The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Dec 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #2,566 of 2,849
Ohhh i feel like i paid a bit much for my MkIIIs. £149.99. I think it was only around a year ago too at richer sounds. And they are infact £79.99 not £99.99. I would grab them fast. That is a seriously good price. Some don't like them because they don't have that heavy impact to the bass and if you don't get a good seal, it can effect than while also making the highs sound harsh. If you get a good seal, these sound simply brilliant. I once spent quite some time in a John Lewis store trying headphones that were way more expensive than these. Even the price I paid. And most of them had so much bass that it just made the other details less noticeable. These K550s sound so open and spacious for a closed back. Despite my original K550s having an issue with pressure put against the drivers resulting in crackling and popping, they still sound pretty much as good as my new ones. I would be interested in getting a pair of headphones that have a little more bass for when travelling about, but all the places i go to try some, I just can't find any that sound as good as the K550s in other aspects of the sound.

with the K550 MkIIIs you get a 3m mini XLR to 3.5mm cable. I personally think it feels cheap and flimsy. So I got this at 1m so it was more convenient for travelling.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-TA3F-V...=1545597699&sr=1-2&keywords=mini+xlr+to+3.5mm

It is far more tough and hard wearing and matches the built of the headphones.

Grabbed them for 79.50 from Richer sounds earlier :) I believe there sold out in most stores now but eglobalcentraluk have them for 96 quid if anyone wants a good deal.

Yeah I compared the newer 3.5mm cable and its less thicker looking then my mark 1s, I had to use black plastic spiral wrap on my old cable to stop it from wrapping and twirling constantly
upon any slight movement. I just read on amazon Q&A on the above pioneer replacement link that even the original mark 3 cable has the same exact tangle issue.

But according to an DJ and another guy who uses it on tours he says that the pioneer replacement cable does not tangle and wrap, you would have thought for £130-150 + headphones AKG engineers would have fixed the poor quality cable on mark 2 alone since its been many years !

Immediately noticed that bass has improved nicely over mk1s, mids and highs still feel same, with burn in id guess it only gets smoother.

Anyhow going to order that replacement cable and the lamb leather pads with the money saved so all good.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #2,567 of 2,849
Thanks for the info, I too am fed up with the overheating issue have to keep giving my ears a breathing break every 20-30 mins! even with cheapo £6 replacement generic pleather ebay pads.

I think ill go the whole hog, richer sounds and eglobalcentraluk do the mk3s for 99 quid now so just need the right Brainwavz XL genuine leather pads.

Is this the right link ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...2-fkmr1&keywords=Brainwavz+XL+Large+Sheepskin

Yes, that's the link of the earpads I bought. I'm not qualified enough to answer your question about isolation though. My very subjective assessment is that isolation is good with the Brainwavzs, but I can't say if it's better than with the original earpads.

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #2,568 of 2,849
Yes, that's the link of the earpads I bought. I'm not qualified enough to answer your question about isolation though. My very subjective assessment is that isolation is good with the Brainwavzs, but I can't say if it's better than with the original earpads.

I'm now also thinking about getting these from this very link. Just as an upgrade to the quality of them. I sort of regret doing what I did when i first got my K550s. I bought a genuine replacement pair of the original pads. And I paid £36! I did that because I at the time really wanted to just use what was meant to be used with them and I didn't realise there were some as good as these others out there. I guess I could sell my new and unused originals.

I'm just wondering that if you still have the originals and these brainwavz ones, would you be able to do a comparison between them? I have seen some people say that some ear pads for the K550s improve the seal a bit resulting in more bass. I notice that if i press the K550s a bit more firmly against my ears, they certainly gain a bit of bass. If these pads already have that bit more, then i certainly will go for them. Just wondering if you could compare then and tell me if you notice a difference in sound.

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,569 of 2,849
I'm now also thinking about getting these from this very link. Just as an upgrade to the quality of them. I sort of regret doing what I did when i first got my K550s. I bought a genuine replacement pair of the original pads. And I paid £36! I did that because I at the time really wanted to just use what was meant to be used with them and I didn't realise there were some as good as these others out there. I guess I could sell my new and unused originals.

I'm just wondering that if you still have the originals and these brainwavz ones, would you be able to do a comparison between them? I have seen some people say that some ear pads for the K550s improve the seal a bit resulting in more bass. I notice that if i press the K550s a bit more firmly against my ears, they certainly gain a bit of bass. If these pads already have that bit more, then i certainly will go for them. Just wondering if you could compare then and tell me if you notice a difference in sound.

Thanks.

I would test them out for you but last time I tore another original set, there so delicate and paper thin when you get them round the cup sadly id rather not chance it to resell them.

Its a bit tricky to say really since the mark 3 already has that good bass improvement already and clamping pressure is much stronger then my originals maybe since they are new not sure, but I can tell the original K550 pads (mk3 & mk1s) are more softer and plush and able to seal slightly better around the ear then the brainwavz leather ones but not by much.

It probably does also mean slightly better bass and isolation on the original pads, but imo the original and generic pads don't last long if you clean them regularly and your ears get too hot in them.

