The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #2,521 of 2,849
it would be great to try out the k712, but in the end i want a mobile solution and from what i understand the K712 is not that easy to drive. i kind of think, but cant know until i hear it, that the high mids and low trebles on the k712 is going to bother me, similarly as it does on the k553.
but i will try to check one out if i can find one locally. reading about the k712 on headfi , it mentions that compared to the k701 it is boosted below 1K, in a relation to above 1k, which sounds good to me.

when you say glass does not block bass, you are talking about the outside of the car.. i am talking about the inside of the car. im talking about the fixed air volume created by the space, .. . the inside of a car is like the inside of a speaker cabinet , or the back side of a closed back headphone. so when you open the window it is like a port. the resonant frequency response of this chamber affects the sound and you can really feel the difference if you try it. even if you are in a small room with speakers, and the room has windows and doors but they are closed.. if you open the door you will notice the difference in sound.
at a certain point when the room gets large enough it starts to affect reverberation ,, which is higher frequency,, so like in a stadium for example, it sounds totally different than in an indoor arena.. but in rooms smaller rooms or cars it affects the bass and lower end response. try it.. just have your stereo on with the car parked with a tune that has some bass and soon as you open the window you will hear the response change ... open systems as opposed to closed systems have a completely different sound, and this is evident in headphones and a lot of people prefer the open sound, including myself.. because closed acoustical systems always create a resonant effect that may artificially increase bass response that is naturally lost . its sounds artificial.. hopefully you will try the car experiment and get back to us.

so far as my ears, i think my ears only go up to about 15k..and hearing is more a function of the brain than anything else.. you know how when we communicate with people it is often or always impossible to exaclty know what they meant. and when you or I listen in an analytical way to a headphone , we might listen to the bass one pass, the mids on another pass , and the highs on another pass. or we might try to isolate instruments on each pass. the amplifier is usually capable of recreating signal input more accurately than a musical transducer which has to change electrical signals in to mechanical movement of air. .. same on the input with microphones.. Microphones are all colored.. even if they are meant to be flat. vocal mics are different than instrument mics and ribbon mics sound different from dynamic mics. so the recorded performance is to start off very colored.. on the other end of the amp.. the musical transducers, the speakers or the headphones have an equally difficult job as the microphones.. then the eardrum has to convert the mechanical signal of the air waves to signals that the central nervous system can transmit. and then the brain just decides what it wants to hear anyway. if any body thinks that the best way to understand they are going to like a particular sound is by a graph that is a few kilobytes is crazy.. i think that in forums like this.. people need to do a better job of talking about the bigger picture.. all the graphs and discussion of that has already been done ad infinitum. we need to discuss different paradigms of understanding what we are hearing that give a bigger picture to an understanding of the equipment and most importantly its users, which are us and the enjoyment of that.. one could say that the most truthful representation of the music is the most important job and that that is what the graphs show, but i would disagree with both of those points. sometimes in discussions we have to agree on things in order to move forward, but i think we have all already done that. and what we are doing is really beating a dead horse with a stick.. so go in the car and open the window...
I had the K702 which are the same as K701 other than different ear pads. They sound great, but don't have the bass that the K550s do. They drop off more the deeper the bass goes, mainly because of the fact they are open. The K702s are also pretty bright, but don't really have anything that stands out, making it a very balanced sound. The issue I have with the AKGk702 is that the build quality is really poor compared to the K550. And when I read about the K712, they are built out of similar cheap material too. It is much more about sound than build with these it seems. I had 2 issues with my K702 and I ended up returning them and getting a refund despite being very happy with their sound. The K550s are built really well for portable headphones. And given they don't leak sound like semi or open headphones, they are better for portability. And they do as I said sound very open given they are fully closed. But if you are happy with what you have, just stick with hem

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,522 of 2,849
The K712 is the flagship AKG headphone (K812 is a mixed bag and generally not very good for music listening). You can't really use it in public yes, but it wasn't clear what bbtang meant by portable. You'd probably need a portable amp\DAC (a Fiio E10K will do just fine on high gain) unless you have a good phone like the LG V20\V30.

