TGXEAR discussion thread.
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #1,653 of 1,851
Sep 22, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,655 of 1,851
What is the difference between donut and solid foam? I mean in terms of sound.what you linked Hiegi foam, is this all high density foam?
Frankly, till date I found full foams to be better in cohesion. Ideally donut should enhance the low end while keeping the negative effect on transparency in check...but frankly, I found full foams better suiting my preference rather than that.

Yes these are all thick high density foam.

Sep 22, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #1,656 of 1,851
Just got a chance to listen to Tantalus today, in resin bell MMCX form. I think it's great, a shame Jim doesn't sell it any more. Its vocal focus really matches my preferences. It probably doesn't have the most accurate timbre compared to other TGX stuff, but it's still quite good. It might be the hardest bud to drive that I've heard yet though - I wonder if it's harder to drive than the Yinman 600.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,657 of 1,851
It might be the hardest bud to drive that I've heard yet though - I wonder if it's harder to drive than the Yinman 600.
Yes, they are. The 500 Ω Beryllium driver being used in the Tantalus has a sensitivity rating of 85-86dB/mW... where as the Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 is 600Ω @ 87 dB/mW.
The tgxear Tantalus MMCX are slightly harder to drive than even my power hungry beasts, the Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω. And like the Yinman 600, they scale incredibly well with more power.
above is from my post here

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,658 of 1,851
Just got a chance to listen to Tantalus today, in resin bell MMCX form. I think it's great, a shame Jim doesn't sell it any more. Its vocal focus really matches my preferences. It probably doesn't have the most accurate timbre compared to other TGX stuff, but it's still quite good. It might be the hardest bud to drive that I've heard yet though - I wonder if it's harder to drive than the Yinman 600.
I love the Tentalus to death. Probably my favourite earbud of all time.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,660 of 1,851
I think my Serratus comments should be taken with a grain of salt. They’re not only biased because I’m in love with the DS sound so inevitably my mind was looking (maybe subconsciously) for deficiencies in the comparison. But also, the specs were just posted again above and it occurred to me I was underpowering them. I haven’t confirmed that but I’m sure that’s part of the more “flat” sound. When I had the Burson, the Serratus stage was bigger and I remember a more dynamic sound. My modern classical/ electronic/ ambient sounded amazing. My N7 is arguably underpowered and unthinkingly I only had it on mid-gain.

I only heard the Sunniva briefly and it was excellent. Reminded me of the memory I had of the Ripples.

What can I say, sometime something comes along that fits like a puzzle piece and the DS is that for me.

I was listening to this yesterday and it was another magical experience.. if you like this type of music I’m sure you’d like the DS.

Hahaha before pulling the trigger I suspected i may have the album in my collection. I checked and found it !!!!
Just have not gotten to it yet. Happy to have it ! In usually don’t forget what I have but some more obscure composers sometimes escape my memory.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #1,662 of 1,851
Sharing some more thoughts on the SBS (Serratus Black Sand):
Very pleasant tonality and tuning. Mid-bass is present enough for double bass / bass guitar to have presence but not be overbearing. Treble is smooth, although less airy than OG Serratus. Good stage width and height. Imaging is very good.

A quick comparison between OG Serratus (OG), SBS, and Ripples:
PXL_20230924_104457556-EDIT.jpg

Image1: TGXEAR family. Left to right: OG Serratus, SBS, Ripples

- Timbre is great across all 3; SBS portrays double bass, cello, drums, piano, brass very well. Violin, harpsichord, sound a more realistic in the OG, possibly because of more treble bite
- Mid-bass quantity is Ripples ~ SBS > OG; sub-bass is Ripples ~ SBS < OG
- Airiness/treble sparkle is obviously OG on top; treble fatigue only sets in with OG, albeit rarely
- Stage is Ripples < SBS < OG. OG just has this sense of vastness that is hard to beat. SBS sometimes comes close though!
- Dynamics is OG < SBS < Ripples. I cannot stress how impressive the dynamics are on the Ripples. So good.
- Imaging is OG < Ripples ~ SBS
- Driveability (from easiest to hardest): Ripples < SBS < OG
- Least important: SBS cable is stiff and quite microphonic. Ranking cable preference: SBS < Ripples < OG

PXL_20230924_104758320-EDIT.jpg

Image2: SBS cable being naughty

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,663 of 1,851
Sharing some more thoughts on the SBS (Serratus Black Sand):
Very pleasant tonality and tuning. Mid-bass is present enough for double bass / bass guitar to have presence but not be overbearing. Treble is smooth, although less airy than OG Serratus. Good stage width and height. Imaging is very good.

A quick comparison between OG Serratus (OG), SBS, and Ripples:

Image1: TGXEAR family. Left to right: OG Serratus, SBS, Ripples

- Timbre is great across all 3; SBS portrays double bass, cello, drums, piano, brass very well. Violin, harpsichord, sound a more realistic in the OG, possibly because of more treble bite
- Mid-bass quantity is Ripples ~ SBS > OG; sub-bass is Ripples ~ SBS < OG
- Airiness/treble sparkle is obviously OG on top; treble fatigue only sets in with OG, albeit rarely
- Stage is Ripples < SBS < OG. OG just has this sense of vastness that is hard to beat. SBS sometimes comes close though!
- Dynamics is OG < SBS < Ripples. I cannot stress how impressive the dynamics are on the Ripples. So good.
- Imaging is OG < Ripples ~ SBS
- Driveability (from easiest to hardest): Ripples < SBS < OG
- Least important: SBS cable is stiff and quite microphonic. Ranking cable preference: SBS < Ripples < OG

Image2: SBS cable being naughty

Excellent round-up that will definitely help many people! You've prompted me to revisit Ripples today. :)

Edit: I think this is the first time listening to Ripples through Defiant and it's flirting those great dynamics, resolution and balance. Not the top of the pile from timbre perspective but an accomplished bud, for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,664 of 1,851
Sep 24, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,665 of 1,851
It's a good day for folks interested in SBS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back