The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #2,836 of 2,841
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #2,837 of 2,841
Are Brainwavz XL worth you think?

If you have a good fit with the original pads, then I certainly wouldn't get the Brainwavz pads. I've had 3 different sets of them and all have a significant impact on the sound. They are far thicker than the original pads, which results in more space between the driver and your ear. A lot of the bass is lost due to the large volume of space inside the ear cup and it makes treble sound very harsh. If you do have a very poor fit with the originals, then the brianwavs pads will still be worth it. But many will find out that if they have a poor fit with the originals, putting pressure on the cups will still sound better than brainwavs pads - but that obviously is not ideal at all.

I've managed to find 2 places in the UK that sold pads exactly like the originals, but not sure if they still will. After trying other pads, nothing is better than the originals if you have a good fit in the first place.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #2,838 of 2,841
If you have a good fit with the original pads, then I certainly wouldn't get the Brainwavz pads. I've had 3 different sets of them and all have a significant impact on the sound. They are far thicker than the original pads, which results in more space between the driver and your ear. A lot of the bass is lost due to the large volume of space inside the ear cup and it makes treble sound very harsh. If you do have a very poor fit with the originals, then the brianwavs pads will still be worth it. But many will find out that if they have a poor fit with the originals, putting pressure on the cups will still sound better than brainwavs pads - but that obviously is not ideal at all.

I've managed to find 2 places in the UK that sold pads exactly like the originals, but not sure if they still will. After trying other pads, nothing is better than the originals if you have a good fit in the first place.
I just try to find if there is somewhere any pads similar the original. Hope to find any

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #2,839 of 2,841
I got a pair of K550 to use for on line meetings in the office (in place of mmx300), but boy, those are amazing! With classic music and Opera are top, like an hd800 with more bass and less piercing, best airiness in a closed back headphones I ever heard, really not far from Stax system, but cost 10 times less and I can drive them with my mobile. :smile_phones:
Very sensitive to pad change, my best for the moment is a pair of well worn Audeze, fantastic headstage.

Attachments

• 20240227_112119.jpg
    20240227_112119.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #2,840 of 2,841
I was so happy with the K550 that I bought a pair of MKIII thinking to have the same sound with a detachable cable, but is not, they sound different.
Why Akg want us to believe are the same? Even the volume is different, clearly not same drivers. MKIII for me sounds similar to K7xx, but with less air, overall is ok, but not near the excellence of the original K550.
Quite disappointed, I'll keep for commuting.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #2,841 of 2,841
I was so happy with the K550 that I bought a pair of MKIII thinking to have the same sound with a detachable cable, but is not, they sound different.
Why Akg want us to believe are the same? Even the volume is different, clearly not same drivers. MKIII for me sounds similar to K7xx, but with less air, overall is ok, but not near the excellence of the original K550.
Quite disappointed, I'll keep for commuting.
Sadly the new ones are made in China......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back