K550 don't really sound that open. They're kinda wide but some IEMs can do that as well and they're not very precise imaging wise. On the K712, you kinda feel like the sounds are bouncing in your head or against the earcups. It's quite precise. Bass isn't bad at all. I have the K550 and love the extended and level bass but the K712 is still my go to for home listening. If you loved the K240 chances are you're going to like the K712 as well. It's very comfortable too (as a contrast, the K550 feels a bit awkward all the time).

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #2,523 of 2,849
I had the K702 which are the same as K701 other than different ear pads. They sound great, but don't have the bass that the K550s do. They drop off more the deeper the bass goes, mainly because of the fact they are open. The K702s are also pretty bright, but don't really have anything that stands out, making it a very balanced sound. The issue I have with the AKGk702 is that the build quality is really poor compared to the K550. And when I read about the K712, they are built out of similar cheap material too. It is much more about sound than build with these it seems. I had 2 issues with my K702 and I ended up returning them and getting a refund despite being very happy with their sound. The K550s are built really well for portable headphones. And given they don't leak sound like semi or open headphones, they are better for portability. And they do as I said sound very open given they are fully closed. But if you are happy with what you have, just stick with hem
thanks for the direct comparison ! oddly yesterday a K702 was listed on craigslist really cheap here locally so I'm going to go take a listen today. I'm not concerned about the bass at all. sure i like bass, but the music is in the mids and i don't really like closed back bass but it sounds like the K702 has reasonable extension on the bass. also there is the bass mod by removing the port cover. have you tried that mod? the k553 is ok with me for traditional jazz but not ok for pop and rock, especially 70's rock .

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,524 of 2,849
thanks for the direct comparison ! oddly yesterday a K702 was listed on craigslist really cheap here locally so I'm going to go take a listen today. I'm not concerned about the bass at all. sure i like bass, but the music is in the mids and i don't really like closed back bass but it sounds like the K702 has reasonable extension on the bass. also there is the bass mod by removing the port cover. have you tried that mod? the k553 is ok with me for traditional jazz but not ok for pop and rock, especially 70's rock .
Do your K553s have a white ring around the driver under the ear pads? If they don't have this, then you will see 3 holes. If those holes are not covered, the bass drops dramatically. I put PVC tape over them and it made a huge difference to the punch in the bass.

The problem with the K702s is that the build quality is really poor compared the the K550s and K553s. Also, the K702s are not at all suitable for listening while travelling as they leak sound as they are fully open back. But sound for the money is very good. They don't sound harsh. but then I don't think the K550s do really. But they do emphasise the treble at a certain frequency a bit which can make the vocals sound sharp at times. And as they are no a bass heavy headphone, as they are bright, the low mid range can sometimes sound thin. But with the K550s, they are really pick about the quality of the recording. If you listen to one that has been extremely well produced, the K550s are really good if you want to keep your music to yourself. You can get better open backed headphones, but very few will be better for the price that are closed.

Apr 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,525 of 2,849
my k553s have the white plastic ring that covers the holes around the driver, but there are 10 holes it looks like, not 3.. in any case they are all covered.
what people dont like about the k553, the treble peak is what really annoys me, usually the vocals and solo instruments sound artificially sharp and hissy, and one dimensional . and background vocals and instruments even worse. ..i like open back bass better than closed back bass.

I went to listened to the K702, its austrian. and immediately was smiling through all the tunes i played through it. no annoying sounds or frequencies that are overemphasized. i.e. K553.
compared it with the k240 and the k553.. .. it was easy to decide to buy it.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #2,526 of 2,849
my k553s have the white plastic ring that covers the holes around the driver, but there are 10 holes it looks like, not 3.. in any case they are all covered.
what people dont like about the k553, the treble peak is what really annoys me, usually the vocals and solo instruments sound artificially sharp and hissy, and one dimensional . and background vocals and instruments even worse. ..i like open back bass better than closed back bass.