Am going to keep my brainwavz leather pads though overall there thicker cushioned, comfy and don't get as warm and the sounds pretty much the same imo.

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #2,572 of 2,849
Yeah I compared the newer 3.5mm cable and its less thicker looking then my mark 1s, I had to use black plastic spiral wrap on my old cable to stop it from wrapping and twirling constantly upon any slight movement.
But according to an DJ and another guy who uses it on tours he says that the pioneer replacement cable does not tangle and wrap.

The K551's cable was awful in that same way.

I have this aftermarket cable for my K702 and it's completely acceptable, and should work on K550 MKIII assuming it's the same 3-pin DIN connector as other AKGs.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #2,573 of 2,849
Another one popped up, and the link above disappeared quickly for 19.99 euro
These are 29.99 euro

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/AKG-K550-MK...hoerer-schwarz-/132909973662?oid=113526316436

Very dodgy...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKG-K550...h=item1ef20d409e:g:qaIAAOSw5qdcMYB1:rk:3:pf:0

This is on the UK site. Given they are from the UK and on the UK site, they should not be showing the price in GBP £ and not euros. The Item location is London too. I would not trust this at all. It is odd that all the description is german and yet it is from the UK.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #2,574 of 2,849
The K551's cable was awful in that same way.

I have this aftermarket cable for my K702 and it's completely acceptable, and should work on K550 MKIII assuming it's the same 3-pin DIN connector as other AKGs.

Kept it bookmarked but I decided to stick with the original cable but just use some existing £3 ebay spiral cord wrap to make it more solid, heavier and durable and it doesn't tangle. I did google about and there doesn't seem to be any change in actual sound quality so ill save myself a few quid for now.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #2,577 of 2,849
I would test them out for you but last time I tore another original set, there so delicate and paper thin when you get them round the cup sadly id rather not chance it to resell them.

Its a bit tricky to say really since the mark 3 already has that good bass improvement already and clamping pressure is much stronger then my originals maybe since they are new not sure, but I can tell the original K550 pads (mk3 & mk1s) are more softer and plush and able to seal slightly better around the ear then the brainwavz leather ones but not by much.

It probably does also mean slightly better bass and isolation on the original pads, but imo the original and generic pads don't last long if you clean them regularly and your ears get too hot in them.

Am going to keep my brainwavz leather pads though overall there thicker cushioned, comfy and don't get as warm and the sounds pretty much the same imo.

The main think I'm worrying about is if the seam where the stitching is will be noticeable. the original pads don't have any seams. I'm just wondering if you will feel them.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,578 of 2,849
The main think I'm worrying about is if the seam where the stitching is will be noticeable. the original pads don't have any seams. I'm just wondering if you will feel them.

I have tested that with with my mk1 with generic pads and the mk3s with leather brainwav pads and yeah you can feel the stitching seams slightly but you won't notice it really. With the mk1s and generic pads there almost identical to the original pads and soft also, that softness is great and smooth but its paper thin and no where as comfy as the leather pads naturally.

I think its natural to have this with leather vs pleather material, pleather is naturally bouncy and soft where as leather is more harsh and rigid.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,579 of 2,849
I have tested that with with my mk1 with generic pads and the mk3s with leather brainwav pads and yeah you can feel the stitching seams slightly but you won't notice it really. With the mk1s and generic pads there almost identical to the original pads and soft also, that softness is great and smooth but its paper thin and no where as comfy as the leather pads naturally.

I think its natural to have this with leather vs pleather material, pleather is naturally bouncy and soft where as leather is more harsh and rigid.
I wonder if i would be any better off with the PU leather brainwavz pads. Given they are still over £20, I still think they will be good. You would have thought that the material would be much thicker than what is on the original K550s ear pads. I'm just hoping that the leather ones won't feel like you have got two huge flat disks against your head :) Some leather I've felt before has been really rigid. If it is still reasonably soft and nicely takes the shape of your head, then I may as well pay that bit more for the leather ones.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,580 of 2,849
I wonder if i would be any better off with the PU leather brainwavz pads. Given they are still over £20, I still think they will be good. You would have thought that the material would be much thicker than what is on the original K550s ear pads. I'm just hoping that the leather ones won't feel like you have got two huge flat disks against your head :) Some leather I've felt before has been really rigid. If it is still reasonably soft and nicely takes the shape of your head, then I may as well pay that bit more for the leather ones.
I have multiple K550s and have both the PU and real leather versions of the Brainwavz pads I like (the angled ones). They're the same in every way except the material, and honestly the PU is so good (not too thin and not too thick, pleasing feeling, and not at all sticky or sweaty) that the real leather version is only a small upgrade in luxury or looks IMO.

Both pads are defined more by the shape of the memory foam than by any stiffness of the covering material, I'd say. They conform to the shape of my head very well.

I have Brainwavz pads in other shapes in various materials (the hybrid, the microsuede, the velour), and they're all nice feeling. The microsuede has some of the thin-material feeling of the stock pads, but is a much nicer feeling material than the stock pads. (If the the angled pads ever show up in microsuede I'd buy a pair immediately.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back