TGXEAR discussion thread.
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #331 of 1,851
I think the best IEMs can surpass in technicalitues and even timbre the earbuds. Easily. But it doesn’t matter, it’s not natural to have this CLOSED accoustic, suffocating feeling compared to earbuds, no matter how “open” an iem sounds. All things being equal, open back will always win in the naturalness. What we all appreciate the most here, despite the technicalities of iems, is the natural open quality of earbuds which is why I will prefer them to the best iems.
Once an earbud reaches a good amount of resolution with excellent balance, in terms of enjoying the music (comfort, open back…), it can rival any headphone or iem, and that‘s where TGX ear comes in.

I‘d agree that it’s probably the “naturalness” you reference that is why these sound more “right” to me that even most totl iems ive heard. That closed acoustic environment puts an unnatural sense of a vast stage within my head where headphones are more like speakers and thus more akin to the real world. I’ve gone into, at length elsewhere about my theory of popularity of iems increasing with the growth of the “virtual world”.
Timbre.. well that’s not something I’d totally agree with you on as so many iems rely on BA’s and I for one, do not care for how BA’s handle treble particularly, but anything overall.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #332 of 1,851
I‘d agree that it’s probably the “naturalness” you reference that is why these sound more “right” to me that even most totl iems ive heard. That closed acoustic environment puts an unnatural sense of a vast stage within my head where headphones are more like speakers and thus more akin to the real world. I’ve gone into, at length elsewhere about my theory of popularity of iems increasing with the growth of the “virtual world”.
Timbre.. well that’s not something I’d totally agree with you on as so many iems rely on BA’s and I for one, do not care for how BA’s handle treble particularly, but anything overall.
Excellent remarks that would lead to deeper questions about our times !!!!!!
I’d also add to your own arguments that people who are used to listen to “synthethic sounds” (anything but accoustic unamplified instruments) don’t really care about that true to life natural feeling by definition.
What is a natural taste of Pepsi ?
I can certainly taste a natural orange juice.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #333 of 1,851
1668037908406.png

https://nymzreviews.com/2022/11/09/tgxear-ripples-first-impressions/

My first impressions of the TGXEAR Ripples are out and you can find them in the link above. Oh and please do read the disclaimers, pretty explanatory.

Nice to hear that it’s not just me who finds these so appealing. I like the “witchery“ comment..

I‘d agree that the stage is smaller than the Serratus for sure but in comparison to the Alpha Imfind it quite similar but the difference being that it’s much more forward. I do find that the has better spatial cues and more overall detail than the Alpha so its like hearing more because you’re sitting closer where the Alpha is less detailed by being further away… but both sound very natural in timbre to me.

Interesting that you did not find the timbre as good as the Alpha, where I find it significantly more fleshed out.. but that could be because of my library and the focus on strings and piano. There’s just more subtle elements in the timbre which I equate as “better”. Maybe others will not agree. For instance, the timbre of a cymbal never even crossed my mind.

Nice review again and look forward to hearing more of your impressions.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #334 of 1,851
Order finally placed. I tried to limit myself to one, but hey... this is head-fi, and I'm as curious as my cats.

Ripples + Alpha incoming, eventually! :innocent:

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #336 of 1,851
For someone whose listening is 60% hip hop 40% pop would you all suggest the Serratus or the Ripples?

I would probably suggest Serratus. Maybe someone who listens to those genres could advise but I would think the Serratus bass would be great for hip hop.

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #337 of 1,851
156C5D17-43EB-44D9-8EB6-75A3DA4A234B.jpeg
The Glorious Holy Trinity of Ear Buds. By the one and only @tgx78

I’ve been extremely wrapped up in the Serratus. It just plays my library so well. From Jazz Trio to quartet to big band to Latin and percussive jazz, etc…Classical, opera, modern classical, singer songwriter, ambient, electronic, modern RnB…the list goes on.

I’m sucked into how Serratus renders all elements in the stage with ease. The separation, air and space is just spectacular. And the best part, everything sounds so natural, organic and real. Drum strikes, guitar strums, bass plucks, piano the weight and body of acoustic instruments are really brought out in such a life like way. I’m obviously gushing but I could go on and on. I’m just thoroughly loving these buds and still haven’t been able to spend much time with the others yet. More to come….

