T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,081 of 1,834
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's cool!

How much, and is the cable option live on their website?
If not, can you please provide specific cable details in case any of us wish to place an order?

Thank you!
I am at a very early stage with FAW so far, but I know the cable would be 185 euros Inc VAT ex shipping

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,082 of 1,834
I am at a very early stage with FAW so far, but I know the cable would be 185 euros Inc VAT ex shipping
I also considered their Noir series, but still haven't decided all my options.

Atlas Zeno 1.1 is still on my list too, though expensive.
I'm also considering to go all out and contact Double Helix Cables for a Molecule Elite balanced cable as well, though that's just to have another option for consideration.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,083 of 1,834
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #1,084 of 1,834
I just read that review, and one thing that puzzles me is that reviews like these imply ANC is worse on ST than on ML 5909, while many of you in this thread seem to indicate the opposite.
I can't comment fully on the ANC between the two, as I didn't really demo the ANC on the 5909 much when I did listening tests with them last year.

However, both cans have lower number of dedicated ANC mics than many other competing ANC cans, with Sony and Apple having the largest number for their ToTL wireless headphones.
(Solitaire T, for example, has two ANC mics only. Song's WH-1000XM5 has eight ANC mics!).

The real question that I think some reviewers may miss talking about is the inclusion of both ANC performance and ANC sound quality; some reviews only speak on one of these (performance) instead of both factors.
ML 5909 and Solitaire T are not the greatest but are decent to good ANC performers. However, but both are superior in ANC sound quality over other wireless headphones. Solitaire T has ANC SQ that closely matches the voicing of its other modes, which I do not believe the 5909 can quite match (nor any other wireless cans at this point in time), making the Solitaire T unique.

However, that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Those who have experienced both cans (especially owned both) can perhaps provide further insight 😊

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #1,085 of 1,834
Am sad 😢

Took my FiiO M17, Shargeek Storm2, T+A Solitaire T, laptop, mouse, and associated cables, for long work commute over train and external location office work.

However, forgot to pack the balanced cable for the Solitaire T 😭

However, running the M17 in AptX HD mode into my Solitaire T is still excellent, and I have access to offline music, or stream if necessary. At the moment I'm using ANC for the train commute, and will use Bluetooth HQ for office later (or ANC again if this out of town office is loud).

Something interesting I noted; I needed to max the volume of my Solitaire T first, then control the overall volume via M17. Originally I was thinking, why is it so quiet? However, once I set the Solitaire T to unity gain (thus has no influence on volume via Bluetooth), I could then have the M17 can be the source of volume control, with sufficient drive for the cans.
I didn't have this experience with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, so I'll look into this further to see if I can do similar via my phone.

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,086 of 1,834
I just read that review, and one thing that puzzles me is that reviews like these imply ANC is worse on ST than on ML 5909, while many of you in this thread seem to indicate the opposite.
It depends on the ANC use. I can confirm the ST is excellent for flying. Nearly as quiet as the AirPods Pro 2. The 5909 were not good. They shifted all the low rumbling to a higher almost hiss.

However, if other scenarios like on busy streets, or a loud office, the 5909 could win. YMMV

Regardless, both are inferior to Sony only when comparing ANC. I’d willingly sacrifice the over aggressive Sony ANC for the ST tone and timbre.

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,087 of 1,834

Here is what I know:

1. So many reviews are mediocre and lazy and the person writing often quickly, where reviewers aren't testing correctly (or at all!) or with sufficient time for some (important) aspects -- even in sound quality tests that are so important (HQ mode or balanced mode, or 3.5mm mode, for example, being ignored sometimes) aren't often so reliable and sometimes are even contradictory. Often this types of reviews using cutting and pasting 'technique' or using pompous audio language for seeming knowledgeable but saying nothing really useful and often just saying X headphone is fantastic / great / best because is the more expensive product.

2. For comparing more reliably ANC you needing the 2 (or more) headphones that you are comparing at the same time and in same testing conditions, and this isn't always possible and is can be very tedious work.

3. I directly comparing the 5909 and ST at same time in my house with a) very loud fan, b) loud cafe noise (from youtube video and using speakers with realistic volume) and c) airplane cabin noise (from youtube video and using speakers with realistic volume). My results in this tests are that the ANC is very similar or the ST a little better (can't remember exactly now exact differences, but is in one or two posts in this thread).

4. I using the 5909 in two Ryanair flights, with same emergency exit window seats (I always booking in advance and paying extra because I'm tall and have long legs and this seats having extra space between seats in front and back), and then testing the ST after some months in same two Ryanair flights and same seats. And the results are very different, in favour of ST. The 5909 ANC is mediocre, and the ST is, for my surprise, not only very good, but when comparing directly with the excellent AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (APP2) in the same flights, the ST is coming very close in ANC performance to APP2. So surprising is this result that I deciding not using the APP2 and only staying with the ST for duration of both flights. Even in the return flight I comparing again for being doubly 100% sure and is the same result.

