Talk me out of The Beats By Dre.
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #91 of 102
Quote:
Dr Dre does RAP, What would any rap artist who sample other peoples music and alter it and add some unintelligible gibberish to the mix know about good SQ? Just because the person is famous for mixing rap albums doesn't make them an expert on good SQ. In fact, he probably has really bad hearing from all that drum and bass at extremely loud levels over the years. Just because someone is a musician is no qualification that they know good SQ from bad SQ either. Dr Dre is just another greedy DP.

I wonder if you listen to hiphop. I don't cept the likes of Nujabes compilations, but I still respect the artists.

Quote:
It's funny that yesterday when I tried the Beats for the first and last time, I had just left the audio place and had a newly purchased pair of SR-325i's in my vehicle...lol...and that was my thought exactly. I just spent $125 less but got something a million times better.
Quote:
Quote:
For $300, I would have gone with the SR-325is.

Awesome.

this guy got it right.

Grado and Monster are apples and oranges, but I thought the SR 325is were the worse headphones I ever wore in my life.I really did regret spending that $300. After a year of it, it was just too much. Very unexpected result seeing how I liked the SR 60s.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #92 of 102
As far as rap goes, Dr. Dre is among the best. Since you don't know that, I just wanna share that :). He has near universal respect from rap fans kinda like Eminem.

Quote:
Bastido, I think you misread my post. I said nobody was saying that Dre listens to his music wrong--which does not mean anyone here thinks he's doing it right either. It was a statement of neutrality.

Let me state for the record that I don't know if Dre is any good as a producer or an artist. I don't listen to rap and I couldn't care less whether he's great or rubbish.
Let me also state that I do know just because someone is paid to do something, it doesn't mean they're particularly competent at it. Keeping on the topic of the music industry, it's plain to see that some singers (e.g.: Ashlee Simpson, of the top of my head) can't really sing, and I wouldn't lend their words much weight when it comes to vocal technique, etc.

Quote:
Dr Dre does RAP, What would any rap artist who sample other peoples music and alter it and add some unintelligible gibberish to the mix know about good SQ? Just because the person is famous for mixing rap albums doesn't make them an expert on good SQ. In fact, he probably has really bad hearing from all that drum and bass at extremely loud levels over the years. Just because someone is a musician is no qualification that they know good SQ from bad SQ either. Dr Dre is just another greedy DP.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #95 of 102
Sorry to post into such an old topic... but did he just buy the Beats because they are "durable"? I mean, sound is mostly subjective... but durability...?

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #97 of 102

Quote:
Grado and Monster are apples and oranges, but I thought the SR 325is were the worse headphones I ever wore in my life.I really did regret spending that $300. After a year of it, it was just too much. Very unexpected result seeing how I liked the SR 60s.

As the makers of some of the most highly regarded (if now discontinued) headphones, I wouldn't say that at all about Grado. However, I do agree that they can be horrid.  The first time I tried a pair of HF-1s, admittedly paired with poor gear for them, I thought they were awful. I now use what amounts to a clone of the most famous Grados, and they are one of my favourite pairs of headphones. Through suitably high-end gear, they are totally different.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #98 of 102
sorry for reviving old thread. but I have to laugh at buyers of Monster products. Everyone knows these artists are using sony mdr-v6 or mdr-7506 in studios since the 80s.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #99 of 102
The price is ridiculous, I'll agree with that. And to anyone buying these for durability... are you kidding? They are known for being broken so easily. I also agree that using these in studios would be dumb and inaccurate. But I will say... If they were around $120-$150, I would consider buying them. I listen to hip-hop and LOVE my bass. Tried the M50, it definitely doesn't have enough bass, and the huge bass is what they're known for. To all you who don't care about bass, of course you won't like them or the sound, they're pretty much geared for a bass-lover.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #101 of 102
listen to them side by side with the HFI-580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back