Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Nov 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #706 of 1,250
Don't measure to much.... I like to listen to them :).

Yesterday I did make a comparison between:
1. Takstar on the Litte Dot MK2 OTL tube amp;
2. Stax Stax SR-L300 with the bias + amp box;

Stax is very clean and amazing polishing sound. You hear 'everything'. But yeah... is it pleasant in comparison with a planar? I like the Takstar planar on the LD MK2 much more then the 'boring & neutral' sound of the Stax. Electrostatic headspeakers is not my thing. But for normal speakers in my living room I like Electrostatics a lot. I do rebuild also Electrostatics during my weekends, and do change sometimes between full range esl's en hybrids.

Well ok.. But for the Takstar it's a very nice unit during the winter days!

They seem to measure very close but there is quite big difference in the sound. Sheepskins cleaner and punchier bass but treble is more agressive. Micro suede has better midrange and treble. Micro suede comfort is very good and for longer periods so much better. Sheepskin looks better and has better durability and easier to clean. I heared that sheepskin midrange was a bit too distant. Need to do more listening. I recommend to buy both and see and hear urself. They fit perfectly.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/gel-oval-micro-suede-earpads

Frequency response

With micro suede gel

With sheepskins

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #707 of 1,250
@Restatic I did do listening sessions first before measurings. I'm not native english speaker so it take my tame to write something understandable. I hate this feeling I kinda like the sheepskin bass but then again suede pad is doing better on upper frequencies. I wish I had both the qualities. I may do some mod to sheepkin pads but not anything permanent. I don't get it why its so sharpy on the treble but otherwise it sound sweet.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #708 of 1,250
I have started to like sheepskin pads even more. They sound now very good when u get used to it. They sounded at first glance quite harsh on treble but somehow it melted down when been using couple more days. Here is some pics of the Brainwavz Sheepskins. I'm gonna which to micro suede gel again when I feel it. At the black friday u can get these headphones very cheap and then u have more money to get better cushions. Stock pads are quite bad and I don't recommend them because they are too thin.

IMG_20191124_171533.jpg IMG_20191124_171610.jpg IMG_20191127_180436.jpg IMG_20191127_180457.jpg

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #709 of 1,250
Possible to mod the fixed cable with a plug-in type? The default cable is long and heavy.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #710 of 1,250
I have started to like sheepskin pads even more. They sound now very good when u get used to it. They sounded at first glance quite harsh on treble but somehow it melted down when been using couple more days. Here is some pics of the Brainwavz Sheepskins. I'm gonna which to micro suede gel again when I feel it. At the black friday u can get these headphones very cheap and then u have more money to get better cushions. Stock pads are quite bad and I don't recommend them because they are too thin.

Did you mod your cable connection? Looks like a plug-in type.

Nov 29, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #714 of 1,250
Is the mod difficult to perform?
I tried to make a video showing the cable mod. This is my first "how to" video so it's not that great, but it will give you an idea of how to do it. and It's only 4 minutes long.

I tried to remove the back grills because I think it is hurting the sound, but the back grill is glued with a plastic ring that is also used for the screw holes. So, I have not found a way (other than cutting them out) to cleanly replace the grills with something finer and more open.

The connectors I used are from amazon, and fit very well with only a little bit of filing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DSIXPQQ/ref=twister_B07C7S5ZMQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #715 of 1,250
Possible to mod the fixed cable with a plug-in type? The default cable is long and heavy.

I did use velcro fastener to keep it acceptable on length. Don't cut the cable! It's useless (I think). Just roll it together and use velcro, or something else.

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #716 of 1,250
Nov 29, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #717 of 1,250
Q's:
1. Did it improve the sound?
2. How about the quality?
3. What's the reason why you did this?

1. Sound improve? No... It sounds the same. The wire inside the can is 28 gage (i think), very thin. I might upgrade to 24 gage later but I don't think it will improve much.
2. Quality? I think it is good. I will add a drop of glue to the connector plugs to keep them from becoming loose in the future.
3. The reason? I like to try things out. Plus it will be easier to swap cables like a cloth covered 3.5mm or XLR later.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #718 of 1,250
I tried to make a video showing the cable mod. This is my first "how to" video so it's not that great, but it will give you an idea of how to do it. and It's only 4 minutes long.

I tried to remove the back grills because I think it is hurting the sound, but the back grill is glued with a plastic ring that is also used for the screw holes. So, I have not found a way (other than cutting them out) to cleanly replace the grills with something finer and more open.

The connectors I used are from amazon, and fit very well with only a little bit of filing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DSIXPQQ/ref=twister_B07C7S5ZMQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cool. That is easy way without power tools. I just sanded with dremel some of the plastic parts away. You need to file the socket plug. Without filing it leaves a bit cap between to the driver and housing.

1. Sound improve? No... It sounds the same. The wire inside the can is 28 gage (i think), very thin. I might upgrade to 24 gage later but I don't think it will improve much.
2. Quality? I think it is good. I will add a drop of glue to the connector plugs to keep them from becoming loose in the future.
3. The reason? I like to try things out. Plus it will be easier to swap cables like a cloth covered 3.5mm or XLR later.
If you thinkin that silver cable. Then you need four wires of each metres. It's worth it. Its damn good looking and thin. It just ofc copper with silver coating and thin plastic insulation.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #719 of 1,250
I did my first avg pink noise measurement. Treble seems more flat than expected and a bit more roll of on low bass.
avg measurement.jpg

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #720 of 1,250
I did put my sheepskin earpad around the headphone enclosure. I did put pvc-tape around the skin and put it directly on the enclosure. Now the earpad ring is not used anymore. So no sound leakage anymore. Bass is more tight and faster. Overal improvement is quite a lot!

I did compare it with:
1. Stax L300
2. Fostex T50RP mk3
3. Fostex T60
4. Bosshifi B8
5. Superlux XXX (don't know the type)

Well.... what to say? Yeah... I miss an Audeze LCD-xc in the list :wink:. But I think my Takstar is getting close to the Audeze LCD-x now.

DIY improvement is very easy when you use your brains :). And I did mod a lot on the Fostex'ses. So I knew what I was doin. Well... most easy mod is getting good sheepskin earpads. So get them, and put them directly on the enclosure with pvc tape :).

Be happy!

earpads: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000322381714.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2cba4c4dPJrQIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back