I went to listened to the K702, its austrian. and immediately was smiling through all the tunes i played through it. no annoying sounds or frequencies that are overemphasized. i.e. K553.
compared it with the k240 and the k553.. .. it was easy to decide to buy it.

There are 9 or 10, rings, but 3 are holes. They are not visible with that ring over them.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,527 of 2,849
I've got a K553 and Austrian K701.
Yeah, K553 extends lower more easily. Then after a couple of modifications and swapping the stock earpads for Brainwavz HM5 pads, K553 now has the most analytical bass in my collection, which was originally my modified K701's thing.
aaaawwww yeeeaaaahhh

But the treble peak, yeah, stock earpads sort of tame it, HM5 pads unleash it, but I'm okay with it except with certain music, then I attenuate the peaks with an equalizer.

k553--hm5pads.png

My biggest gripe with K553 continues to be the headband padding. It was totally an afterthought; once it has flattened enough, I'll have to add a Sennheiser HD280 headband pad to restore comfort like I did with K545 when I had it. I could also just rip the padding off and put on one of these, but the ribbon cable that carries the right channel signal to the right cup is underneath, making it a risky maneuver over simply adding more padding.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2,528 of 2,849
I think I'm going to sell my K550s soon. Going back and forth between the K712 and K550, it's clear to me that the K712 is more detailed and surprisingly less fatiguing (though they are arguably brighter or less warm due to bass roll-off). I don't really see the point in owning a sub par can (though it's only about 10-20% less detailed than the K712) and while flat sounding sub bass is really nice to listen to I think I am going to invest in a good planar instead. Open-backs are so much better and I need a bit more transparency.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,529 of 2,849
I've got a K553 and Austrian K701.
Yeah, K553 extends lower more easily. Then after a couple of modifications and swapping the stock earpads for Brainwavz HM5 pads, K553 now has the most analytical bass in my collection, which was originally my modified K701's thing.
aaaawwww yeeeaaaahhh

But the treble peak, yeah, stock earpads sort of tame it, HM5 pads unleash it, but I'm okay with it except with certain music, then I attenuate the peaks with an equalizer.

My biggest gripe with K553 continues to be the headband padding. It was totally an afterthought; once it has flattened enough, I'll have to add a Sennheiser HD280 headband pad to restore comfort like I did with K545 when I had it. I could also just rip the padding off and put on one of these, but the ribbon cable that carries the right channel signal to the right cup is underneath, making it a risky maneuver over simply adding more padding.
i finally realized that the person i got the k553 from had taken out the foams that cover the driver that sit under the pads. i put those back and and in the meantime another day of burn it and a friend contacted me about wanting them so i sold them without really being able to see how much the foam pads tamed the treble. when i demo'd them for my buddy, they sounded pretty good, but i didnt have my k702s there, just the k240. i will be back to visit him often so next time i will take my K702 and my Senn HD430 and do another comparison, but also in the future i will be able to hear through other sources. .. of the 3 headphones i was comparing, the K553, the K701 and the K240, the K553 was supposed to be the easiest to drive and i was using mediocre sources (newer phone, laptop and desktop) but all with nearly adequate volume for me on all cans. im wondering if my laptops sound card for example is able to put out sufficient VOLTAGE, BUT not enough CURRENT, in which case, yes the K553 would still be louder but at some point there would be more distortion in the K553 which was increasing the harshness in the trebles. if thats true, and it would depend on the current vs. voltage capabilities of the amps in the sources, then that might say that in some cases lower impedance headphones might seem easier to drive, but in fact are more prone to distortion. so what is the scoop on current capabilities (vs. voltage capability ) of low quality sources like phones, laptops and desktops. ???????
I think I'm going to sell my K550s soon. Going back and forth between the K712 and K550, it's clear to me that the K712 is more detailed and surprisingly less fatiguing (though they are arguably brighter or less warm due to bass roll-off). I don't really see the point in owning a sub par can (though it's only about 10-20% less detailed than the K712) and while flat sounding sub bass is really nice to listen to I think I am going to invest in a good planar instead. Open-backs are so much better and I need a bit more transparency.
yes i just sold k553 for the same reason, (subpar K553 compared to others and i like open cans) .. of course your K712 are different from my k702, but the mids and highs are similar , and yes more detailed than the K553. i was thinking planar next for me also , but hesitating . im concerned about the vocal presence on HE560 and M560,(i.e. sound signature) compared to what i like right now. also that the HE560 might be hard to drive even with a mobile dac/amp. since i got the vintage senn HD430 this week , im thinking the HD600 might be my end game because i love the mid treble section on the 600 ohm Hd430, even more than on the K702.. surprised! it is more relaxed and actually more intimate.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #2,530 of 2,849
Is there any version of the K55x series that has a shorter cable? There are like 80 different versions lol. Ok I know not that many but there's what three variants of the K550, the K551 and two variants of the K553 makes research a little difficult. From what I read though I don't think any of them do. Besides the K545 but that one is tuned differently and not as good, from what I've gathered.

