Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,876 of 4,538
Looks cool for iOS users. But being Lightning-terminated, does it mean that the cable incorporates a DAC in the connector? Or does it somehow use some sort of analog output through Lightning? (I'm not sure if this last option is even possible).

Also, I don't see the usual "MFi" (Made for iPhone) certification, so the cable might stop working after upgrades at any time. Beware.

Built-in DAC and amp, an inexpensive one I'd wager since the cable is pretty cheap ($20), good point on the lack of advertising of MFi certification, but for the price I paid, I'm not too concerned about it, but I'd be surprised if they didn't get MFi cert since NewFantasia is a well-known cheap cable company.

May 3, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #1,877 of 4,538
I'm debating getting these. The good reviews and good price have got me curious.

This would be my first purchase off aliexpress though and I get the sense from this thread there is a fair bit of variation in wait time. Does anyone have experience using the DHL option? Is it true to its stated dates? I have a long flight in 30 days, and would love to have these for it.

May 4, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #1,878 of 4,538
I'm debating getting these. The good reviews and good price have got me curious.

This would be my first purchase off aliexpress though and I get the sense from this thread there is a fair bit of variation in wait time. Does anyone have experience using the DHL option? Is it true to its stated dates? I have a long flight in 30 days, and would love to have these for it.
DHL usually delivers in 4-5 days worldwide.
TakstarAudio usually ships out within 24-48 hours, so you should get it in a week or less.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,879 of 4,538
May 4, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,880 of 4,538
How loud do you listen to pro82? I noticed that pro82's sound vastly better when played loud. Problem is that I listen loud always. So I'm normally listening with volume that is about 95% of what would become uncomfortable. With takstars when I go to 105% they start to shine. Of course I can't listen to them like that.

I have The weirdest hearing. As a teenager I had huge floorstanders I blasted out loud. Later I've worked as a demolotion man and in other Jobs with very loud noices. I just had my hearing checked last week and to my surprise I have excellent hearing.

I'm just so accustomed to loud noices/music. Just The way I listen. With pro82 I have to go way over the comfortable level of any human with normal hearing so I can't enjoy these fully.

Anyone else had experience that quiet listening with pro82 sounds disappointing?

May 4, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,881 of 4,538
Loud always ‘sounds’ better because of the way our hearing works. The bass in particular drops away at lower volumes but raising the volume can also raise distortion and basically, it’s really not good for your hearing.

I have ‘trained’ myself to listen at low volumes and have adjusted to it.

You won’t immediately hear any damage to your hearing unless it’s deafening, but further down the line, you will most likely start to become aware of noises in your ears as a result of irreparable damage.

In fact, try it now. Sit in a quiet room and listen for hisses, pitches, buzzes in your ears. Once you notice it, you will find it difficult to tune out.

May 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,882 of 4,538
I'm well aware how it works. That is why I find it strange pro82's are The first headphones that need the high volume to sound good. I've had headphones that are More suitable to low volume listening and others that benefit from added volume.

These are the first that go from bad/mediocre to excellent and only with extreme volume. @Ben F do you always measure headphones at same volume? Maybe there would be a difference If measured at different volumes?

Obvious explanation would Be that I can't hear higher frequencies etc and adding volume would fill the Gap I'm not hearing with moderate volume. Does not explain why pro82's are the only headphones I have this issue with.

May 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,883 of 4,538
The way that it works is our hearing works differently to measurements.

FR of the headphone remains constant at all volumes, but our hearing doesn’t. ; )

Funnily enough, I find the mids of the Pro 82 slightly lower than my AT MSR7 and in order to get a better feeling of ‘presence’ you may be turning up the volume to compensate. The bonus is you get more bass.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,884 of 4,538
How loud do you listen to pro82? I noticed that pro82's sound vastly better when played loud. Problem is that I listen loud always. So I'm normally listening with volume that is about 95% of what would become uncomfortable. With takstars when I go to 105% they start to shine. Of course I can't listen to them like that.

I have The weirdest hearing. As a teenager I had huge floorstanders I blasted out loud. Later I've worked as a demolotion man and in other Jobs with very loud noices. I just had my hearing checked last week and to my surprise I have excellent hearing.

I'm just so accustomed to loud noices/music. Just The way I listen. With pro82 I have to go way over the comfortable level of any human with normal hearing so I can't enjoy these fully.

Anyone else had experience that quiet listening with pro82 sounds disappointing?

If i listen my Pro 82 too loudly listening fatigue strikes very fast. I dont find them sounding much different at louder volumes. Maybe slightly recessed mids dont sound then as recessed making them sound "better", i dont know.

May 4, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,885 of 4,538

I always listen to my headphones at relatively low volumes. If I listen to music for too long, I take a 10-15 minute break, come back and try to listen on the same volume - it's almost always sounds too loud after a long session, so I lower it.
This trick helps me stick to low volume listening.

I guess you do have "the weirdest hearing".

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,886 of 4,538
...These are the first that go from bad/mediocre to excellent and only with extreme volume. @Ben F do you always measure headphones at same volume? Maybe there would be a difference If measured at different volumes?

All the measurements are done after calibrating the mic at 84dB at 1000Hz.

May 5, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,887 of 4,538
Microphones hear no difference in volumes. FR remains constant. If you measure at 74 and then at or, the graph should be the same to something is wrong.

The resulting graph graph is then altered with a compensation curve in order to mimic our hearing in the way that the graph looks.

Microphones don’t work the same way as ears.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,888 of 4,538
Microphones hear no difference in volumes
I know. I am familiar with the phenomenon how loud music tricks our ears making bass&highs appear boosted vs low level listening. With the case of pro82 this effect seems bigger than with other headphones.

That is why I started wondering if it is possible that driver behaves differently at loud volumes instead it all being just a Fletcher Munson curve heard in in action.

I guess it is unlikely but can it be ruled out that increased driver excursion at loud volumes could not affect the actual frequency response? It is afterall one driver doing everything.

Of course the the most obvious explanation is that with loud volume I get the small bass boost I prefer + more highs to get rid of the darkish tone I perceive at lower volumes.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,889 of 4,538
As I said earlier, it could be something like this ....

Funnily enough, I find the mids of the Pro 82 slightly lower than my AT MSR7 and in order to get a better feeling of ‘presence’ you may be turning up the volume to compensate. The bonus is you get more bass.

Someone earlier asked what volume BenF was measuring at though and it makes no difference.

I prefer around 3 or so dB higher than ‘flat’ in the bass too but that might be because I keep the volume down.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,890 of 4,538
I asked about the measurement volume. Of course it would make a difference IF driver behaves strange at loud volumes and if it did it propably would not sound better anyway...

So yeah... Guess it is just me "eq'n" with louder volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back