TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
Jun 6, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #346 of 385
Ps can't wait to read the review!

FYI the review is now posted, link in my signature. I ended up testing the DT 880 Pro with my TEAC as the DAC and newly acquired Schiit Valhala as the amp.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #347 of 385
  Very nice! You should definitely give foobar wasapi playback a shot, it's pretty easy to set up. I have actually tried 3 different cables on mine including some cheapos just for the hell of it, maybe I'm nuts. Keep it under 50 for sure.

Wasapi are different audio drivers right?
I have just discovered a player called Clementine and I like it. Don't know about the sound quality (seems good to me), but I find really easy to use and with a pleasant interface.

FYI the review is now posted, link in my signature. I ended up testing the DT 880 Pro with my TEAC as the DAC and newly acquired Schiit Valhala as the amp.

I am going to read right now, thank you!

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #348 of 385
  Hi All,

Anyone hook it up to Presonus Eris5 Powered Monitor studio? As Presonus Eris5 does not have volume control wonder UD-H01 able to contro l the volume or control on the laptop.

Thanks 

Hi, the UD-h01 does not have a pre-out (that is a line-out with volume control) this DAC outputs line-level only so you will control the volume with whatever software.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #349 of 385
Old thread but still active. Yay. I recently picked up a used TEAC UD H-01. Using on Win 10 machine  (MSI Z-77 M45 16GBDDR3/2.4 Core i5 Gen 4) with Asynch USB out via Foobar 2000 to NAD 3120i & external speakers or NAD HP50 phones. I noticed that the TEAC unit does not automatically detect sample rates from my FLAC library in Foobar. Then I saw a thread somewhere indicating that users must actually select the TEAC from playback devices (TEAC USB HS ASYNCH AUDIO DEVICE), enable all of the sample rates 32 - 192 ZKhz, then select the default sample rate & bit depth desired. So I just set the default sample rate at 24/192. Indicator light on UD-H01 stays at 192 regardless of what sample rate I'm sending to it thru Foobar. and I have yet to notice any issues jumping from various sample rates in playlists etc.

Just curious if this is common with Windows and what is the best approach to dealing with variable sample rates in large FLAC libraries. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #350 of 385
Originally Posted by pilsnermonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just set the default sample rate at 24/192. Indicator light on UD-H01 stays at 192 regardless of what sample rate I'm sending to it thru Foobar. and I have yet to notice any issues jumping from various sample rates in playlists etc.

Just curious if this is common with Windows and what is the best approach to dealing with variable sample rates in large FLAC libraries. 

You need to use either WASAPI or ASIO playback (output) mode in foobar where the program takes control of the audio interface for samplerate switched playback. For ASIO you can use either the asio4all driver on the current or "version2" drivers (by audio-gd). The ASIO4all driver extension may or may not work. WASAPI does not require extra drivers www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #351 of 385
  You need to use either WASAPI or ASIO playback (output) mode in foobar where the program takes control of the audio interface for samplerate switched playback. For ASIO you can use either the asio4all driver on the current or "version2" drivers (by audio-gd). The ASIO4all driver extension may or may not work. WASAPI does not require extra drivers www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

I have the same problem. I have downloaded a sample of hi res music (24/92) but the Teac remains with led indicator on 44.1.

I am using foobar, i have installed the wasapi component but nothing. The Teac doesn't notice when the sample rate change. Can you please help me? :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #352 of 385
Thanks Spookanide. I did install WASAPI and can see the component registered in Foobar but the TEAC LED does not switch between 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 etc. 

I'm not clear what the TEAC playback rates are when I play FLAC from my library. 

If I have a 24 bit FLAC with a sample rate of 96 Khz, what is the TEAC outputting? My TEAC LED says 192 Khz. Is that true via upsampling or is the FLAC actually being output by the TEAC as 24/96 per the FLAC's encoded format on disk? 

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #353 of 385
Thanks for your time & help. Finally got it figured. I had my device settings wrong in Foobar.

In Foobar file menu go to Library > Playback > Output for anyone still looking.

Select the:

WASAPI (push) : SPDIF OUT (TEAC USB HS ASYNC AUDIO DEVICE) from list of available devices. 

Everything working as expected now.

Anyway, thanks again for the push in right direction. Hope this might help others.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #355 of 385
  Andy, check my post *above* ... maybe that will help you out with the UD-H01.

Oh yes man, now it works! And I love the "click" the teac does. Thank you so much!

And thank also spookanide  of course!

Ps I have two option for the output: one is exactly the one you posted, WASAPI (push) : SPDIF OUT (TEAC USB HS ASYNC AUDIO DEVICE); but I also have WASAPI (event) : SPDIF OUT (TEAC USB HS ASYNC AUDIO DEVICE) that seems to work as well. Is there a difference between the two? 

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #356 of 385
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum, and I haven't got a clue about headphones.

I'm looking for my first "real" headphone gear since I fall in love with an Audeze LCD(2 or 3, Idon't remember)

Actually I'm using a Beyer DT990 from the '90s for monitoring recordings and other little things, not really listening to music.

So my plan is to buy a suitable headphone amp (or DAC/AMP) to get accustomed with the amp using the DT990.
With this amp I'll try some different headphones to figure out which is the best for me and my wallet. The LCD2 will be the top end of my budget.

So the amp must be able to drive both types of headphones: dynamic and planar/megnetostatics.

Has this TEAC amp enough power to handle e.g. a Audeze LCD 2?

Thanks & cheers

Thorsten

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #357 of 385
  Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum, and I haven't got a clue about headphones.

I'm looking for my first "real" headphone gear since I fall in love with an Audeze LCD(2 or 3, Idon't remember)

Actually I'm using a Beyer DT990 from the '90s for monitoring recordings and other little things, not really listening to music.

So my plan is to buy a suitable headphone amp (or DAC/AMP) to get accustomed with the amp using the DT990.
With this amp I'll try some different headphones to figure out which is the best for me and my wallet. The LCD2 will be the top end of my budget.

So the amp must be able to drive both types of headphones: dynamic and planar/megnetostatics.

Has this TEAC amp enough power to handle e.g. a Audeze LCD 2?

Thanks & cheers

Thorsten

The amp section is not really a strength of this, it's primarily a DAC. That being said it's ok for dynamic driver headphones under 250-300 Ohm. Forget about planars though. The amp gets outperformed by my $60 Chineese SMSL SAP III. This is the case with most DAC/AMPs, it's always better to get a dedicated DAC and separate AMP, usually better bang for buck too. I'm now using the TEAC with a Schiit Valhala, loads of power for my T50RP MK 3.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #358 of 385
Resurrecting this thread as i just bought this DAC.

To my ears it sounds better than my SMSL M8 so i think i will keep it.I like its bass more playing flac files from my PC

Some questions:
-After an hour of playing i heard distortion like gargling (using USB connection-wasapi event in Foobar).
Switched to wasapi push no distortion playing the same track
Switched to optical connection,no distortion in wasapi push/event playing again the same track.
I read about the drivers issues so which one should i use?Teac's official 1.1.2.2,  Audio gd 1.1.27.0a or anything else ?

-The heat coming out of the top grill is normal or not?
-Which connection do you find more stable (drivers wise)?USB or optical?
-Is the distortion just a drivers problem or maybe a hardware issue?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back