1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by heavyharmonies, Apr 12, 2019.
First

Back
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
50 51
Next

Last
  1. Restatic
    I did put my sheepskin earpad around the headphone enclosure. I did put pvc-tape around the skin and put it directly on the enclosure. Now the earpad ring is not used anymore. So no sound leakage anymore. Bass is more tight and faster. Overal improvement is quite a lot!

I did compare it with:
    1. Stax L300
    2. Fostex T50RP mk3
    3. Fostex T60
    4. Bosshifi B8
    5. Superlux XXX (don't know the type)

Well.... what to say? Yeah... I miss an Audeze LCD-xc in the list :wink:. But I think my Takstar is getting close to the Audeze LCD-x now.

DIY improvement is very easy when you use your brains :). And I did mod a lot on the Fostex'ses. So I knew what I was doin. Well... most easy mod is getting good sheepskin earpads. So get them, and put them directly on the enclosure with pvc tape :).

Be happy!

earpads: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000322381714.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2cba4c4dPJrQIN

Jumbotron likes this.
  2. yawg
    I have the B8 and the SIVGA version and like them a lot. Any mods you did to them? How do you compare them to the Takstar?

My main speakers are the big Maggies which I customized and love. They are magnetostats like the Takstar but need lots of clean power to really sing. I understand that the Takstars are happy with a few hundred mW. Would my FiiO E7 be good enough? I like it's DAC.

Thank you all for your input.

Restatic likes this.
  3. Miiksu
    How about the midrange and treble? Did u do any mods to the HP itself?

Restatic likes this.
  4. RenZixx
    What's the cheapest portable amp that can drive these?

5. Miiksu
    You mean blueooth dongle audio receiver? I have this tiny 3€ audio receiver that has suprising good audio quality. Frequency response is good. Something like 20Hz-20kHz. Range is decent. Up to 10 metres if there is some obstacles. Some of the bluetooth dongles does not go well on bass side I can't find this anymore on ebay but if you find this from ebay. It's probably the same and audio quality is good. But its way too small so battery life is not good. Best option is buy many different kinds and report of your findings if its good. They are all mostly less than 10€.
    IMG_20191201_143040.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Restatic likes this.
  6. RenZixx
    Wait so that small lil thing can drive the hf 580s?

7. Miiksu
    Yup. I have done some mods to my HF580. Lower volume but still enough to enjoy of the music if u even use weak receiver like this :)

8. RenZixx
    Ooo so will something like the topping nx1 drive these with a lil headroom?

9. Miiksu
    Definitely.

10. RenZixx
    Well getting them then :). Oh and since I'm modding them to be closed (with a wood piece pressed to the back) what pads and mods do you recommend for a smoother and warmer sound.

11. Miiksu
    That is difficult question.Very first I used basic foam pads that made the treble and midrange more or less lower. My choice is to get comfortable memory foam pads that will fit perfectly. If u want to change the sound then u have to mod these. Back modding make the sound more flat and "warmer" to neutral side. Front filters lowers treble too. I have some fabric, mesh and cloth at the front. Also fabric pads seems to take some harshness away from the treble. Genuine leather and protein leather has bigger harshness on the treble and good control on lower frequencies.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 1:51 AM
  12. Miiksu
    I think I nailed hot treble. I added 2x18mm thick high density foam inside around the pads. But it's not super comfort, my ears touching the foam. It sound very good. Treble is now tamed and balanced.

Brainwavz sheepskin mod.png

13. RenZixx
    Is it possible to fit mmcx connectors on these? Because I cannot find any reliable sources for 2.5mm female jacks.

14. RenZixx
    Oh and I found this damper that might kill some treble.
    Rs. 197.97 46%OFF | 1pcs Car Noise Heat Insulation Sound-Proof Dampening Deadener Pad Mat 50*80cm 5mm Anti-noise Sound Insulation Cotton Accessories
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/LtwRUzJi

15. Miiksu
    There is room for max 8mm connector. Probably fit.

Where u thinking to add it? On my mods I used 3mm thick quality high density foam and made walls of it to the driver grill. Then added some multilayer dampering.

First

Back
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
50 51
Next

Last