The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,536 of 2,841
1.2 meters ok ? from akg website
https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-ear & On-ear/K551.html
Item# K551WHT
Click here for a complete list of all specs for this product

Spec Sheet (EN)
English 2 MB

General Specifications
SystemDynamic
Frequency range12Hz – 28kHz
Sensitivity114dB SPL/V
Input Impedance32 Ohms
Maximum Input Power200mW
Net weight (without cable)10.76 oz (305g)
Cable99.99% oxygen-free cable, 4' (1.2m) <---------------------------1.2 M
Main connection1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mini-jack plug
Yup that would be my desired length.
also, i the K551 has a less fatiguing Hz response curve than the K553, ( harsh treble bump) discussed previously in this thread.
check out the curves if you can find them..

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #2,537 of 2,841
Just wanted to drop a wee note of the improvement I noticed on my K550 mk1s when I doubled up the padding in the stock headphone pads - I had an old pair of pads that the pleather was disintegrating on, so I stole the foam from them and double layered the foam in the new pads. Previously on my little E10k DAC I was fond of using the bass boost, but now I very rarely feel the need, seal and bass is massively improved :) plus the pads are still fairly squishy and comfortable.

Thanks to this thread for the basic idea, hope maybe this gives people an idea for how to salvage some value from their old pads - plus no feathers or cotton to get in the way of the drivers this way!

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #2,538 of 2,841
Been a while since I've posted in this thread. And for anyone else too. I've recently started reusing my original K550s very often. I bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thick-Le...var=552352398906&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You never know if you can trust Ebay, but these pads are significantly better quality than the originals. Within 2 years of use, the original pads seem to get to the stage of when they stretch, the material just rips. This is so thick that you couldn't rip it if you tried. Yes, it isn't real leather, but well worth just over £5. Much better value than when I bought a spare pare of originals for my K550 MkIII which were £36! And these are identical to the originals, which unfortunately just don't feel like they will last as long. These new ones do use different foam, which I'm not so keep on. It is very firm in comparison, making the ear pads not feel as soft. I never have this problem that others mention. A lack of clamping force that results in lacking bass. But these could well improve that. But I just used the softer foam from the originals and I prefer it that way as they don't press as firmly against your head. (firm foam is in the left of the picture) I like that you can get the pads in grey like I have. There is something about them that make the K550s look older than they are, but in a good way. The material on the back of them that slides into the plastic ring of the plastic surrounding the driver isn't as wide as the originals though. I found they pulled off a bit too easily. So I put them around the metal edge and that works out perfectly. Hiding all the dents and scratches and making them look nice again.

I've also bought a replacement headband pad as the other one I previously had with poppers has started to peel where I had to shorten it. I've now bought a genuine Sennheiser 280 pro headband. That doesn't need shortening. It is just a little bit slack so it occasionally slides about a bit. I may need to think of a way to prevent this. But you do notice that the foam is thicker than what the original K550s have and it feels nicer on your head.

The main reason I stopped using my original K550s was because of a popping sound when any pressure gets put against the ear cup. If you remove everything from the 3 holes in the ring under the ear pad, this problem almost totally goes. But then the sound is awful. The bass may still be very deep, but it lacks impact and the midrange is terrible. Clear but so thin and harsh. Similar with the treble. That top end spike just becomes too much. So as I've tried before, I tried covering up the holes. If I use PVC tape over all 3, they then sound simply excellent. Everything is then as good as my MkIIIs. But the issue is that the driver pops and crackles every time that I move. I know what causes this, but don't know why. It is to do with the air pressure against the driver. When the holes are open, the air can escape down them resulting in barely any pressure being put against the driver. If you used ear pads that had holes in the underside of them going to the foam, that would sort this problem out, but then you would loos a significant amount of bass as it would get absorbed. I don't know how they have got to be this way. My MkIIIs don't have this problem and their holes are covered up. But then my first K550s never used to. I think something must have weakened the driver. Although they never distort. The solution I've found is as one of my picture shows. PVC tape fully over 2 of them and almost completely over the other. This then at least allows a little bit of air to go back in, which means they only have this popping problem if i try to press against them or suddenly move. The midrange is not quite as good as my MkIIIs like this, but they are very listenable again. At one stage, they didn't get used for over 6 months. Now, I have upbraided my cable and use these for home use and keep the MkIIIs with the detachable cable in my bag with my FiiO X3 for portable use. As my profile picture shows.
P1020309.JPG P1020310.JPG P1020311.JPG P1020312.JPG P1020314.JPG .

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,539 of 2,841
Thank you, @TheGiantHogweed. I'll get a pair of those to try out.

In the meantime, I have installed a pair of Brainvwavz' new "microsuede" flat-ovals on my K551. They really feel terrific, but they also suffer from the heightened treble / reduced bass tilt that so many of the aftermarket pads do. I'm leaving them on for now (the K551 is an auxiliary pair), and will try a pair of your eBay finds once they arrive.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,542 of 2,841
It sounds largely similar, the sub-bass is still there and the midrange through the treble doesnt suffer, except for about a +1 or +2 db change around 6-8k. It is very enjoyable still, although i might be a bit partial to lining the inside edges of the pads with some felt or something to reduce the resonance. how partial? about 2/10. Hope that helps!

But in all seriousness, the level of comfort you get with these new pads surpasses any slight change to the sound frequency. the sheekskins actually breathe, and i can finally wear the k550s and k553s for longer than 30 minutes without having to adjust them again and again, and they never get sweaty like the other pads. they also stay cool and never get hot like the original pads do. And tbh the fit is so good. Its almost like they were made specifically for the k553s. If i remember ill try to post a picture tonight

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #2,543 of 2,841
I'm glad you're having such a good experience! In truth I'm surprised, because I have the microsuede ovals on my K551 and to me that version sounds rather treble-y and bass-shy compared to stock. In my experience across half a dozen or so pad combinations that I've tried, the K550 bass suffers when there is more space/air enclosed by the pads for the driver to try to act on — so I wasn't expecting the XL pads to sound as good as you've found them to be. I guess I'll have to try a set.

But yes, from my experience with the ovals, the microsuede finish is just great. It's comfortable and breathes, while providing more of a seal than velour. So I'm tempted to try the XL pads next, but in microsuede.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,545 of 2,841
Hi AKG K500's owners... have a pair for free, my son whilst trying to get a decent clamp broke them at the plastic housing just below the headband extender. internal cable became unattached. Maybe someone could use them to fix or for parts other than that they are perfect:darthsmile::ksc75smile::). Shoot me a pm and since I am such a nice guy will post them FOC once its within Europe.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #2,546 of 2,841
Hi, can you tell me if holding the headphones and rotating the cups toward the outside till the end you can hear some sound coming from the structure of the headphones, like a small plastic sound because of the rotation? Just asking to understand if what I hear from mine it is something normal. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back