Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Jan 16, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #331 of 645
I confirmed that the .m4a files are the problem. I loaded and album of .m4a files on my sd card and the device crashed while scanning the database. It scanned normally after deleting that album off my card.

FYI: I have about 1300 .m4a alac and 1600 .flac files on my V3 (256GB microSD, exFAT) and I have no problem.
It might be better to check your microSD with h2testw if you haven't tried it yet.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #332 of 645
I don’t think it’s the card cause it worked flawlessly for years on my m9. I don’t have an explanation for the bug, but I was able to replicate it. It might not be the case that all .m4a files cause problems for people, but I’m confident that at least one album of those files was the problem in my case.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #333 of 645
either buy a cheap amp or cheap active monitors.
Thank you for the explanation. The reason I want to do that, is to have compact energy independent passive speaker to listen to music at night. For some reasons I can’t use headphones as often as I want.

I have a big self made portable speaker with Bluetooth and an airplay enabled dedicated amp) but sometimes it is just too much devices to turn on and run.

My philosophy was to plug a single passive device to dedicated DAP)

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #334 of 645
Hi, I bought v3 and I'm a little disappointed with the sound.
It's sad that v3 can't output bit perfect sound.
The sound is processed by the OS. Or I didn't find how to make him do it.
Here is the verification music file, it is a repackaged DSD in a Flac container. https://github.com/Lurker00/DX200-f...README.md#tracks-to-test-bit-perfect-playback
If the player or DAC does not know how to bit perfect, then there will be no music to be heard. If I connect v3 in D.A.C. mode to the phone, then my UAPP player on the phone can be bit perfect and this track plays on v3. And some of those who wrote here can hear the difference in sound if connected via D.A.C mode.

Well, my impression of the sound is that the v3 has a worse sound than through the E1DA 9038D DAC, it does not have the clarity and drive that this DAC has. Perhaps simply because v3 does not know how to reproduce the bit perfectly and greatly interferes with sound processing. To be honest, I'm disappointed with the sound.

The sound is similar as through cotton wool. I can't hear the instruments that are heard on e1da. I also doubt that there is a power of 610mW, I listen to a rather quiet Dire Straits-Six Blade Knife composition on the Sennheiser HD599 and on the e1da with its 180 mW and 3.5 jack, I turn on the sound by 95%, and on v3 by 4.4BAL by 80-85%, and where is the power difference of 3.4 times?
I wanted to buy a Sennheiser HD660s, but now I doubt that the v3 will be able to reveal them.

There was also a glitch, just flipping left and right. Only the reboot helped. There was also an exclamation mark in the tray, which I could only remove with a full reset. The software is of course very raw.

photo-2024-01-17-09-45-59.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #335 of 645
Here is the verification music file, it is a repackaged DSD in a Flac container. https://github.com/Lurker00/DX200-f...README.md#tracks-to-test-bit-perfect-playback
If the player or DAC does not know how to bit perfect, then there will be no music to be heard. If I connect v3 in D.A.C. mode to the phone, then my UAPP player on the phone can be bit perfect and this track plays on v3. And some of those who wrote here can hear the difference in sound if connected via D.A.C mode.

Well, my impression of the sound is that the v3 has a worse sound than through the E1 DA 9038D DAC, it does not have the clarity and drive that this DAC has. Perhaps simply because v3 does not know how to reproduce the bit perfectly and greatly interferes with sound processing. To be honest, I'm disappointed with the sound.

The sound is similar as through cotton wool. I can't hear the instruments that are heard on e1da. I also doubt that there is a power of 610mW, I listen to a rather quiet Dire Straits-Six Blade Knife composition on the Sennheiser HD599 and on the e1da with its 180 mW and 3.5 jack, I turn off the sound by 95%, and on v3 by 4.4BAL by 80-85%, and where is the power difference of 3.4 times?
I wanted to buy a Sennheiser HD660s, but now I doubt that the v3 will be able to reveal them.

There was also a glitch, just flipping left and right. Only the reboot helped. There was also an exclamation mark in the tray, which I could only remove with a full reset. The software is of course very raw.

I believe that this version of Hiby OS, stinks. Same as the R3II. Weird how the internals also showed a Hiby labelled battery. Maybe we should lean on Hiby to do better for these players.

