TakeT BPP Portable Supertweeter and H2+ Headphone - Head-Fi TV, Episode 010
Aug 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #62 of 79
"Head-Fi TV, Episode 11: Fostex BP-P1 "

I can see it on youtube, but can not watch it yet.
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #63 of 79
I listen daily to a pair of the original groupbuy Takets driven direct from a BHSE. I really like the detailed tacile sound. There is some minor bass resonance(something do with the square ear-pad shape - some damping foam in corners help).

Thanks Duggeh for the tip on Sennheiser replacement frame - the plastic frame leaves a lot to be desired, and are now crumbling.Any other tweaks?

Jude: I'm thinking of buying Stax SR-009s. How do they compare? What the differences?

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #64 of 79
Watching that I kept wondering about whether the effect came from the special type of driver or the unorthodox "free soundfield" float design. I think you'd get the same effect with a regular dynamic with a large diaphragm.

Otherwise, I don't see quite what's so sensational about the 'phones: they have an awful industrial design that even foam testing dummies would refuse to wear, the frequency response is uneven and has a narrow sweet spot, and the price is ridiculous for drivers that are nothing more than pleated plastic sheets.

The supertweeter face-palm test reminded me of

--

As an alternative product, for less than fifty dollars you can buy a dog whistle and have someone blow it in your face while you're listening to music. See if you get the extra resolution or whatnot.

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:
As an alternative product, for less than fifty dollars you can buy a dog whistle and have someone blow it in your face while you're listening to music. See if you get the extra resolution or whatnot.

Yes, but you have to take into account the long-term cost of owning a whistle blower. Pets are a big responsibility. You would have to feed him, clean up after him, give him plenty of attention and maybe even take him for walks. And if he can't blow the whistle for the duration of the song, he might mess up the music.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #69 of 79
The BPP super-tweeter cannot work, even in theory. Human hearing is a delicate instrument that positions the sounds according to how it enters the inner ear but also according to frequency of the sound. Lower frequency sounds have longer oscillating periods and this is the reason why we cannot always tell from where the sound is coming from. This is also the reason why usual placement of a subwoofer in a room makes little or no difference (generally speaking of course, there are always exceptions). On the other hand, high frequencies have shorter oscillating periods and it is quite easy to determine where the sound is coming from. This is also the reason why the usual placement of speakers should be so that the tweeter is in line with your ears (again, there are exceptions). In other words, unless this super-tweeter (20kHz or above) is directed to your inner ear, you will not hear anything. As for it being directed to "the area around your head" is just silly. The bone structure in our face cannot sense these kind of frequencies and it takes a large moving mass (say a diaphragm) below some 30Hz to do that and even then the results would be inconclusive because there are parts of the body that are much softer than the human skull so it would be difficult to determine which part of the body is responsible. Don't waste your money.

I am actually quite surprised that any serious company would be selling "hot water" to headphone enthusiasts. Though 50 bucks wouldn't kill you, there are better ways to spend that money. If you feel you have an extra 50 bucks, donate to charity. It will certainly do a far greater good than this.

On the headphones... It is of interest why they chose to add an additional power transformer behind before the headphones. This could mean that the headphones drivers have a substantially lower impedance or it might be that the impedance is unstable so that the amplifier would need to have a lower output impedance. Does anyone know the specifications for those headphones?

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #70 of 79

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to whole-heartedly thank Jude for his review of this esoteric line of products. I was really entertained watching it. On a related note, I plan on buying an H2+ and TR2 setup from Mr. Takei in the coming weeks. I've had my heart set on it for some time.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #71 of 79
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to whole-heartedly thank Jude for his review of this esoteric line of products. I was really entertained watching it. On a related note, I plan on buying an H2+ and TR2 setup from Mr. Takei in the coming weeks. I've had my heart set on it for some time.
     Dear Muppetface : what is the price and what parts should I consider to use with the DIY T2?

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #74 of 79
Super-tweeter. WOW! This must be the break through I've been looking for. Hearing stuff above 20 kHz through the skin of your face. I just got to have it, and just $49! It almost sounds too good to be true. Seriously, how can you keep a straight face taking about what must be a complete hoax from beginning to end, and it wasn't even published April 1?! Putting your hands in front of your face, especially while covering the ears with your thumbs as you do in the video, and it won't change what you hear? C'mon! I was literally LOL, so I enjoyed myself anyway. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #75 of 79

Watching that I kept wondering about whether the effect came from the special type of driver or the unorthodox "free soundfield" float design. I think you'd get the same effect with a regular dynamic with a large diaphragm.

Otherwise, I don't see quite what's so sensational about the 'phones: they have an awful industrial design that even foam testing dummies would refuse to wear, the frequency response is uneven and has a narrow sweet spot, and the price is ridiculous for drivers that are nothing more than pleated plastic sheets.

The supertweeter face-palm test reminded me of

--

Spot on! LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back