TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
Jan 11, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #332 of 385
For anyone wondering about linux support. I can confirm full support in the latest Manjaro 15.12 (Capella) 64-bit. It's auto-detected, plug-and-play support out of the box with PulseAudio. In fact, listening to the same files with Audacious sounds better than my Windows 10 rig did. I can't begin to explain why but this thing really comes alive in linux.

Maybe it's PulseAudio or Audacious sucking every bit of goodness out of this thing. One thing I noticed is it defaults to 32bit on output settings. It would only get to 24bit in Windows 10. I strongly reccomend anyone who can to test this on a linux rig and let me know if you agree. I swear I can't be hearing this!

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #334 of 385
Finally got around to doing WASAPI output, it's really nice on the TEAC drivers.  [disregard this]Can somebody confirm the driver version and signature for me?[/disregard] I tried updating to the Audiodg manually after the installation, but my windows 7 device manager reported no need to update the TEAC device. Here is a screenshot, I don't think it can update somehow: 

http://puu.sh/nqQj6/880117b4ab.png

*EDIT and answer*
So what I had to do is both click install my own driver, and then "select from list" in the second screen and click "have disk" and enter the path there. Otherwise windows 7 kept telling me that the microsoft drivers were the most recent.

My findings on the audio-gd update:
- foobar works perfectly with ASIO4all (where the TEAC drivers sounded like error crap to me)
- foobar doesn't intialize drivers with the supplied audio-gd ASIO
- the audio-gd drivers don't play nice with foobar wasapi - foobar keeps locking up in either wasapi push/event after switching tracks
- they are unstable as all hell for me in 24bit when frequently changing audio sources in windows (sometimes startles me with loud white noise when the device stops responding for a moment) - at least 2 times a day now - this didn't seem to depend on the particular samplerate I picked, more testing on 16bit will follow

Conclusion:
If you're on windows 7 x64 and  REALLY want to use ASIO get the audio-gd updated driver, otherwise stick to TEAC (and you never had other problems).

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #337 of 385
Apr 2, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #338 of 385
I know these are a bit older posts and this is a bit slower thread, but I wanted to reply anyways. :)

I
I know it does upsampling to 32bit/192khz, so should I stik to what ever format that is default or should I let my mac/pc do the upsampling?

The internal ASRC is doing a good job taking whatever input to 32/192, but I'd still lean towards a higher bitrate output, especially if you're going to be adjusting volume/etc on the PC as running in 24-bit can have advantages there wrt noise/performance. There's also an advantage if you're playing back 24-bit material - there won't be any dithering down to 16-bit. Where you may run into issues is if your PC does a particularly awful job of SRC (e.g. some older Creative cards), but with more modern hardware that's unlikely.

Hey there!
Anyone tried teac paired with any top Ultrasone phones? Will work fine with 32 Ohms?

Works quite nice with my PRO2900, and a lot of other low impedance models (e.g. Grado RS-1 and even Sony MDR-F1); with very low impedance (like the F1) it gets a bit warmer in operation, but it hasn't had any problems after a few years of working this way, so I'm assuming everything to be copacetic.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #339 of 385
Hi All,

Anyone hook it up to Presonus Eris5 Powered Monitor studio? As Presonus Eris5 does not have volume control wonder UD-H01 able to contro l the volume or control on the laptop.

Thanks 

May 11, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #340 of 385
Hi all,

I am waiting for the DAC to arrive. I have buyed it (new) for 180 euros. Think was a good deal because I can see it online only for much higher prices (usually around 400 euros, used for 250 euros). 
I live in Italy. 
This is my first DAC and also my first hi fi piece, so I am pretty excited and I am sure will be a great step up anyway (for me).

I will use it on W10. I have started using Foobar just a few days ago, so I am a "noob" with driver, plugin and all other stuff.

I will study a bit and try to get the best.

I will use it with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm, and occasionally with Superlux HD 681 EVO.

If you have any advice, will glad to read. 

Thank you.

