Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #346 of 645
Here is the verification music file, it is a repackaged DSD in a Flac container. https://github.com/Lurker00/DX200-f...README.md#tracks-to-test-bit-perfect-playback
If the player or DAC does not know how to bit perfect, then there will be no music to be heard.
So the first test is requires HiBy's USB to SPDIF cable, did you use it?
The instruction says
Connect your device' S/PDIF output to S/PDIF input of a DTS-capable decoder, and start playing the track in any software player.
The point is possible downsampling to 44.1kHz in Android system, and not mystical bit changing in HiBy OS.
Anyway, dts_test44.zip plays correct and I can hear music. The third file DSD64-in-DoP.flac is also plays correct and I can hear music.
I use FoxLess DA1 DAC and it shows correct (not changed) sample rate for PCM and DSD rate with LED color indication.
Moreover I tried the different test files from 2L and it's always shows correct LED color indicator.
You can also dig deeper and get access to UART log console, HiBy OS is always reports sample rate to log.

BTW SPDIF and USB are different and separated 'sound cards' (or output devices) in HiBy OS. Specifically spdif can be limited to 192k sample rate and USB output is unlimited.
BT output is also limited to 192kHz.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #347 of 645
No there is a free returns option if you’re in the states. Gets sent to California
There are actually 24 countries which can use the free returns service. The problem is that the item must be in an original packaging: "you have responsibility to keep the item in perfect condition and in its original packaging, which mean not affect the secondary sales of the product". Most people do not keep the original packaging, or damage it in the process of opening - and the part with 'not affect the secondary sales of the product' effectively means that in most cases the seller may (justly) claim that the condition of the item affects secondary sales and deduct the shipping costs (and more) from the refund.

Wouldn't it have been so, I would have gladly returned the player, in spite of its 129$ cost. Even when used as a USB DAC connected to a PC - which doesn't force you to use the built-in buggy player, the device still generates inteference noises, similarly to described here (a bit less than when BT/wifi are on)

Correction: the part about interference when used as USB DAC was wrong - after I wrote the message above, I noticed that wifi was on during my tests, so this is what caused the interference. After I turned it off, I don't hear the problem when the device is used as USB DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #348 of 645
So the first test is requires HiBy's USB to SPDIF cable, did you use it?
The instruction says
I don't understand why I need to connect to another DTS-enabled decoder? When connected via an android phone, these verification files are perfectly audible. But I need v3 to be able to play them by putting them in headphones. Do you play these test files if you run the player in v3 and connect it to headphones?

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #349 of 645
Did you put volume of V3 to 100% while testing bit perfect?
Yes, I've tried it on all kinds of modes and settings. By the way, I played with the MSEB function a little and it allows me to improve the sound a little. It's not a fact that the sound is getting more accurate, rather the opposite, but it's a little more pleasant for me to listen.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #350 of 645
Yes, I've tried it on all kinds of modes and settings. By the way, I played with the MSEB function a little and it allows me to improve the sound a little. It's not a fact that the sound is getting more accurate, rather the opposite, but it's a little more pleasant for me to listen.
when you MSEB is on it's not bitperfect. I'm sure you realized this.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #352 of 645
Hello everyone, it's my first post! I had all the problems mentioned above, I returned it today. I solved the problem that the songs did not appear by moving all the folders to the root of the SD. It's a shame about Tempotec's QC, it was too good to be true.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #353 of 645
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. It's off my list as it's definitely not worth the asking price of ~19K INR/230 USD in India.

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #354 of 645
these verification files
These are not verification files. These files are used for testify specific Android player problem that described in instruction.
If second file is not playable you can always send it to HiBy/TempoTec support with bug report. You made a loud statement about not bit perfect but the problem is just one specific file.
I don't understand why I need to connect to another DTS-enabled decoder?
The instruction is very specific, the first test requires DTS-enabled decoder and uses spdif connection:
A PCM sound stream may contain DTS-encoded data for 5.1 channel sound. Such a stream can be played back via S/PDIF output, connected to a DTS decoder (e.g. any modern Home Theatre receiver). For player application and all the subsequent path, such a stream looks like a usual PCM stream. DTS decoder is able to lock and decode DTS only if it receives the stream untouched. It means, if DTS decoder locks and decode the stream, the stream is passed bit perfect from the file to the decoder.
In case of success, the decoder should display an indicator that DTS stream is detected. Then you'll hear a good sound. In case of a failure, there will be no indication, and you'll hear very unpleasant digital noise
But the second part, DSD64 in DoP, can be passed on V3 and also means 'it is capable of bit perfect playback'.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #355 of 645
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. It's off my list as it's definitely not worth the asking price of ~19K INR/230 USD in India.
It also depends on how you plan to use it.
I'm actually fine with mine, now that i've found microSD that works.
For me it's a simple spare DAP to play local flac and mp3, that drives all my headphones and iems and sounds really good, so i'm keeping it even if Tempotec never fixes any bugs.

xx.jpg

No, Lotoo still sounds more refined and "correct" to me, it's not that big of the difference though.

Jan 18, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #356 of 645
And to add something to the discussion, I guess that most of you haven't had a chance to try out TempoTec March III - a 129$ DAC/AMP released by TT several months ago, based on AK4493SEQ + 4*OPA1688.
I've owned it since May '23 and it's proven to be my everyday stationary setup.

Turns out that TempoTec V3 and March III sound exactly alike. Even their volume levels match up.

I'm in the camp that enjoys this signature and, so far, I haven't experienced any major bugs or sound issues with my copy, though your mileage varies.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #358 of 645
Hey guys! Do your buttons on the bottom (tranport controls) actually work? Mine don't repond at all. Nothing helps in the settings. Probably they forgot to connect the board on mine or would be fixed with the firmware update.
Yes, they work fine and I find the player to be generally excellent. Nice design, functionality and portability. Better than I expected to be honest and battery life excellent with wired iems.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #359 of 645
Does anybody figured out how to completely solve micro sd card reading/scanning problems? Or should we wait for an update... TempoTec customer service is the worst (no service at all) 🫤🫤🫤

Jan 18, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #360 of 645
Does anybody figured out how to completely solve micro sd card reading/scanning problems? Or should we wait for an update... TempoTec customer service is the worst (no service at all) 🫤🫤🫤
I was having problems with scanning and the solve for me was to remove acc files encoded as .mp4 from my card. I have an almost full 256gig card with flac and .mp3 only and it scans correctly for me now. I believe the files at issue for me came from itunes back in the day, but I'm 100% on that cause I didn't even realize I had lossy music on my card until I ran into the scanning issue. :grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back