TGXEAR discussion thread.
Jul 10, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #1,381 of 1,851
Jul 19, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,382 of 1,851
Sunniva arrived today. First impressions are positive and it's clearly the TGXear flagship (not heard Totem). It has the best balance of tonal & technical performance. Other sets do certain things 'better' but I am mighty impressed with what this driver achieves as an all-rounder.

Macrodynamics - check.
Subbass & midbass on show - check.
Smooth treble with good extension - check.
Authentic timbre - check.
Competitive resolution - check.

With regards to the bass it's definitely a generous midbass that does warm the midrange (some might call this bleed), but it's certainly not enough to veil detail or texture to my ear. Jim kindly included the tuning kit and while I will experiment with this for my review, I'm pretty sure stock will be my preferred tuning. It didn't take long to realise the Sunniva is a tuning departure from the other TGXear sets (especially the ever popular Serratus with its crystalline midrange) so I'm not surprised some called for less bass. This has more bass and is more vocal centric than any other set Jim has produced.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,383 of 1,851
Sunniva arrived today. First impressions are positive and it's clearly the TGXear flagship (not heard Totem). It has the best balance of tonal & technical performance. Other sets do certain things 'better' but I am mighty impressed with what this driver achieves as an all-rounder.

Macrodynamics - check.

With regards to the bass it's definitely a generous midbass that does warm the midrange (some might call this bleed), but it's certainly not enough to veil detail or texture to my ear. Jim kindly included the tuning kit and while I will experiment with this for my review, I'm pretty sure stock will be my preferred tuning. It didn't take long to realise the Sunniva is a tuning departure from the other TGXear sets (especially the ever popular Serratus with its crystalline midrange) so I'm not surprised some called for less bass. This has more bass and is more vocal centric than any other set Jim has produced.
From your description I’m tempted to associate it with the VE Zen.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #1,385 of 1,851

Macrodynamics - check.

Got my Sunniva yesterday as well. I'm still trying to find time to listen to it some more, but so far agree with your description. :ksc75smile:

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,386 of 1,851
Playing with the bass tuning kit today on the Sunniva. Now, I know I said only a day or two ago that stock would be my preferred but I'm going to have to retract that. For my library which is primarly jazz / acoustic / classical, the cut to the bass makes Sunniva more revealing of texture and the sense of space in the stage is heightened. And as the stage width was my only real criticism of Sunniva thus far, with the tuning filters in place it almost makes the rest of the lineup obsolete...almost.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #1,387 of 1,851
Had some quiet time to listen to the Tingvall Trio (https://tidal.com/album/15524212) using the Ripples. Beautiful
PXL_20230723_155600094~2.jpg

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,388 of 1,851
Playing with the bass tuning kit today on the Sunniva. Now, I know I said only a day or two ago that stock would be my preferred but I'm going to have to retract that. For my library which is primarly jazz / acoustic / classical, the cut to the bass makes Sunniva more revealing of texture and the sense of space in the stage is heightened. And as the stage width was my only real criticism of Sunniva thus far, with the tuning filters in place it almost makes the rest of the lineup obsolete...almost.
Still think Carbon would be the most suited Bud from Jim for these genres... It's not available anymore though. It didn't sell well. I am extra glad I got one though, it remains one of my all-time favorites. :) ✌️

Jul 23, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,389 of 1,851
Still think Carbon would be the most suited Bud from Jim for these genres... It's not available anymore though. It didn't sell well. I am extra glad I got one though, it remains one of my all-time favorites. :) ✌️
I would almost say Alpha for those genres. The more ohms, more power, more revealing imo... But again, not available :)

I received the Sunniva bass kit this past week. Likely stay stock and not install them due to my music taste.. EDM, hip hop, so the extra bass is nice. Good to have the filter options though! Thank you Jim.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,390 of 1,851
I would almost say Alpha for those genres. The more ohms, more power, more revealing imo... But again, not available :)

I received the Sunniva bass kit this past week. Likely stay stock and not install them due to my music taste.. EDM, hip hop, so the extra bass is nice. Good to have the filter options though! Thank you Jim.

Alpha is great for its timbre and still has a place in my heart, it's much flatter and that creates a more sincere and honest appeal. However, it's extension is just not as apparent on either end. I need more brilliance to my acoustic / classical and more low end to percussion.

Despite being lower ohms, the Sunniva still scales with a desktop source. I prefer the timbre of Alpha but tonally the Sunniva has greater reach across my library and is less power dependent.

I will never part with the Alpha but I want there to be some reassurance on here that with bass filter in situ the Sunniva goes most of the distance in those genres by conveying a brighter more complete picture of classical and jazz, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #1,391 of 1,851
I listed my Carbon a few days ago if anyone is interested 👍🏻

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #1,392 of 1,851
I have gathered quite a nice number of buds between $100 and $200. Before I gathered so many, I got the Sunniva, and frankly speaking - I was not much inspired by them. They sounded bassy, slightly dark, pretty laid back. I wanted details coming from Serratus, but what I got was not what I was expecting for. Then I got a few more buds and I was preferring them due to their more sparkling and forward treble.

But I somehow did not give up on the Sunniva, and let it have a burn in of 100 continuous hours. I don't know whether after that I got familiar with the tonality or it truly improved, but currently none of my other earbuds comes even remotely close to it. Sunniva is simply on an entirely different level now, with a massive out of the head stage, slamming fun bass, and smooth and technically highly competent sound. Just an absolutely exhilarating experience.

I cannot imagine how Desolation Sound will sound!

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,393 of 1,851
I need to correct what I wrote (on Venture Electronics thread) on July 20 about the Sunniva :
………for the APWS…………
It's the best earbuds I listen to compared to Sunniva with kit (kit received this morning- thank you Jim- but still too present in bassfor my ears) or Serratus, which I also like a lot to counterbalance.

When I received a small package that day, I thought of the kit because I wasn't expecting anything else. Quick opening, and I thought the little foam set inside (which I'd totally forgotten I'd ordered), was the answer...
After I've received the real kit, i understood my stupid mistake.
I apologize to the readers and apologized directly to Jim.

Now, the desired attenuation of the bass (very well adjusted) and its projection gives a full hearing to the harmonious midrange, and airy, precise treble.
I found my listening experience very engaging.
As far as I'm concerned, the Sunniva are excellent in this configuration which is the best.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #1,395 of 1,851
Hello everyone, a quick update on Sunniva Bass Tuning Kit. So far, I have sent out to about 45 out of 60 Sunniva owners. The rest should ship out within a week or so. Cheers
Bravo sir! We are all very impressed by your doing this. Really shows that you care about your customers and truly believe in your products and brand; as well as the growth and future of this niche transducer medium. Respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back