TGXEAR discussion thread.
Aug 4, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,427 of 1,851
Nice! And you're ok with MX500 shells? If budget weren't an issue, I've heard that Desolation Sound is summit-fi. @drewbadour, what do you think?

@ian91 have you heard any Focal headphones?

Btw, there's a review tour for the DS in the US and Canada, so you might wanna wait for more impressions
Yeah I'd consider it to be summit-fi!

Aug 4, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,428 of 1,851
I can afford any of them, so price isn’t a big deal. Of my current full size headphones, my favorite is the Focal Clear if that helps.

@ttorbic I've heard the Utopia 2022 but not the Clear. I understand the Focal Clear is tonally bright. Serratus would be closest to this, I imagine.

I will have my DS to compare to the Ripples, Serratus and Sunniva in a week or so.

Worth being certain you're ok with MX500 fit and comfort before dropping 600 dollars on it though.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,430 of 1,851
MX500 shells are pretty standard in even cheap earbuds, aren’t they? If so, I’m pretty well-acquainted I’d say.

I’ll look forward to your impressions!
Type I: MX500
Type II: PK (small-original & large-newer)
Type III: Bell-Horn
Type IV: Other Variants (Qian39, Val39, RG39, DP100, Golden & Silver Age, etc.)

All About Flathead Earbud Shell Types

I really need to update and clean up this document some, as well as add some new shells.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,431 of 1,851
Just bought the SBS 🙌🙌🙌 will take a few weeks to arrive, but I'm very excited!

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,433 of 1,851
Serratus is my favorite of the TGXear buds, so I am looking forward to hearing impressions of this new version and what might be different/improved. Congrats!
Just wait a bit longer... You might get a cool suprise :)

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,438 of 1,851
Desolation Sound has landed. I'm looking forward to sharing my initial thoughts this evening! Now I just have to get through the work day...🙄

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #1,439 of 1,851
Desolation Sound has landed. I'm looking forward to sharing my initial thoughts this evening! Now I just have to get through the work day...🙄
Ooooooh mate, can't wait for your impressions,!

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,440 of 1,851
_DSC3944.jpg

TGXear Desolation Sound (MX500, 130ohm custom N55 driver)

I couldn't help myself, I escaped work early to start listening to these...what follows is my very, very fresh impressions.

Do they live up to (my) expectations? Quite simply and with hype aside, yes. Listening to these I'm reminded of my first session with the Serratus and my first exposure to what a great earbud driver could accomplish in skilled hands. Unlike the Serratus though, I think we have a more tonally accurate take on neutral, especially in the treble. Straight away I can tell that DS is using a benchmark-setting driver. Despite the rated impedance this driver is sensitive and seems to prefer DAP/dongles to desktop amping (I'll cover this in more detail in my eventual review).

Standout/benchmark characteristics so far are the stage size, imaging, layering and resolution. Dimensions are large but natural and remind me of TGXear Alpha (when powered well) with great width, height and depth. Dimensions fall somewhat behind the cavernous VE Zen SU in terms of space and separation. Tonally, DS is most akin to Alpha with similar vocal placement but with greater treble extension and a fuller, more dynamic low end. The result is an arguably more 'complete' picture with greater balance and less midrange centricity. It has the midrange clarity of Serratus but with a more natural note weight. As for timbre, it's nitpicking between the Alpha and DS and that's a great achievement in my eyes - I love the timbre of 600ohm bery. I've been listening to the TGXear Sunniva recently and prefer the instrumental timbre on DS.

This is a quality set and is Jims best yet and I'm currently having déjà vu to several weeks ago when I said the same for Sunniva...! Technically impressive and tonally sound for those of us who like a neutral signature. Is it worth $600? To me, yes, but my wife would tell you I have a problem and shouldn't be imitated. In more objective terms, it's offering TOTL sound and through a TOTL driver that you probably won't hear anywhere else...something to think about I guess...

As always @tgx78, thank you for what you do and I look forward to hearing what the community thinks of this set. If anyone has any specific questions, I'm happy to help where I can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back