5. I never testing this 2 headphones in a real train, underground train, bus or loud cafe. BUT, for my necessities, my airplane tests is the more important, and in this real life tests the ST is very good / excellent.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,088 of 1,834
Short review /"report" of ST from German forum HIFI-FORUM.DE: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-211-1156.html#1

Here is the English translation:

Short report T+A Solitaire T (optionally Bluetooth or symmetrically wired)

Externally
+++ excellent workmanship
+++ first-class haptics
+++ perfect mechanics
++ very good fit (for relatively small ears) with relatively high contact pressure (not unpleasant for me, I'm a bit difficult...)
++ very good app
++ very good "mechanical" sound insulation (even without ANC, even loud noises only penetrate very insulated
++ outside is (almost) nothing audible
++ very good storage case with extra compartment for the cables (KH is easily foldable)
++ almost three meters long symmetrical cable (4.4 mm Pentaconn) included
++ the active BT codec is displayed in color
+- must sit optimally for the best sound
- missing "TrageSensor"
- Ear cups relatively small (for me they just fit over the ears, but it's a bit uncomfortable)
- the ears get warm
- App only works with current Android versions

Interior/sound
BT-HQ mode
+++ no noise audible
++ no discoloration perceptible
++ very good location
++ after the FW update (almost) loud enough (the limit should be switched off)
++ slim, but deep and precise bass range
++ very good midrange, voices are very precise, never dosy, not even with difficult voices, such as B. Loreena McKennitt, Wolfgang Niedecken, Philipp Poisel... Voices are slightly in the foreground, well detached from the rest of the music
++ no thickened heat
++ Heights without chirring, but very present

ANC mode
++ audible, but not serious difference, then lacks some transparency/audibility, "scary"
++ ANC is effective, like with Px 7S2
- some noise audible, not audible when listening to useful signals, something in pauses

Symmetrical cable connection with the supplied cable (on the Shanling M8)
++ it goes much louder :wink:
+++ even higher precision, especially in the bass range
+- overall a slightly "colder" sound

Conclusion: The price is hefty, the T+A Solitaire T unspectacular at first glance. In terms of sound, the T is very neutral, does not tire. The disadvantage is quite small ear cups and the developing heat.
In HQ BT mode, I consider it the best KH I know. In comparison, here were the B&W Px 7S2 and the B&O H95, SONY WH-100XM4/5. I haven't heard the Mark Levinson No. 5909 yet, to be honest, I don't like it visually at all.
The T replaces a B&W Px 7S2 and a HifIMan Edition XS, parallel to the T there is currently a SONY MDR-Z1 and some InEars, including Planare.
Apparently, I am "suitable" better for dynamic drivers at OverEars, as I like KH with this technique at the end and (quite) permanently better.

VG
bernd

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,089 of 1,834
My good friend of Head-fi, WDitters, yesterday sending me some messages about a review of the ST from German audio magazine Stereoplay.

Stereoplay, apparently a reputable audio publication, doing a review of the ST in the new/last issue, and the article including some photos and graphs but isn't available online except if you paying for a subscription. WDitters sending me 2 screenshots of the article (because he's have the magazine), and here are his 2 comments to me:

"Can't find the article online... But Stereoplay gives the ST 84 from 85 points. With fantastic price/quality ratio." and "With the conclusion that if he would only be allowed one pair of headphones it would be these.. And he would never look back."

I'm copying the last paragraph of the article, from the screenshots WDitters sending me, in original German, and then I'm including the English translation: "Fazit: Dürfte ich für den Rest meines Lebens nur noch einen kopfhörer nutzen, der T+A Solitaire T wäre meine erste Wahl. Und im Vertrauen: Zurückblicken würde ich keinen Moment." ---- English translation: "Conclusion: If I were only allowed to use one pair of headphones for the rest of my life, the T+A Solitaire T would be my first choice. And in confidence: I would not look back for a moment."
The author of the review / article is Bernd Theiss.

Here is a screenshot of the cover of the magazine in case people want buying:

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 15.36.59.png

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #1,090 of 1,834
My good friend of Head-fi, WDitters, yesterday sending me some messages about a review of the ST from German audio magazine Stereoplay.

Stereoplay, apparently a reputable audio publication, doing a review of the ST in the new/last issue, and the article including some photos and graphs but isn't available online except if you paying for a subscription. WDitters sending me 2 screenshots of the article (because he's have the magazine), and here are his 2 comments to me:

"Can't find the article online... But Stereoplay gives the ST 84 from 85 points. With fantastic price/quality ratio." and "With the conclusion that if he would only be allowed one pair of headphones it would be these.. And he would never look back."

