Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 9, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,906 of 4,574
...A great sounding pair of headphones that may not be comfortable doesn't mean you shouldn't own them.
I agree in principle, but don't remember anyone complaining about Pro 82's comfort. Comfort is the most agreeable characteristic of Pro 82.

...There is a reason why Brainwavz sells aftermarket pads.
They sell them, because there are plenty of people who prefer comfort over sound. I own about half a dozen different Brainwavz pads, don't remember ever liking the sound after using them instead of original pads on any headphone. Comfort was always an improvement.

... Granted, the sound signature may change a little, but that doesn't mean in a bad way either.
Any headphone that sounds decent was tuned to sound so with its original pads. It is far more likely that by using pads that are made of different material and/or have different opening and/or have different height/width, the sound quality will be affected negatively.

Takstar doesn't recommend replacing or removing pads on Pro 82, they are not meant to be user-replaceable.

May 9, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,907 of 4,574
I agree in principle, but don't remember anyone complaining about Pro 82's comfort. Comfort is the most agreeable characteristic of Pro 82.

They sell them, because there are plenty of people who prefer comfort over sound. I own about half a dozen different Brainwavz pads, don't remember ever liking the sound after using them instead of original pads on any headphone. Comfort was always an improvement.

Any headphone that sounds decent was tuned to sound so with its original pads. It is far more likely that by using pads that are made of different material and/or have different opening and/or have different height/width, the sound quality will be affected negatively.

Takstar doesn't recommend replacing or removing pads on Pro 82, they are not meant to be user-replaceable.

Comfort for me is OK on these. Not the best though. I have big ears and a big head. So the earpads are a little on the small size for me. Over time when using them I develop hot spots and they also cause a bit of heat retention so my ears will sweat. It's not a huge problem, and I've seen way worse headphones for comfort. Overall they are decent, but certainly not the best.

As for the HM5 pads, and clones. I have certainly seen/heard significant improvement with pad swapping. In fact, that is the most common thing to do in order to change sound is to swap pads in hopes to improve the sound to what the listener wants to hear.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,908 of 4,574
Pro 82 seems picky for the dac/amp.
I have tried many amps to hear what this thread claims.
Gustard A20H, Fiio q1 mkii, O2, Nobsound NS-02E Vacuum (O2 and NS-02E fed by Fiio q1 mkii or D8), and Alientek D8, they are all falling short.
I finally found FX audio dac x7, which is better than any of those including 1k$ Dac/amp that is the Gustard.
The basic problem was the sound being thin except mids and tonal balance being concentrated onto upper-mids which separated the high and bass like stand-alone tones.
Tonal balance is good and highs are really wonderful that match that of TH900s (for highs).
The speed is excellent.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #1,911 of 4,574
As for the HM5 pads, and clones. I have certainly seen/heard significant improvement with pad swapping
same here. I've used hm5 pads on about 30 different headphones and usually sound does improve. Of course most of them had bad quality pads so that is not a huge surprise.

I do feel pro82's could benefit from thicker pads. There seems to consensus that soundstage is average so pushing The drivers away from ears could help. Of course there is a possibility that it could ruin the sound otherwise. I wish they had done the pad attachement differently.

May 10, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,912 of 4,574
May 10, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #1,913 of 4,574
May 10, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,914 of 4,574
Hello,

I bought some replacement cables from ali such as this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ven...3a83-4c9f-acdf-5b3084adea4a&priceBeautifyAB=0

However, the fit is incorrect on the 2.5mm side as you have to slightly pull it out for sound to appear on the left side. Also, there are only 2 instead of 3 rings on the takstar's cable. What's up with that? :triportsad:
This is the correct cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...ack-Cable-Mic-For-Bose-Quiet/32810246600.html

May 10, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,915 of 4,574
I were planning to write review for my new Msur N350 but i decided to review Pro 82 first, its just easier and faster to make because i have spend more time with it.

I did a quick comparison to N350 (this is going to be in the review). I dont remember who said that Pro 82 sounds a bit dark and i can agree with that, i have noticed the same while comparing them to my other headphones like HD 598 and N350 (both relatively bright sounding headphones).

But anyways, here it is;

Quick comparison to Msur N350

N350 is similarly priced chi-fi-headphone although price can vary a bit depending where youre looking for, Aliexpress is selling them for 50-60€, whereas Amazon.de i selling them around 140€. They are both closed backs but similarities end pretty much there.

Both have a decent build quality, N350 has more metal on it making them look more premium but they still feel a bit ”flimsy” in the hands. Pro 82 just feels more solid and durable and nothing feels like its going to break any time soon. They both have kind of ”eye of the beholder”-look, N350 looks pretty luxurious with its wooden earcups and metal parts while Pro 82 has more professional ”Sony/Audio Technica”-ripoff-design.

I prefer comfort of Pro 82 over N350 any day, N350 is more on-ear than over-ear and requires more adjusting to fit properly, Pro 82 sits more smoothly.

In terms of sounds they are far away from each other, it didnt require much A/B-testing to notice some major differences in their sound signature.

N350 has more brighter and livelier sound signature and is clearly the brightest sounding of the two, perhaps more V-shaped. Pro 82 is more neutral (at least to my ears) and doesnt sound as sparkly or shiny and has kind of ”darker” and mellower vibe in it. They bring roughly the same amounts of details but N350 is sometimes just a tiny bit more revealing in the midrange probably because of their more midrange-focused sound, Pro 82 sounds more balanced. Bass on Pro 82 (with closed bass ports) is better controlled and accurate and while N350 is probably slightly heavier in the low end it sounds a bit more splashy and sloppy in comparison and can sometimes slightly bleed to the midrange. Mids are the area where they differ the most, N350 has more forward and kind of aggressive midrange while mids in Pro 82 are more recessed and laid-back-sounding. N350 is brighter sounding but its treble dont extend as high as Pro 82, N350 can also start to sound sibilant on higher volumes. Pro 82 can sound a bit sibilant as well but its quantity is next to nothing. Soundstage and imaging goes easily to Pro 82 sounding more airier and spacious compared to narrower ”in your face”-type of sound in N350.

I dont really favor one over the other, they are both great sounding pair of headphones but i would still choose Pro 82 most of the time, maybe im just more used to its sound. If youre looking for more reference-type of headphone Pro 82 is probably better choice because it has somewhat more even and balanced sound signature, if you want more ”musical” and lively experience with better clarity then N350.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,917 of 4,574
So, 2nd batch should be better right? (Brighter drives) Is there a chance to get the first batch by mistake instead of the second one?
The second batch is less bright, so it is best for most today's music (which is not mastered too good).
TaskstarAudio for sure has only the second batch, other high-volume sellers should too.

May 10, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,918 of 4,574
I ordered in January and received the "older" version. They dont really sound that "bright" to me.

May 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,919 of 4,574
The second batch is less bright, so it is best for most today's music (which is not mastered too good).
TaskstarAudio for sure has only the second batch, other high-volume sellers should too.

Would the 2nd batch be better for people that like a little bit more bass then?

Also, does anybody have a photo of the silver model? I've seen some, but need to really decide on that.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,920 of 4,574

Users who are viewing this thread

Back