Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,356 of 17,588
I use such an amp on daily basis. It is VERY linear. Just to make sure it can play whatever the source is providing with aplomb.

You didn't even understand what I said.

I can design you an amplifier with MHz bandwidth, 100+ dB dynamic range, but it would NOT be very linear. Yet you're saying vinyl can be the equal or better than digital based only on bandwidth and dynamic range, leaving linearity out of the picture.

Show me vinyl that can equal or exceed the linearity of digital. Or even get close.

se

May 7, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #5,357 of 17,588
Oh, and are you assuming all recording would be direct to disc? No intervening analog tape?

se

No. I am realist.

Technically, it IS challenging. But the 1234567890'+!"#$%&/()=?* ( a curse stronger than anything you can even think of )  PCM and DSP have de facto spoiled the generations of the musicians after it was introduced to be practically incapable of recording without multiple takes, splitting, etc -  everybody is damn afraid to put a wrong note for posterity as a recording. 

Sad - but true.

May 7, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5,358 of 17,588
No. I am realist.

Then speak to the linearity of vinyl.

Technically, it IS challenging. But the 1234567890'+!"#$%&/()=?* ( a curse stronger than anything you can even think of )  PCM and DSP have de facto spoiled the generations of the musicians after it was introduced to be practically incapable of recording without multiple takes, splitting, etc -  everybody is damn afraid to put a wrong note for posterity as a recording. 

Sad - but true.

You don't think there were multiple takes, etc. with tape?

se

May 7, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #5,360 of 17,588
Then speak to the linearity of vinyl.
You don't think there were multiple takes, etc. with tape?

se

Linearity of the vinyl - as linearity of the frequency response or linearity of the dynamic range ?

With tape, there WERE multiple takes, etc. The most horrible are classical recordings with VERY low tape hiss, then all of a sudden instant switch to MUCH higher hiss, some 3-4 notes of a solo instrument played, loud hiss continuing for a second or two, sharp transition to low hiss "bussiness as usual". Such records even got prizes ...

Except for the fact that THE BEST recordings were always done live - listen to Mravinsky recordings on Melodiya, coughing in presumably cold russian winters be damned...

One VERY good live recording is the last time Willy Boskovsky was conducting The New Year concert in Vienna - in 1979. It is also the first digitally recorded recording by Decca - and in vinyl it is SUPERB. CD version is not nearly as good.

May 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #5,361 of 17,588
I am hearing so much noise.............................................................................................................................................

foreground noise and...lots of distortion.... no dynamic range at all, just noise...

May 7, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5,362 of 17,588
  I am hearing so much noise.............................................................................................................................................

foreground noise and...lots of distortion.... no dynamic range at all, just noise...

Can you survive all of that pseudo random noise?

May 7, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5,363 of 17,588
  But it sounds better on DSD.
blink.gif

Of course, just like Neil Young
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5,364 of 17,588

Can you survive all of that pseudo random noise?

I don't think I can, no...

May 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5,365 of 17,588
Linearity of the vinyl - as linearity of the frequency response or linearity of the dynamic range ?

Neither. I'm speaking of the underlying linearity of an analog record/playback chain. Namely the tape machine, the cutter head, the LP itself, and the phono cartridge. We'll assume that the intermediate electronics are perfect.

Lack of linearity results in distortion. Most notably harmonic and intermodulation distortion.

So if you were to feed a perfect sine wave into an analog tape recorder, produce an LP with it, and play it back on the best vinyl rig in existence, how much distortion could we be expected to see coming out of the phono cartridge?

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back