TGXEAR discussion thread.
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,488 of 1,851
Hello Fellow TGX Ear enthusiasts. I spent last night listening to Desolation Sound and now this morning/afternoon (still listening) again. This has been my first real time with the DS. I have only listened via LP6 Ti --> ALO CDM portable tube amp. Two things; first, I am so glad I bought the DS and second, The ALO CDM with any single DD drivers is insanely rich, smooth, tactile, dynamic and weighted. This was an extremely difficult amp to source, luckily a fellow head-fier came to me. Okay, enough amp gushing, lets get to the nitty gritty of my first quick take with DS.

TGX EAR Desolation Sound -> ALO CDM -> LP6 Ti -> Macbook air Qobuz

IMG_8477.jpeg

This is the best earbud I have put into my ears thus far in the hobby. It is just very complete. By that I mean, it is a nuetral, balanced and musical sound. Staging is just as good as Serratus but DS has better height and depth. The timbre and tonality is esquisite and while vocals are forward, it is not so much so to distract from the rest. It excels with most genres. I did notice that with some fast transients or overly distorted guitars, it struggles to resolve. However it resolves much better than my previous favorite bud the VE APWS. The APWS is in my opinion the pinnacle for female vocals and small ensemble or solo stringed instrument. It is not an all rounder but has some of the BEST timbre in the game. DS is not far behind here but what DS does that APWS cannot is multi-genre playability. The CDM amp adds some warmth to the DS and while I prefer this, it also sounds just as lovely without the amp. However the CDM amp does expand the soundstage in all directions. When I first put them in my ears last night hooked up to my CDM, I layed down in the dark and pushed play and I thought the music was coming from my stereo in my room. The music was not in my head and this is very addicitng. DS has better macro dynamics with the CDM. However this is not DS skillset, its micro dynamics is where this set drops my jaw to the floor. Great Separation, clarity and layering with a few niggles here and there. It is early days with DS and while I have still not had much time to listen to Sunniva, I will post more impressions of both soon. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

IMG_8478.jpeg

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #1,489 of 1,851
Hello Fellow TGX Ear enthusiasts. I spent last night listening to Desolation Sound and now this morning/afternoon (still listening) again. This has been my first real time with the DS. I have only listened via LP6 Ti --> ALO CDM portable tube amp. Two things; first, I am so glad I bought the DS and second, The ALO CDM with any single DD drivers is insanely rich, smooth, tactile, dynamic and weighted. This was an extremely difficult amp to source, luckily a fellow head-fier came to me. Okay, enough amp gushing, lets get to the nitty gritty of my first quick take with DS.

IMG_8477.jpeg

This is the best earbud I have put into my ears thus far in the hobby. It is just very complete. By that I mean, it is a nuetral, balanced and musical sound. Staging is just as good as Serratus but DS has better height and depth. The timbre and tonality is esquisite and while vocals are forward, it is not so much so to distract from the rest. It excels with most genres. I did notice that with some fast transients or overly distorted guitars, it struggles to resolve. However it resolves much better than my previous favorite bud the VE APWS. The APWS is in my opinion the pinnacle for female vocals and small ensemble or solo stringed instrument. It is not an all rounder but has some of the BEST timbre in the game. DS is not far behind here but what DS does that APWS cannot is multi-genre playability. The CDM amp adds some warmth to the DS and while I prefer this, it also sounds just as lovely without the amp. However the CDM amp does expand the soundstage in all directions. When I first put them in my ears last night hooked up to my CDM, I layed down in the dark and pushed play and I thought the music was coming from my stereo in my room. The music was not in my head and this is very addicitng. DS has better macro dynamics with the CDM. However this is not DS skillset, its micro dynamics is where this set drops my jaw to the floor. Great Separation, clarity and layering with a few niggles here and there. It is early days with DS and while I have still not had much time to listen to Sunniva, I will post more impressions of both soon. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

IMG_8478.jpeg

Excellent impressions and nodding along in agreement with it all, on both APWS and DS.

Glad you're having as much fun as I am with it.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #1,490 of 1,851
Just wanted to throw it out there that several weeks ago I put up my Carbon for sale if anyone is interested in trying out that set? I forgot to post it here 😅

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,491 of 1,851

IMG_8477.jpeg

IMG_8478.jpeg

I’ve been waiting for your post, nice summary. So glad you’re enjoying these so much, they are a special set for sure.

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #1,494 of 1,851

Thanks for the impressions
When you have more time with CDM, please make comparison with A100TB

TIA

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #1,495 of 1,851
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #1,496 of 1,851
Aug 21, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #1,499 of 1,851
Hello together,
while some are already heard the Sunniva and DS, which one would you recommend as stand alone for different genres.
I have different Venture Electronics IEMs yet like Zen SL but searching for that "one" IEM to rule all the genres..
Thanks and all the best,
Philip

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #1,500 of 1,851
Hello together,
while some are already heard the Sunniva and DS, which one would you recommend as stand alone for different genres.
I have different Venture Electronics IEMs yet like Zen SL but searching for that "one" IEM to rule all the genres..
Thanks and all the best,
Philip

With and without foams Sunniva is a good, engaging all rounder but it can never match the technicalities of DS (resolution, staging etc). DS can do most genres well but is less forward and lighter on midbass and may sound less engaging if you prioritise midbass and weight.

Personally, I consider DS the better 'all rounder' but I guess my taste and library may differ from yours.

I use thin donut foams on Zen SL and feel its less warm but similarly forward in the midrange as Sunniva. DS is more neutral by comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back