I'm copying the last paragraph of the article, from the screenshots WDitters sending me, in original German, and then I'm including the English translation: "Fazit: Dürfte ich für den Rest meines Lebens nur noch einen kopfhörer nutzen, der T+A Solitaire T wäre meine erste Wahl. Und im Vertrauen: Zurückblicken würde ich keinen Moment." ---- English translation: "Conclusion: If I were only allowed to use one pair of headphones for the rest of my life, the T+A Solitaire T would be my first choice. And in confidence: I would not look back for a moment."
The author of the review / article is Bernd Theiss.

Here is a screenshot of the cover of the magazine in case people want buying:

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 15.36.59.png
Thank you both @WDitters and @angelom; this was another great insight, and as with that reviewer, I think I agree with their conclusions!

Sure, I wouldn't mind true ultra-fi endgame setups and cans*, however, the Solitaire T fulfils so many roles and sounds incredible that it is a joy to use.
To then be able to push the cans via my FiiO M17 and Shargeek Storm2 in balanced mode is a dream, and just elevates my experience of the cans.
Plus, in white, they are beautiful!

Yet, one can dream of end-game gear...(stares wistfully into the distance whilst listening to Hans Zimmer Live (2023) in 24 bit/48.0 kHz via Solitaire T, M17, and Storm2)

Dream system ideas*:
  1. Source/DAC #1: dCS Vivaldi One Apex with dCS Vivaldi Master Clock
    Source/DAC #2: T+A DAC 200
    Passive Preamp: The Bespoke Audio Company Preamplifier
    Headphone Amp #1 (Electrostatic): Warwick Acoustics Aperio
    Headphone Amp #2: Zähl HM1
    Cans: T+A Solitaire P, DCA Stealth
  2. Source/DAC: dCS Lina DAC and Lina Master Clock. Alternatively, dCS Bartók Apex with either dCS Lina Master Clock or Teac CGF-10M
    Headphone Amp #1 (Electrostatic): Warwick Acoustics Bravua
    Headphone Amp #2: Zähl HM1
  3. All-in-one #1: dCS Lina Stack (Amplifier, DAC, and clock)
  4. All-in-one #2: T+A HA 200

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #1,091 of 1,834
Thank you both @WDitters and @angelom; this was another great insight, and as with that reviewer, I think I agree with their conclusions!

In my last post I don't want adding the obvious comment that I'm agreeing too with the reviewer's conclusion because I saying already in this thread that the ST is the best headphone (or earphone) I hearing in my life.

WDitters owning and/or auditioning more expensive (and Summit-fi) headphones than me (the best I owning still for many years is the excellent open-back Sennheiser HD800). BUT, independently of the price, I saying to him that the ST's tonal balance is (practically) impeccable and this isn't necessarily true of some (very) more expensive headphones. Tonal balance isn't everything but is a critical aspect of a headphone.

For me the more critical test (but not exclusive) is the very difficult correct reproduction of mid-high and, specially, high registers of the spectrum. I'm insisting for 3rd time now that high frequencies is the more difficult frequency doing correctly in headphones. The ST doing a genuine superb job in this part of the spectrum, while is giving too phenomenal low and mids reproduction.

My view, right now, is that the ST is a gem that many people not discovering yet, but maybe this isn't a bad thing in some respects actually.

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,092 of 1,834
In my last post I don't want adding the obvious comment that I'm agreeing too with the reviewer's conclusion because I saying already in this thread that the ST is the best headphone (or earphone) I hearing in my life.

WDitters owning and/or auditioning more expensive (and Summit-fi) headphones than me (the best I owning still for many years is the excellent open-back Sennheiser HD800). BUT, independently of the price, I saying to him that the ST's tonal balance is (practically) impeccable and this isn't necessarily true of some (very) more expensive headphones. Tonal balance isn't everything but is a critical aspect of a headphone.

For me the more critical test (but not exclusive) is the very difficult correct reproduction of mid-high and, specially, high registers of the spectrum. I'm insisting for 3rd time now that high frequencies is the more difficult frequency doing correctly in headphones. The ST doing a genuine superb job in this part of the spectrum, while is giving too phenomenal low and mids reproduction.

My view, right now, is that the ST is a gem that many people not discovering yet, but maybe this isn't a bad thing in some respects actually.
Yes, the tonality, timber, and balance are extraordinary.

Of course, I still would have liked a more expansive soundstage, the only area I consider a weakness of the Solitaire T, but it's overall presentation is remarkable.
I mean, I got rid of three headphones AFTER owning the Solitaire T 😂

Even so, having alternative sounding cans can be good too, changing up listening experiences, but to me having this tonality and sonic signature (almost) wherever I am is awesome 😊

Edit: cheers @angelom for spotting the error 🤣
Fixed ❤️

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,093 of 1,834
Of course, I still would have liked a more expensive soundstage, the only area I consider a weakness of the Solitaire T, but it's overall presentation is remarkable.

More expensive?? No!! Maybe more expansive... :)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,094 of 1,834
Mar 24, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,095 of 1,834
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back