Testing audiophile claims and myths
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,132 of 17,589
.  Objectivists are the ones who acknowledge their fallibility and who therefore look to objective tests to help them in understanding how audio works.  It's the audiophiles who think that they are infallible and that their opinions should therefore be dispositive, and who cares what the test results show.     

Not to be facetious but the term "objectivism" is too tied up with Ayn Rand for my taste. To quote Wikipedia:

Objectivism is a philosophy created by Russian-American philosopher and novelist Ayn Rand (1905–1982). Objectivism's central tenets are that reality exists independent of consciousness, that human beings have direct contact with reality through sense perception, that one can attain objective knowledge from perception through the process of concept formation and inductive logic, that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness (or rational self-interest), that the only social system consistent with this morality is full respect for individual rights embodied in laissez-faire capitalism, and that the role of art in human life is to transform humans' metaphysical ideas by selective reproduction of reality into a physical form—a work of art—that one can comprehend and to which one can respond emotionally.[citation needed]

I think that we are talking about things that are scientifically verifiable in this thread.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,133 of 17,589
Quote:
Not to be facetious but the term "objectivism" is too tied up with Ayn Rand for my taste. To quote Wikipedia:

Objectivism is a philosophy created by Russian-American philosopher and novelist Ayn Rand (1905–1982). Objectivism's central tenets are that reality exists independent of consciousness, that human beings have direct contact with reality through sense perception, that one can attain objective knowledge from perception through the process of concept formation and inductive logic, that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness (or rational self-interest), that the only social system consistent with this morality is full respect for individual rights embodied in laissez-faire capitalism, and that the role of art in human life is to transform humans' metaphysical ideas by selective reproduction of reality into a physical form—a work of art—that one can comprehend and to which one can respond emotionally.[citation needed]

I think that we are talking about things that are scientifically verifiable in this thread.

You've been reading the wrong article. Try this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_%28philosophy%29

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,135 of 17,589
Quote:
Ok,as long as it's objectivity I am all for it!

I just dug this out from an older thread where I posted:
Quote:

Subjectivism:

- the philosophical tenet that "our own mental activity is the only unquestionable fact of our experience" or that "accords primacy to subjective experience as fundamental of all measure and law"
- an extreme form is Solipsism (= only one's own mind is sure to exist, existence of every object may depend solely on someone's subjective awareness of it)
- metaphysical subjectivism: reality is what we perceive to be real, and no underlying true reality exists independently of perception

Subjectivity:

- a subject's personal perspective, experiences, feelings, beliefs and desires
- based on human perception and its influences, human cultural interventions, past experience and expectation of the result

Objectivism:

- any of various theories asserting the validity of objective phenomena over subjective experience
- metaphysical objectivism: there is an underlying 'objective' reality which is perceived in different ways
- in strong versions there is only one correct description of this reality

Objectivity:

- central philosophical concept, that means the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual feelings, imaginings, or interpretations
- objective truth: truth conditions are met and are "mind-independent"

Back there all these things were mixed and confused including Ayn's philosophy.

If you read up on the strong or extreme forms of subjectivism be warned: it's pure BS.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #2,136 of 17,589
Just wanted to know, if you have a stereo system combined with other speakers in a room, is it true that the additional unused speakers may act like passive radiators at some frequencies? Is this a myth or is there some truth to this? I have noticed that if I play some music on my main speakers set full range I feel my subwoofer cone move a little even when it's disconnected from the system. Weird.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,137 of 17,589
A passive radiator is sealed inside a cabinet alongside the active driver. Your unpowered sub sitting in the same room won't serve the same purpose.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #2,138 of 17,589
Just wanted to know, if you have a stereo system combined with other speakers in a room, is it true that the additional unused speakers may act like passive radiators at some frequencies? Is this a myth or is there some truth to this? I have noticed that if I play some music on my main speakers set full range I feel my subwoofer cone move a little even when it's disconnected from the system. Weird.

They won't act like passive radiators, instead they act like Helmholz resonators and will absorb sound about their resonant frequency.

se

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #2,140 of 17,589
Would an unused subwoofer act like a bass trap of sorts? And other speakers in a room? What impact would they have on a pair of stereo speakers? I've always been told that a stereo system should have other speakers out the room otherwise it may contaminate the sound.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2,141 of 17,589
Quote:

Would that not be detrimental to sound quality for stereo?

Seems that it would be no more detrimental than all the other absorbent and reflective materials you have in the listening area that affect your accoustics.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #2,142 of 17,589
Are the unused speakers shorted? I'd think that in this case there hardly were any movement.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,143 of 17,589
Quote:
They won't act like passive radiators, instead they act like Helmholz resonators and will absorb sound about their resonant frequency.

se

That's interesting.
basshead.gif
  I didn't know that.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,144 of 17,589
Quote:

That's interesting.
basshead.gif
  I didn't know that.

Yeah, you can even put a variable resistor across the driver to change the Q of the resonance (i.e. how narrow or wide it is) and/or add some mass to the driver to lower the resonant frequency.

Using Helmholz resonators to control room acoustics goes back to ancient times, the first examples being clay pots built into the walls with ashes put inside them to provide damping.

se

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,145 of 17,589
but their effectiveness may be no better than the fraction of room interior surface area their opening makes up - ie not much

you get some multiplier effect by locating at nodes in the room at the resonator frequency - but its not going to make up the differnce between concrete walls and green glue constrained layer damped hanging/isolator suspended gypsum board wall/ceiling or a foot of fiberglass behind acoustic tiles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back