T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,066 of 1,834
Also I've asked a few times but anyone had luck loading the SP3000 with other APKs like UAPP or PowerAmp.

Forget it. Astell & Kern use a closed implementation of android based on whitelisting an extremely limited set of android applications that only include apps like Tidal and Qobuz.

All others such as UAPP, Poweramp, Spotify, bandcamp, Neutron etc etc are excluded.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #1,067 of 1,834
Forget it. Astell & Kern use a closed implementation of android based on whitelisting an extremely limited set of android applications that only include apps like Tidal and Qobuz.

All others such as UAPP, Poweramp, Spotify, bandcamp, Neutron etc etc are excluded.
Thanks.

This is the only downfall I see of the SP3000 so far.

Next question, does anyone have any advice on the best settings to get the most out of the SP3000.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #1,068 of 1,834
Thanks.

This is the only downfall I see of the SP3000 so far.

Next question, does anyone have any advice on the best settings to get the most out of the SP3000.
Very accomplished portable player nonetheless.

(However I ended up getting the Hiby RS8 because of these limitations)

Only advice I can give is that you purchase a balanced cable as th ST scale incredibly well.

Get a balanced Audiophile Ninja cable, or better yet, a Forza Audioworks Claire HPC Mk2, that has even less microphonics. (Make sure to send them my wiring diagram)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_102757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_102757_Gallery.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,069 of 1,834
Very accomplished portable player nonetheless.

(However I ended up getting the Hiby RS8 because of these limitations)

Only advice I can give is that you purchase a balanced cable as th ST scale incredibly well.

Get a balanced Audiophile Ninja cable, or better yet, a Forza Audioworks Claire HPC Mk2, that has even less microphonics. (Make sure to send them my wiring diagram)
Thanks for the reminder, I was already considering getting one custom made from www.lavricables.com.

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,070 of 1,834
In short, the M17 was already pushing the boundaries of what the Solitaire T can do in fully balanced mode. This is via the M17's DC input mode when using the included linear switching PSU.

if you mean the standard PSU comes with M17, it's a switching power supply. fiio separately sells a linear power supply PL50 for ~us$140. I haven't try but many feedback that a linear power supply generally brings improvement in sound quality over switching ones by removing switching noise at high frequency (and many reported yet more sonic improvement using better quality linear power supplies). and PL50's price seems quite reasonable, at least more so than audiophile cables :stuck_out_tongue:. btw, it seems to me that using external battery bank like yours theoretically should be a even better choice!

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,071 of 1,834
if you mean the standard PSU comes with M17, it's a switching power supply. fiio separately sells a linear power supply PL50 for ~us$140. I haven't try but many feedback that a linear power supply generally brings improvement in sound quality over switching ones by removing switching noise at high frequency (and many reported yet more sonic improvement using better quality linear power supplies). and PL50's price seems quite reasonable, at least more so than audiophile cables :stuck_out_tongue:. btw, it seems to me that using external battery bank like yours theoretically should be a even better choice!
Yes, was very aware of the FiiO PL50, which only became in stock today by the, so far, only UK distributor, Advanced Players Ltd (AMP3).

I posted about my question of which power supply to choose for the FiiO M17 in said named thread here, which discussed a choice between:
  • FiiO PL50 (12v or 15v selectable)
  • iFi Audio iPower Elite (12v version. Each voltage is a separate purchase)
  • Shargeek Storm2 (changeable voltage upto 24v; 100W output max)

Later, I posted follow-up posts here (regarding potential issues with the PL50), here (my reasoning for the Storm2), and here (my decision and purchase of Storm2). I made further posts thereafter too.

In the end, though either the FiiO PL50 or the iFi iPower Elite would work, the versatility of the battery power bank went beyond just for the FiiO M17, and can be used with other devices, including my ultra portable laptop, which requires a 100W power brick anyway (so the Storm2 is sufficient for it!).
More so, the FiiO M17 is technically portable/transportable, so the Storm2 was a better choice.

Yet the biggest reason is also the biggest advantage for me; less accessories.
You see, if I had gone for a proper power supply, I would have considered a low-noise power strip, new power cord for the supply, and maybe a better built DC to DC cable. Just to reduce any noise from my home' wall outlet.
Battery eliminates most of this!

However, that point you made of switching noise is exactly what I think I have experienced since getting the Storm2.
The included power supply for the FiiO M17 introduced noise, which I was unaware of until I used the Storm2, as it lowered the noise floor further.
Now I cannot use the original M17 power supply as the Solitaire T is so responsive and clear that that it sounds better via the battery supply, and that's how I'll continue to use the M17 with the cans 😊

The Shargeek Storm2 is expensive and technically overkill, but it also looks incredible (cyberpunk aesthetic) and deeply functional, adjustable, and flexible.
If you have the cash, battery all the way!

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,072 of 1,834
This may seem like a dumb question at face value but I don’t know if anyone else has noticed this.

