked.  Perhaps I should change the title of this one to better establish that it's for broad discussion...? 

EDIT: Changed the thread title because... why not?

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 2,841
Great work Op, they look extremely gorgeous headphones. I always think that a headphone its worth it when you are able to mod it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back