May 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #342 of 385
  Hi all,

I am waiting for the DAC to arrive. I have buyed it (new) for 180 euros. Think was a good deal because I can see it online only for much higher prices (usually around 400 euros, used for 250 euros). 
I live in Italy. 
This is my first DAC and also my first hi fi piece, so I am pretty excited and I am sure will be a great step up anyway (for me).

I will use it on W10. I have started using Foobar just a few days ago, so I am a "noob" with driver, plugin and all other stuff.

I will study a bit and try to get the best.

I will use it with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm, and occasionally with Superlux HD 681 EVO.

If you have any advice, will glad to read. 

Thank you.

I have the same headphones. It's a really great DAC. The headphone output is clean but lacks power (40mw at 32Ohm) for bigger studio headphones like the DT 880. The TEAC can drive them fine at 12 to 1 o'clcock though. I'm going line out (RCA) to a $70 SMSL SAP III amp which outputs way more power, about 3 times as much. I only go from 9 to 10 o'clock on the SMSL and its just as clean. I do plan to move up to a higher end amp at some point, but this DAC isn't going anywhere. My dream amp is the TEAC HA-501, that would pair so perfectly with this DAC. I'm actually in the process of writing a review on this headphone with this setup. Really loving it.

May 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #343 of 385
If you get stuck hit me up, and I will be happy to try and help you configure it

Really thank you, I will for sure ask something :)

I have the same headphones. It's a really great DAC. The headphone output is clean but lacks power (40mw at 32Ohm) for bigger studio headphones like the DT 880. The TEAC can drive them fine at 12 to 1 o'clcock though. I'm going line out (RCA) to a $70 SMSL SAP III amp which outputs way more power, about 3 times as much. I only go from 9 to 10 o'clock on the SMSL and its just as clean. I do plan to move up to a higher end amp at some point, but this DAC isn't going anywhere. My dream amp is the TEAC HA-501, that would pair so perfectly with this DAC. I'm actually in the process of writing a review on this headphone with this setup. Really loving it.

It hasn't arrived today (hope for tomorrow), so don't know if I will feel the need of an external amp. I am pretty sure i won't, at least in a first period. Being this my first hi fi component, I am sure it will give me a lot of satisfaction!

Ps can't wait to read the review!

May 13, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #344 of 385

The Teac has arrived! Black is really beautiful!

I have installed the newest driver, then connected the DAC trough the usb. I have a normal cable, I am not ready to spend 50 euros on a cable, cause my ears are not trained enough to hear the difference (at least I think).

It works pretty well, having no problem with volume or sound. I am using Foobar2000 with standard configuration, cause I don't like the teac player.

And I just have found that all my flac CDs are 44.1 kHz. I haven't got nothing in superior quality -____-'. 

Be patient, I have just started :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #345 of 385
Little update. I picked up a Hifiman HE-400i to pair up with the TEAC after an extensive listening session at a dealer including the final audio closed cans, audeze sine, sennheiser HD650, HD700, HE-400s and audeze LCD-X. The last one I wasn't interested in buying, but holy hell the HE-400i are absolute bliss that come pretty close! I might want to invest in a stand-alone headphone amp at this point to make the bass come out more ever so slightly and maybe add a tad dynamics and soundstage. I'm saying that as I also tried these on the salesman's several Ifi micro DACs and one violectric HPA (not sure which one). I think the headphone amp on the TEAC is very capable and should keep you having fun with a lot of headphones (unless they are very hard to drive or weird).

Quote:
  The Teac has arrived! Black is really beautiful!

I have installed the newest driver, then connected the DAC trough the usb. I have a normal cable, I am not ready to spend 50 euros on a cable, cause my ears are not trained enough to hear the difference (at least I think).

It works pretty well, having no problem with volume or sound. I am using Foobar2000 with standard configuration, cause I don't like the teac player.

And I just have found that all my flac CDs are 44.1 kHz. I haven't got nothing in superior quality -____-'. 

Be patient, I have just started :)

Very nice! You should definitely give foobar wasapi playback a shot, it's pretty easy to set up. I have actually tried 3 different cables on mine including some cheapos just for the hell of it, maybe I'm nuts. Keep it under 50 for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back