Testing audiophile claims and myths
May 5, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #5,161 of 17,589

Are you now talking about the cable between the Stax amp and the Stax headphones? You failed to specify.

Funny... yesterday you were talking about how important silver interconnects are in a studio. Tomorrow I'm sure you will say that the advantages of silver cables can only be heard with native DSD recordings. And so it goes, again and again...

Yes, the cable between the Stax amp and the Stax headphones.

Or any electrostatic cable between the driver and headphone.

BTW - Stax DOES offer silver cables for this purpose - although because the design itself is flawed ( be it copper or silver ) to the max, I would never consider buying them.

The advantages - or disaddvantages - of silver cables ( depends whom you ask )  can be heard on any decent recording - no native DSD recording required.

May 5, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #5,162 of 17,589

That post specified specs for an  RCA cable

We are discussing INTERCONNECTS

Try to keep up

Now you are trying to change the subject - because you should know where what I claim leads to - and that it is capable to pierce ANY armor - yet invented or not -claiming that cables can not, under any circumstances, mean an audible difference.

And I was being merciful - staying within the realm of headphones. That is why I did scroll trough the profiles of members on this thread yesterday.

As none of you have listed using analog turntable with magnetic  cartridge, I decided not to bring that up. But it looks something like this : 
http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

PLEASE NOTE : this is entirely different than electrostatic headphones driven by amps case !!!

Yet both cases ARE clearly audible - and both can be improved by using less capacitance

May 5, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #5,163 of 17,589
Just asking, how do you ignore people here (ie. make them disappear)? I want to see what it's like for everyone to argue with thin air.

Oh wait, we already are. :)

May 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #5,165 of 17,589
  Just asking, how do you ignore people here (ie. make them disappear)? I want to see what it's like for everyone to argue with thin air.

If you hover the mouse over the name, a drop-down list appears, then click "Block Member". You will need to refresh the page for the change to be applied to a thread you are already viewing.

May 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #5,166 of 17,589
  Yes, the cable between the Stax amp and the Stax headphones.

Or any electrostatic cable between the driver and headphone.

BTW - Stax DOES offer silver cables for this purpose - although because the design itself is flawed ( be it copper or silver ) to the max, I would never consider buying them.

The advantages - or disaddvantages - of silver cables ( depends whom you ask )  can be heard on any decent recording - no native DSD recording required.

What is an "electrostatic cable"? Never heard of any such animal.

May 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #5,167 of 17,589
cables for electrostats are special - the cable even with special construction, foamed dielectric still accounts for ~30% of the C load your amp has to drive

also with some project amps having more stored energy in their supplies than defibrillators it is good to see double/reinforced insulation for the  volts

May 5, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #5,168 of 17,589
Quote:
  Assumption is the mother of all XXXXXXXX .

Try to get the REAL values for the Stax - particularly the model I posted.

And be amazed/shocked how many orders of magnitude the above assumption is removed from the truth ...

I just measured my SR-207 and got a whole 134pf.

What is an "electrostatic cable"? Never heard of any such animal.

Just the cable for a pair electrostatic headphones like Stax or the Koss ESP-950.  They just usually need to be rated for higher voltages, and usually lower capacitance than a cable used for normal headphones since an electrostatic transducer already a capacitive load anyway.

May 5, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #5,169 of 17,589
FWIW from a cable manufacturer/seller

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/exoticmaterials.htm

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/doeswirematter.htm

and a hodgepodge of good info

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm

May 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #5,170 of 17,589
May 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,171 of 17,589
@analogsurviver
 Sounds like more of that creative story telling. First point is that the band was not playing consistently, microphone placement cannot possibly cause this. That is an issue with musicianship.
Next point; how many microphones did you use and what was the placement. Give me dimensions. I'll bet that the delays cannot possibly account for what I heard, other some creative storytelling.
There is nothing in point #2 that can account for point #1. I recommend that they practice more.

(responding to an old msg, but it's not like the current cable "debate" was any better/useful.)

Those are not musicianship issues, the fault lies with anyone who had the "genius" idea to build an organized band of gipsy musicians. That's like trying to teach horses to swim belly-up ... you may succeed but they are just not made for that. The entire magic of the gipsy music lies in the free-flowing energy that they unleash in their songs. Get rid of that, confine them into some restricted, rules-based system and you have .. nothing.
Also, anyone who complains about things like tune/sync/pitch after a gipsy concert either attended the wrong one or did not understand anything. If you wanna know what's that about, go to a gipsy wedding or some gipsy festival or even watch a gipsy movie ... the whatever philharmonic is the last place where you will hear true and enjoyable gipsy music.

May 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5,172 of 17,589
  Quote:

I just measured my SR-207 and got a whole 134pf.

Just the cable for a pair electrostatic headphones like Stax or the Koss ESP-950.  They just usually need to be rated for higher voltages, and usually lower capacitance than a cable used for normal headphones since an electrostatic transducer already a capacitive load anyway.

Correct. I have Lambda Pro and SR-207 is a variation on the theme - the capacitance differences are negligible, around 10 pF IIRC.

Now please see what this capacitance means regarding the corner frequency of whatever Stax amp you have ...- hope not it is the little one from the pic I posted above.

May 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #5,173 of 17,589
So the Stax headphones have specs that are like 120 pF and very little resistance.. How does that roll off the high end?

May 5, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #5,174 of 17,589
  cables for electrostats are special - the cable even with special construction, foamed dielectric still accounts for ~30% of the C load your amp has to drive

also with some project amps having more stored energy in their supplies than defibrillators it is good to see double/reinforced insulation for the  volts

I was hoping you would chime in - because I know you are knowledgeable in the matter of electrostatics.

But I must say I am surprised at the overly optimistic asumption regarding the percentage of the C load that gets eaten up by the cable. I DID achieve 
around this percentage (I have to dig out the papers with the exact figures) - but original Stax is FAR worse - cable has MORE capacitance than the driver itself ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back