tested fiio e1 with e-q7, ie-7 and d2000...guess what...
Jan 9, 2010 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ericp10

Sits up all night comparing IEMs.
Okay, I have to admit that although I'm one of those who believe in the benefits of burn in, I never given much credence to the benefits of a amplifier (no matter how big or small) for earphones and headphones. But on a whim I ordered the new Fiio E1 - thinking if it doesn't work I'm only out of $20 - and it arrived in the mail from Hong Kong today. And guess what??

I AM A BELIEVER NOW!!!!!
atsmile.gif

So, I own a pair of Ortofon e-q7, Sennheiser ie-7, U.E. tf10 pro, Etymotic hf5 and (my only cans) a Denon D2000. Oh, I had a pair of Shure e500s, but I recently gave them to a good friend of mine after getting more than two years of use out of them. I wanted to introduce him to high-end world of IEMs. When I first saw how small the e1 is, I must admit to being very skeptical. How could this improve the sound and the wide soundstage of the ie-7? And really, how in the world could this little device - looking like a cheap ipod toy - do any justice to the clarity, transparency and live music sound of the e-q7? Well, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

I first plugged my ie-7 into the e1 (connected to the 2008 ipod 120gb classic model). I had just finished burning in the ie-7s for 40 hours and was anxious to hear the improvements in the phones. I chose two songs - r&b group Rufus' "Stay" in 320 and Miles Davis' "So What?" in lossless. Knowing the ie-7's vast soundstage yet slight veiled renderings, man was I blown away!!
The e1 added more depth and tightness to the already deep bass of the Sennheiser. It also brought the midrange out more with more clarity and a lesser veiled sound. I was impressed to say the least. The treble was there and crisper. Oh, and the soundstage widened even more.

That's what the e1 did the for the ie-7, but I wasn't prepared for what I heard next with the e-q7s. You have seen me say often in my short time on this forum that the e-q7s are the best earphones I've ever heard. In short, it makes my studio albums sound like live recordings with its clarity and transparency. But the e1 made these IEMs sound even better!! I listened to Miles again, and...well have you ever got so much joy out of something that you either cry or you smile and laugh profusely? Well, I didn't cry, but I couldn't stop smiling and laughing. It took "So What?" to a whole different level with those phones. Then I switched to last year's 16gb nano (no eq-ing used on any ipod) and listened to Dr. Buzzards' "Che La Femme" and Led Zep's "Stairway to Heaven". It's just amazing when you think your music could not sound any better than what you've heard.... and it does.

One thing about e1 and e-q7, it seemed to cut the bass a little bit, but tighten it even more. Don't get me wrong, there was still plenty bass, but the e1 seems to concentrate on bringing the mids out more and shining up the treble a bit with the e-q7. With the ie-7s, the bass was deeper but the mids also came out in more detail...

Finally, I tested the e1 with the Denon d2000. Now, I must say that I was about ready to sell the d2000s, because despite all the hype (and they are great cans) the midrange was too recessed for me... The bass is excellent (I love good bass) but I need a forward midrange to enjoy my music to the fullest. The e1 brought the mids forwards. It was a pleasant surprise (I listened to Elton John's "Your Song" and Dr. Buzzard again on the nano).

Now, if I'm finding this much joy out of a $20 amp, I can only imagine what more expensive amps are capable of. So to the amps lovers who tried to tell me and doubted you, my most humble apologies. Right now, however, this e1 will have to do me because I have no funds readily available to buy a more expensive amp. I do have the e5 on the way though. I ordered both together from Dealextreme, but no e5 product as of yet. I will be interested in knowing the difference in the two tiny amplifiers. I haven't tested with the hf5 or tf10 yet, but I will get around to it.

ClieOS didn't stir me wrong when he said this amp works and helps produce a nice sound. Okay, I typed too much perhaps, but I'm really excited about discovering this new little product....

EricP10

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Glad you enjoy your new toy, now if only you have one of those those $200 amp. *poisoning* Feel the itch?
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you enjoy your new toy, now if only you have one of those those $200 amp. *poisoning* Feel the itch?
biggrin.gif

Please don't wish that on me @ ClieOS, I'm trying to climb out of this recession... lol. Although I'm sure I'm contributing to the economies of China and other countries. Oh well.
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smirk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Thanks @ Smirk. Yea, it took about a good two to three weeks. I ordered the E1 and E5 together, but they only sent 1 (pun intended). Hopefully the E7 will be ready by the time they ship out the E5.
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 7
good review,

Well I can't tell difference in audio quality with terms and so, but I do feel and have an idea of better sound quality.
I bought one Fiio E1 for a friend of mine whose iPod headphones out stopped working. 
When it arrived I tested it on my iPod touch out of curiosity, then I was really surprised, my 60 ohms koss portapro sounded better to my ears.
I couldn't believe it, so I came here to look for reviews and found this good one. Yes E1 is very nice. plus you can keep your iPod hidden and enjoy it.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
good review,

Well I can't tell difference in audio quality with terms and so, but I do feel and have an idea of better sound quality.
I bought one Fiio E1 for a friend of mine whose iPod headphones out stopped working. 
When it arrived I tested it on my iPod touch out of curiosity, then I was really surprised, my 60 ohms koss portapro sounded better to my ears.
I couldn't believe it, so I came here to look for reviews and found this good one. Yes E1 is very nice. plus you can keep your iPod hidden and enjoy it.

My anemic $26 Clip+ connected to my miniscule $8 E3 really added some detail and body to my cheap $17 Meelec M6's.  Great combo for working out.  I should get the E5 for the belt clip though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back