Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #526 of 655
I have had the same issue with my Hiby R2-II—but not my R3-II (yet?)—and I was not the only one to experience the issue, see R2 thread.

Yeah, my R2 II also likes to act like this from time to time. Less often than it used to, but still..

Hasn't happened to my TempoTec V3, though. Not even once.
I hope it's just an incident.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #528 of 655
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #530 of 655
Are you looking to buy one of those three?
I had been looking into these three as well, went with the M0 pro (they were easier to get in my country and much cheaper).

I really like the look of the V3 though.. but probably it's overkill if I'll be using it with Audio-Technica Ath-m50x headphones?

Anyway I'm still interested in your sound comparising opinions 😁

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #532 of 655
The thing about the R3 II and the V3 is they both have HiByOS, so they both have MSEB. They also have a fixed band equalizer, which the Shanlings only have. Based on my experiences with the HiBy R3 Pro, Tempotec Variations V6, and Shanling M5s and Q1, I'd hazard an educated guess that all three have excellent sound quality. But the Tempotec and the HiBy having MSEB makes them more versatile if you don't gel with the stock sound, you can enable MSEB and shape it how you like it.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #534 of 655
Tell us how is it against the R3ii. I'm pretty sure it is not as good as the V3 because it has better hardware. With 0.X version, V3 was neutral, clean and flat, but with a very big scenario. With the new 1.0 is a more musical full bodied warm profile with special emphasis on the middles. Both are great, but now I feel it has less soundstage... Is my perception using Fiio FD5, FH7S, KZ Castor Bass, ZS 10 Pro X and TRN conch. Pretty basics my things 😅
i will once R3 II arrives and yes on 0.4 V3 was very flat to my ears too now with v1.0 i feel it has more pronounced bass and mids making the sound more like other AKM dacs i've heard but who knows maybe it's just my imagination anyway i like it better after v1.0
i just hope R3 II sounds like BTR15 since both have the same dacs but the implementation is what counts i really like BTR15 sound the bass is just amazing

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #535 of 655
I had been looking into these three as well, went with the M0 pro (they were easier to get in my country and much cheaper).

I really like the look of the V3 though.. but probably it's overkill if I'll be using it with Audio-Technica Ath-m50x headphones?

Anyway I'm still interested in your sound comparising opinions 😁

Yeah, M0 Pro can currently be bought for about $90 on AliExpress sales. So there is a bit of a price difference between them, but tbf I'm mostly just interested in sound quality.

M0 Pro is sharp, highs frequencies are enhanced. So is not the best tone for having it long periods of time in your ears. I also wonder how is it against the R3 II, but it must be better: better DACs, better amps.
To me the M0 Pro sounded noticeably warmer/less sharp/more bassy than what I was using before (a MacBook). But I did notice a resolution/imaging decrease coming from a MacBook (so now I'm looking for something that won't show that decrease).

As for being better than R3 II, I'm not sure about that: M0 Pro and R3 II both use the exact same dual ES9219C DACs in the exact same configuration (probably bought from the same manufacturer as SOCs and stuck into the housing).

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #536 of 655
Yeah, M0 Pro can currently be bought for about $90 on AliExpress sales. So there is a bit of a price difference between them, but tbf I'm mostly just interested in sound quality.

To me the M0 Pro sounded noticeably warmer/less sharp/more bassy than what I was using before (a MacBook). But I did notice a resolution/imaging decrease coming from a MacBook (so now I'm looking for something that won't show that decrease).

As for being better than R3 II, I'm not sure about that: M0 Pro and R3 II both use the exact same dual ES9219C DACs in the exact same configuration (probably bought from the same manufacturer as SOCs and stuck into the housing).
Most of DAPs or dongle DACs or any external DAC will be noticeable better than a computer or smartphone.
I was talking about the V3 😅, also DACs just decode 1s and 0s from digital to analog signals. Most of how it sounds depends on the other components. So they could share DACs, but they won't sound as the other...

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #538 of 655
Most of DAPs or dongle DACs or any external DAC will be noticeable better than a computer or smartphone.
I was talking about the V3 😅, also DACs just decode 1s and 0s from digital to analog signals. Most of how it sounds depends on the other components. So they could share DACs, but they won't sound as the other...

Regarding computers, that's what I thought as well but found out that isn't the case; even with decent DAPs and DACs, you don't always get better sound quality. MacBook Pros, for example, already have relatively high quality DACs and amps built in so replacing them with at least equal sound quality is proving a bit difficult for me without going up a tier in price for the DAP.

To be exact: soundstage, clarity and separation are audibly better on a MacBook than they are on a small DAP. Drums have a sort of decay where you can hear the drum skin vibrating and the note decaying, for example, whereas the same sound on a DAP is cut off much quicker (although it does have more bass by default).

Or for another example, on a MacBook when I listen to some songs that start with drumbeats and then guitars kick in a few seconds later, guitars sound like they're right next to my ears on both sides and equal in volume to the drums whereas on a small DAP they sound more recessed (behind me) and slightly different volume-wise.

Things like that is basically why I'm still holding off on buying a small DAP. I only had a chance to try one so far and it's not that I dislike it or anything, but I just feel if I'm gonna spend anything on a DAP I should look for something with at least equal sound quality to what I already have (an inconvenient laptop that I can't carry around everywhere).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back