TGXEAR discussion thread.
Feb 19, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #857 of 1,869
Feb 19, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #859 of 1,869
First of all, thank you for sharing your experiences about tgxear. I have struggled with iems (painful fit) and headphones (headaches), which always led me back to earbuds. I tried some recommended earbuds, but I never knew earbuds could be so high end until I found this thread .

So based on experiences here I took a gamble on the ripples and I am very happy :ksc75smile:. Listening to Radiohead and KT Tunstall is giving me goosebumps, so good.

The thing is that I don't listen on high volume. For now I have the ripples plugged straight into an iPod Touch and the volume is not even half-way, maybe a third and that is plenty loud for me. So, my question is would I still benefit from something like a dongle DAC or a better DAP given that I listen at low volume? There is a lot of discussion about power and in my mind that means more volts and thus louder. If I do benefit from a DAC or DAP, do you have any recommendations?

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #860 of 1,869
I have a pair of Ripples on their way. V. excited.
New to good buds, so could anyone compare their sound (particularly detail) to well known iems or headphones, the usual suspects, or those in my signature?

Comparison to 7hz timeless? if possible? I'm hoping / expecting them to be very different, although I do love my 7hz.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #861 of 1,869
I have a pair of Ripples on their way. V. excited.
New to good buds, so could anyone compare their sound (particularly detail) to well known iems or headphones, the usual suspects, or those in my signature?

Comparison to 7hz timeless? if possible? I'm hoping / expecting them to be very different, although I do love my 7hz.
Hi from another UK-based headfier! I unfortunately do not have the Timeless, and only had the S12 for just under a year. Earbuds sound quite different to IEMs - I'm sure you've heard the analogy before, but just in case you haven't: if you liken IEMs to closed headphones, than earbuds are "like" open-back headphones. So, the stage doesn't feel as closed in as most IEMs, and there is considerable sound leakage. I can hear my keyboard tap-taps as I'm listening to my Ripples, for example. In terms of detail: this is probably not "technically" correct in the audiophile sense, but the microdynamics of the Ripples are astounding - small changes in volume and texture are very clear, so to me, it seems like I'm getting more detail. Hope that makes sense. As an example, I love asking folks to test the track Swashers by Yoshi Horikawa - on my Ripples, I can really hear the individual rise and fall of the waves. Try it out on your Timeless and let me know what you hear!

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #862 of 1,869
As an example, I love asking folks to test the track Swashers by Yoshi Horikawa - on my Ripples, I can really hear the individual rise and fall of the waves.
Adding to this, Ripples has an amazing combination of dynamic range and imaging, where you don't just hear the rise and fall of the waves, but you get proper panning of the waves as they crash from left to right. It's a truly fantastic experience.

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #863 of 1,869
Tally-Ho! & a hearty good morrow, fellow! (that's how we speak in England, if anyone was wondering :flag_gb: :ksc75smile:)

I have tried that track with the 7hz, & it sounds good, and waves sound good but I'm only streaming it on youtube, so there is that. I just need to be patient. Earbuds will arrive soon enough!

edit: was replying to ttorbic, to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #864 of 1,869
The thing is that I don't listen on high volume. For now I have the ripples plugged straight into an iPod Touch and the volume is not even half-way, maybe a third and that is plenty loud for me. So, my question is would I still benefit from something like a dongle DAC or a better DAP given that I listen at low volume? There is a lot of discussion about power and in my mind that means more volts and thus louder. If I do benefit from a DAC or DAP, do you have any recommendations?
Increasing power, especially current, is not just about more available volume, but significantly improved dynamic range which translates to a greater sense of soundstage depth and 3-D imaging, even at lower listening levels. I find my Serratus changes dramatically when going from the Apple dongle on my phone to one of my Schiit desktop amps or RS6 DAP.

I guess it depends on how you want to listen, if you want something truly portable, then a reasonably powerful DAP makes sense, otherwise something like the EarMen Angel that @Wyville mentioned in his recent review should work great. I only really use my buds at my desk, which makes the Jot2 kind of a no-brainer choice for me.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #865 of 1,869
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #867 of 1,869
I ordered these from Alli Express. It is another option, and they change the sound slightly. I was having some trouble with fit. I am getting used to the buds with or without them.
Can you share the link with me? Thanks in advance.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #869 of 1,869
My Ripples were waiting for me when I got back from my work trip to London. I’ll post some proper impressions later but these are really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back