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #336 of 645
I believe that this version of Hiby OS, stinks. Same as the R3II. Weird how the internals also showed a Hiby labelled battery. Maybe we should lean on Hiby to do better for these players.
I completely agree. I do have a pretty big issue with the hiby software when we have apps like UAPP which has all of the features that hiby players should provide plus far superior streaming capabilities. I'd buy a standalone UAPP player in a heart beat.

I do however understand the issue with hiby being an OS and not just an app on a far more sophisticated OS which requires much more powerful internals. But if theres a community that would pay for that it's the audiophile community lol. I just want a good non android device. I don't want every device I own to be a distraction with Google baked into them.

Sorry, rant over.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #339 of 645
As a sanity check, I tried connecting my unit to PC as a USB DAC (in direct access mode, not through Linux Pipewire), and also with my DC04 Pro dongle as an external DAC (V3 as source). I'm using a pair of Sennheiser IE200 on the 3.5mm SE output.

While playing the same tracks in all test cases and volume-matching (tried my best), I couldn't tell between my V3 as a DAP and a DAC. They sound the same to me. No distortion that I could tell.

Through my DC04 Pro, the dynamics is slightly tighter, vocals less intimate, soundstage slightly more spacious. As expected from this dongle after long-time listening, and that's if I listen real hard for it. The only other difference here is the volume level used (native: 45/100 high gain; dongle: 20/100)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #340 of 645
I just got my device, and can add another huge problem to the already long list of problems: when any kind of wireless connectivity is turned on (either BT or wifi), it produces an interference that results in quite loud noises with pops and general non-stop background noise. This is very bad with a bit more sensitive IEMs, like Simgot EA500, but it is bad with less sensitive ones as well, like Letshuoer S12 Pro. And since due to the bug with folders/files not showing in an internal files browser the only way to properly use the device is with the help of HibyLink, the combination of those problems effectively makes the device almost unusable (at least for me).

I do hope that Tempotec fix at least problems with the files' browser - I don't think that interference problem is fixable: this seems like a hardware problem due to improper placement or isolation of the components.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #341 of 645
Although I thought the V3 sounded quite good I sent it back. With all the problems that have been reported here and with my issue just didn’t make sense to keep it even at $139. I was only using for Bluetooth anyway. My problem was the darn thing wouldn’t turn off. I would hold the button down and it would start shutting down with Tempotec logo and screen would turn off for 1 second and reboot itself automatically. Weird stuff so not worth it. My BTR7 is wonderful

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #343 of 645
Back to China, right?

How much of a hassle was it? Did the shipping cost justify it? What's the seller response? Will they return you the money once they receive it?

So many questions.. I've never considered sending anything back to PRC.
I will sent mine back too today (none of reported problems happen, only that the player gets a little hot after some usage and the battery drain a little fast for the announce battery time) because i was in the 14 days period (aliexpress), they accept it and sent me a shipping label to ship it for free.
The reason for me is that i just got ibasso dx260 and for something more portable i will use hiby m300 and fiio brt7 (i like to listen podcasts on the way to work or on the trips I take when I'm on vacation and m300 is better for that than v3) but my impression are still very positive about this device consider the price. Guess that i got luck with my unit.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #344 of 645

Well, my impression of the sound is that the v3 has a worse sound than through the E1DA 9038D DAC, it does not have the clarity and drive that this DAC has. Perhaps simply because v3 does not know how to reproduce the bit perfectly and greatly interferes with sound processing. To be honest, I'm disappointed with the sound.

The sound is similar as through cotton wool. I can't hear the instruments that are heard on e1da. I also doubt that there is a power of 610mW, I listen to a rather quiet Dire Straits-Six Blade Knife composition on the Sennheiser HD599 and on the e1da with its 180 mW and 3.5 jack, I turn on the sound by 95%, and on v3 by 4.4BAL by 80-85%, and where is the power difference of 3.4 times?

Hello. Thank you for the feedback.
I was also thinking to keep V3 as a transport cause I'm not very happy with the sound.
But as soon it's not bit perfect...there is no reason for that. Did you put volume of V3 to 100% while testing bit perfect?

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #345 of 645
Back to China, right?

How much of a hassle was it? Did the shipping cost justify it? What's the seller response? Will they return you the money once they receive it?

So many questions.. I've never considered sending anything back to PRC.
No there is a free returns option if you’re in the states. Gets sent to California

Users who are viewing this thread

Back