Testing audiophile claims and myths
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,281 of 17,589
the volume pots are just different.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #2,283 of 17,589
At the same volume, they would be the same. I don't see why it matters whether one pot goes to ten and the other goes to 11 if they have the same sound at the same output level. Maybe I'm missing something.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2,285 of 17,589
At the same volume, they would be the same. I don't see why it matters whether one pot goes to ten and the other goes to 11 if they have the same sound at the same output level. Maybe I'm missing something.

If the gains are different, you won't get the same volume at the same setting if the pots are identical. Your saying it's because the pots are different implies the gains are identical. Was wondering what was giving you that idea.

se

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,286 of 17,589
why not just turn the quiet one up a bit?

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2,289 of 17,589
I'd just listen to music and not worry about it.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #2,291 of 17,589
Not with volume matching

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #2,292 of 17,589
So the difference in gain structure and volume pot from one amp to the next could explain the subjective terms such as 'laid-back', 'sterile', 'warm' etc?

It certainly can, yes. It's been well known for a long time that simple differences in volume can be subjectively perceived as differences in quality. This is something that has been taken advantage of by less than honest salespeople for many years, making sure that the system they want to sell is played slightly louder than those that they don't. This is why serious research into audio makes sure to precisely match levels to remove that variable.

se

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,293 of 17,589
Steve, if one amp has a different gain structure to another, does that mean one amp can apply more power over a more narrow portion of the volume pot compared to another?

Like some amps may need you to wind them up, if they have a lower gain. It's interesting, because there are times where more powerful amps tend to sound softer at a relative position, and it could because the pot and gain isn't sensitive over a narrow zone, but more so over a wider area.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #2,294 of 17,589
I also noticed that the better the reproduced sound or music. The quieter it seems subjectively. So I seem to turn up really awesome equipment to crazy levels before I realize that it's kinda loud.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #2,295 of 17,589
  I also noticed that the better the reproduced sound or music. The quieter it seems subjectively. So I seem to turn up really awesome equipment to crazy levels before I realize that it's kinda loud.

It's only natural to crank it up.  Anyone who ever enjoyed live music performances knows that it's generally not "background" music, unless someone has just entering into a legally binding agreement and there's a big cake in the room. So when listening to recorded music we want to hear it at live performance volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back