Nov 15, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #338 of 1,851
The only criticism I have is not to TGX but this thread that might encourage him to raise his prices, as I think once we get a taste of one bud, it's impossible to resist the others, which will end up being heavy $$. But make no mistakes. it's the best value in "hi-fi" world, without question. Right now the Tantalus is making absolute miracles with my requiems and operas.
Why doesn't TGX send one of his buds to the big names reviewers ? We all know them on Youtube. They will be blown away without a doubt !
Once again to compare any of the TGX to the em5, the TGX destroys, annihilates completely the Fiio in soundstage, weight, and of course timbre.
Another of my wishes = i hope TGX keeps doing high impedance hard to drive buds because they diserve the absolute best gear out there.
They deserve the best dacs and amps.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #339 of 1,851
The only criticism I have is not to TGX but this thread that might encourage him to raise his prices, as I think once we get a taste of one bud, it's impossible to resist the others, which will end up being heavy $$. But make no mistakes. it's the best value in "hi-fi" world, without question. Right now the Tantalus is making absolute miracles with my requiems and operas.
Why doesn't TGX send one of his buds to the big names reviewers ? We all know them on Youtube. They will be blown away without a doubt !
Once again to compare any of the TGX to the em5, the TGX destroys, annihilates completely the Fiio in soundstage, weight, and of course timbre.
Another of my wishes = i hope TGX keeps doing high impedance hard to drive buds because they diserve the absolute best gear out there.
They deserve the best dacs and amps.
I believe BGGAR has reviewed his Serratus earbus. Link here.

Nov 15, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #340 of 1,851
Let´s the party begins.
First impressions. Beautiful Tunning, congrats my friend.

1668550670331.png

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #341 of 1,851
Order for Red Serratus made, woohoo.

Nov 17, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #342 of 1,851
Received my Serratus Frosty (with 4 core single crystal copper silver plated graphene cable, rhodium plug?) a couple of days ago. The case is labelled "Serratus Frosty: 1/1 ", which I assume means it is a one off? Out of the box it was a bit hard and sound was not cohesive. Compared to a fully burnt in Fiio EM5, which is a softer, less highly delineated sound, in comparison, but very fluid/immersive vocals. I was not sure how the Serratus would compare with the EM5/silver cable, for vocals.

About 75 hours of burn in now, and it is starting to show what it can do. Transparent, good micro details/dynamics. Excellent bass and stage. The holographic stage was present at around 60 hours. SQ is more forward and present than the EM5, but in a good way. It is still slightly hard in the HF, which I think/hope will continue to smooth out with more burn in. At it's current burn in, I can already see that this Serratus is a keeper, technical, but also musical/immersive. As many people have commented, it is amazing just how musical this earbud is, even comparing to more highly rated/priced well known IEMs. In terms of enjoying music from it, it holds it's own, and betters many at much higher prices.

Kind of shocking to experience just how enjoyable this semi open earbud sound is, after believing for so many years that IEMs with their better seal was the only way to go. Of course with the caveat that an earbud form factor is not optimal for noisy environments, and able to work around that.

I'm using a Hiby RS6, NOS mode, Micron microSD.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #344 of 1,851
Back again...this time with the Ripples! Before I move onto my impressions of the sound I just want to take a moment to appreciate the how well presented the Ripples is. The new TGXEar case is a hardshell case with a quality zipper and it's just the right size to fit the buds and a DAC/Amp dongle. From the sleek black packaging, to the earbuds themselves with their smokey grey shell and metallic-styled accessories / cabling...it all feels really professional and cohesive.

_DSC3638.jpg

_DSC3645.jpg

Initial Impressions

The Ripples is an eye-opener...and I hate to sound cliché but, "you'll hear things in your music you never knew were there!". It is a detail behemoth, and revealing of what I feel to be 'true' detail and not simply a run-of-the-mill driver artifically enhancing 'perceived' detail with a high frequency tilt. It's closer to a neutral tonality than the Serratus and much closer to neutral than the Alpha. There is very little 'colouration' of note (apart from that introduced by the source/chain). The midrange is exceptionally clear with good noteweight and a well extended treble region that remains very smooth and very revealing. What sets this driver/set apart is how dynamic it is. It can express dynamic contrast and swings in volume and energy like no other bud I've heard and therefore, despite the neutral tuning, it comes across as highly musical and engaging. It grabs your attention and pulls you into a deeply nuanced replay of your favourites that's full of emotion and character. It's bass is not flat and it certainly isn't 'fluffy' - it's solid, textured and expressive. Vocals are spotlessly clean, balanced and human. The soundstage isn't as wide, nor instruments as well separated as the Alpha or Serratus but it's never congested.

I think the Ripples is placing itself between the Serratus and the Alpha as a 'closer-to-neutral', yet vividly natural set. The Serratus, brighter and more incisive, the Alpha, warmer and more romantic and the Ripples tonally neutral, yet arguably more energetic and life-like in how it conveys things.

I can't wait to share what I hear in a proper review. Well done @tgx78, I think this could be your best yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back