TGXEAR discussion thread.
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #1,621 of 1,869
Extremely brief and quick remark about the beautiful DS that I recieved today (not the demo, the one I bought).
Powered with the Moniprice Liquid Platinum it sounded a bit too bright and shrill, but through the Monoprice THXAAA = wow ! We're in a new territory here...
Most balanced and detailed thing I've heard from an earbud.
But it's only a very tiny little forst impression.
Only in the first hour but I already know I'm in another level of resolution.
Playing a Raff symphony that generally sounds rather dull from an audio point of view, now with the DS it;s like another recording, everything being so much more clear and dynamic.
Congratulations 🙌🙌 does it handle symphonies as well as chamber music? Serratus is great for symphonies but sometimes a bit too stretched or diffused for intimate music

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #1,622 of 1,869
Congratulations 🙌🙌 does it handle symphonies as well as chamber music? Serratus is great for symphonies but sometimes a bit too stretched or diffused for intimate music
You didn't like Ripples for Classical?

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #1,623 of 1,869
You didn't like Ripples for Classical?
I like it for small ensembles and jazz, but the stage is a bit intimate for orchestra / grand pieces.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #1,624 of 1,869
I like it for small ensembles and jazz, but the stage is a bit intimate for orchestra / grand pieces.
Got it. You are right. I like it for chamber. Stage on Sunniva might be better. Will have to try it for orchestral symphonies.

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,625 of 1,869
I'll let you know for sure, I only had an hour yesterday, and that was after an evening of a real concert (Brahms piano concerto and Schumann symphony).

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,626 of 1,869
Serratus SSB is in da house 😁
My first Tgxears bud ever

1000002493.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #1,627 of 1,869
Sep 14, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,628 of 1,869
Congrats and enjoy !
Thanks. Its wideness in terms of soundstage stands out immediately. Can you rec me some songs to check out the depth and height part? I'm having trouble checking out these 2 when i write my review.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #1,629 of 1,869
Thanks. Its wideness in terms of soundstage stands out immediately. Can you rec me some songs to check out the depth and height part? I'm having trouble checking out these 2 when i write my review.
Swashers by Yosi Horikawa
Tico Tico by Hideo Shiraki
nowicaresomemore by Parcels
The Curse By Agnes Obel

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,630 of 1,869
The DS continues to amaze. I'm not sure if this description will convey what I mean but I was listening to some music and my son came in to talk to me. When he spoke, I could hear him clearly with the music still playing and with the amazing staging of the DS it was like having speakers in the room. There was no sense of the music being localized to just my hearing and there was no sense of timbre difference between my "real" son and the the music being "canned" as it were.

The music was something that when I occasionally do put it on I quite quickly don't feel like listening to it and change it after about 30 secs. This time was different though as it had a different, more interesting quality. The instruments sounded more unique and the arrangement came to life. I actually listened to the first 3 songs...

The DS paired with the N7 is the best overall sound I've enjoyed to date for my quiet listening time.
I have the same impressions. It also scale extremely well. I loved it on DX320 but on TEAC ND-701n it’s just majestic.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpeg
    IMG_1399.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,631 of 1,869
I have the same impressions. It also scale extremely well. I loved it on DX320 but on TEAC ND-701n it’s just majestic.
I kinda wish I still had my Burson amp to hear the DS on.

On another note, I briefly tried the Serratus vs the DS. I only listened to one song but will try again later.
I chose Zeit by Rammstein as it's opening has a lot of the qualities I listen for.
This is the first time I got what people say about depth of stage vs height. The Serratus' stage is deeper, instruments seem further away in a haunting kind of way. Same when the vocals start. Till Lindemann stands further back. But overall I kind of felt something was missing.
The DS opens and there is the height I finally understood. Everything is closer but not in the sense of just that, but that it was simply that the instruments are closer as there seems to be more air around everything. Not sure that makes sense but it's like the difference isn't that the DS is more intimate but that it just sounds like a different recording with everything closer.. I guess because the DS has more resolution and a more realistic timbre, it sounds "right" to me and that the Serratus might be a bit artificially more distant..
There's also more information with the DS, more subtle nuances of vocal timbre and even some atmospheric sounds I just didn't hear with the Serratus.
The vocals sound so lifelike.. it's uncanny. Imaging is fantastic too due to the "air" I mentioned.
But when the music gets into the main part with all the drums and such, the Serratus' leaner sound keeps things a bit better separated and less overwhelming.
That's the one thing I find with the DS, that when the music gets really busy, I feel a bit overwhelmed. I think that's why I like them so much with solo or small group music and more acoustic music. They are a marvel and by far my favourite but I could easily see how someone who listens to really high intensity music might choose something else. That's why I said before that with things like NIN and Rammstein I'm more apt to use my EE Bravado 2.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #1,632 of 1,869
The feeling you described is also what I experienced when switching from the Sunnivas back to the Serratus. The rounder soundstage and more realistic sense of presentation. Though with the Sunnivas, there would be more midbass present, after burn-in, the bass would blend with the overall timbre instead of standing out.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,633 of 1,869
I was thinking about it while walking the dogs and the Serratus is like when I first saw the prairies. There is a wow sense with the vastness but the vastness is what you see. There’s not a ton of “detail” but still awe inspiring. The DS is more like a local hike to a waterfall I took my sister and her husband to.

IMG_6251.jpeg

Lots of “height” and lots of “detail” to take in visually and sonically.

Though I live in the “woods” where the views are never that far, I sometimes miss that feeling of the size of the prairie.

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,634 of 1,869
After rotating between DS and SBS mainly, I dusted off my Totem today. This earbud still holds its own.

Screenshot_20230914-204147_Instagram.jpg

Pairing great with Hiby RS8 (Ultra filter) -> Mass Kobo 475.

Totem has this "purity" to the sound. I would call it more neutral (Mid forward) vs DS with less bass and treble quantity.

RS8 gives it bumps up its mid bass and lower mids giving instruments more fullness. The treble energy is dialed back giving it more of an analogue presentation. Mids are emotive but not to the point where it loses transparency.

What stands out is its deep soundstage stage making me feel I like am present at the venue.

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,635 of 1,869
I was thinking about it while walking the dogs and the Serratus is like when I first saw the prairies. There is a wow sense with the vastness but the vastness is what you see. There’s not a ton of “detail” but still awe inspiring. The DS is more like a local hike to a waterfall I took my sister and her husband to.

IMG_6251.jpeg

Lots of “height” and lots of “detail” to take in visually and sonically.

Though I live in the “woods” where the views are never that far, I sometimes miss that feeling of the size of the prairie.
Is your Serratus mx500 shell? I feel that my experience with SSB Serratus does not always match with other's experience with mx500 Serratus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back