I have the 770 Pro and it seems to be the ying (neutral-bright, V-shaped) to the K550's yang (neutral-bright, flat) so I'm just kinda interested in hearing what they sound like if I can.

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,531 of 2,849
Is there any version of the K55x series that has a shorter cable? There are like 80 different versions lol. Ok I know not that many but there's what three variants of the K550, the K551 and two variants of the K553 makes research a little difficult. From what I read though I don't think any of them do. Besides the K545 but that one is tuned differently and not as good, from what I've gathered.

I have the 770 Pro and it seems to be the ying (neutral-bright, V-shaped) to the K550's yang (neutral-bright, flat) so I'm just kinda interested in hearing what they sound like if I can.
The K550 MKIII has a removable cable. Pick and choose (or build) the length you want. I modded my K550 MK1 ages ago to have a removable cable and it's very liberating.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,532 of 2,849
The K550 MKIII has a removable cable. Pick and choose (or build) the length you want. I modded my K550 MK1 ages ago to have a removable cable and it's very liberating.
Do they manufacture a shorter length cable or are third party ones sold or is it one of those situations where the jack has a certain mechanism that only allows their cable? Like the M50x for example.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,533 of 2,849
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,534 of 2,849
Do they manufacture a shorter length cable or are third party ones sold or is it one of those situations where the jack has a certain mechanism that only allows their cable? Like the M50x for example.
1.2 meters ok ? from akg website
https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-ear & On-ear/K551.html
Item# K551WHT
Click here for a complete list of all specs for this product

Spec Sheet (EN)
English 2 MB

General Specifications
SystemDynamic
Frequency range12Hz – 28kHz
Sensitivity114dB SPL/V
Input Impedance32 Ohms
Maximum Input Power200mW
Net weight (without cable)10.76 oz (305g)
Cable99.99% oxygen-free cable, 4' (1.2m) <---------------------------1.2 M
Main connection1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini-jack plug

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,535 of 2,849
1.2 meters ok ? from akg website
https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-ear & On-ear/K551.html
Item# K551WHT
Click here for a complete list of all specs for this product

Spec Sheet (EN)
English 2 MB

General Specifications
SystemDynamic
Frequency range12Hz – 28kHz
Sensitivity114dB SPL/V
Input Impedance32 Ohms
Maximum Input Power200mW
Net weight (without cable)10.76 oz (305g)
Cable99.99% oxygen-free cable, 4' (1.2m) <---------------------------1.2 M
Main connection1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini-jack plug
Yup that would be my desired cable length.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back