The headphones perform substantially better wired and DAC mode than BT. I have been using iPhone (AAC) and AK CA1000 (adaptive Apt) as BT sources.

My issue is how substantial the difference is to the point I like them wired/DAC mode but bordering on disliking wireless mode. They are substantially warmer in usb c DAC mode than BT mode and slightly warmer in usb C DAC mode than analogue wired.

Certainly the source has something to do with it. Tried it analogue from the AC1000, Bartok and EF1000 with similar outcome. I always notice a difference and prefer it usb C DAC mode.

Don’t have any other source to test on, wondering it the BT could be damaged.

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,073 of 1,834
I want giving update of the BTD 600. This is a very interesting update, at least for MacBook Pros (MBP). I'm sorry but I don't owning a Windows laptop/computer so I'm not sure if the same thing is happening there. So, this post is for the people that maybe thinking about buying the BTD 600 for using with a MBP and/or recent iPad models.

I sometimes listening to music at low volumes, specially when I'm working or sometimes very late at night. I saying yesterday that the BTD 600 is giving significantly more maximum volume than if I only connecting my ST to my MBP. For me this can becoming a problem sometimes because, with only 16 volume steps in Apple devices, things can becoming very loud or very quiet with only one volume step difference.

So, my discovery is this. If I only use the volume directly from the MBP, loud mastered albums can sounding very loud or very quiet with only one volume step difference. BUT, if I use the ST for controlling the volume and not my MBP, I have several more steps for finding exactly the volume I want, specially in the more low volumes of the volume range. Why is this different in my MBP from my ST specifically with this dongle, I don't know, but is VERY good news for me because I'm very sensitive to small volume changes, specially in mid and low volumes.

One more, and maybe last, update about the BTD 600.

I think is very probably that I will returning this dongle to Amazon because the volume steps are too strong for me (similar like Bathys problem), meaning that one step up or down in the volume is making a big difference in the sound. This is VERY problematic for me specially, BUT NOT only, with more modern loud masters where I'm normally listening at 25% (or even less!) volume with this dongle, and one step up or down is making a big difference, at least in Apple devices. Is only when going in very low volumes that this dongle is very nice, but not in rest of the volume range, unfortunately.

I'm now 99,9% I prefer very much the volume steps I having before with the ST connecting directly with my MBP. Here, at least, I controlling very more better the volume I want, and even when in very few albums I want little more max volume (few old not remastered albums), this is very rare, and I'm 98% of the time completely happy with this option.

BUT, for the people that want more max volume in BT mode from their ST --or want becoming deaf quickly!-- the BTD 600 with the ST is the answer for you.

I'm happy too that the BTD 600 isn't giving better sound quality, in my opinion, with the sources I'm using, so that returning this dongle will not be difficult decision.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,074 of 1,834
Barely used unit still up for sale!

Happy weekend!

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,075 of 1,834
Hello, just a quick note. Thanks for whoever recommended the Audiophile Ninja cable earlier in the thread for Solitaire T. Mine’s unbalanced, 1.5m length, 3.5mm connection and wonderfully non-microphonic. I also own Beoplay H95 / ML 5909 and enjoy each in their own way. The T provides more clarity and with max ANC some decent bass. The stock cable is functional but with the Audiophile Ninja experiencing a fuller, richer sound, including bass. Using with Fiio M17. Very pleased for a relatively small outlay, cable 60 bucks. Cheers

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,076 of 1,834
Hello, just a quick note. Thanks for whoever recommended the Audiophile Ninja cable earlier in the thread for Solitaire T. Mine’s unbalanced, 1.5m length, 3.5mm connection and wonderfully non-microphonic. I also own Beoplay H95 / ML 5909 and enjoy each in their own way. The T provides more clarity and with max ANC some decent bass. The stock cable is functional but with the Audiophile Ninja experiencing a fuller, richer sound, including bass. Using with Fiio M17. Very pleased for a relatively small outlay, cable 60 bucks. Cheers

My pleasure 😉

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,077 of 1,834
My pleasure 😉

I find the kevlar/nylon coatings too mechanically noisy when they rub against things. Finding the ideal cable is a nightmare. If only Dunu made headphone cables like their 2s IEM cable (80 bucks and by far my favorite cable)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #1,079 of 1,834
I find the kevlar/nylon coatings too mechanically noisy when they rub against things. Finding the ideal cable is a nightmare. If only Dunu made headphone cables like their 2s IEM cable (80 bucks and by far my favorite cable)

Just about to order a custom Claire Hybrid from Forza Audioworks. According to Mateusz that cable should have less microphonics and be more flexible.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,080 of 1,834
Just about to order a custom Claire Hybrid from Forza Audioworks. According to Mateusz that cable should have less microphonics and be more flexible.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's cool!

How much, and is the cable option live on their website?
If not, can you please provide specific cable details in case any of us wish to place an order?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back