Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #241 of 2,336
Happy to see I didn't go with this. Hope you guys get your pairs soon.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #242 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? So what was submitted in the Canada post and which fortunately had shipping issues that in turn, allowed you to be revising the driver doping process? Was it my headphone fitted with an improved driver that was not at all my original driver? It would seem then, that this next run of re-doping exercise will be done on another batch of in-house drivers again? Am I right?

I'd like this addressed as well, please.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #243 of 2,336
Geez - am I ever glad that I did NOT invest in a pair of these as initially planned! All I read is lame and highly questionable excuses - - - and 'downgrades' - ya right. Think I'll stick to the tried and true.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #244 of 2,336
I'm still on board.
eek.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
cool.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #246 of 2,336
I would be careful what you say, MadMan. Grado fans like to get "aggressive", from time to time.
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #249 of 2,336
oh please, I just feel like alot of people trying to start up business's around here are very quickly owned by the masses, it is kind of disheartening. If it was my money I would most likely want a refund until it was handled. But my point was dont crucify him yet hes far from SP so far.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #250 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh please, I just feel like alot of people trying to start up business's around here are very quickly owned by the masses, it is kind of disheartening. If it was my money I would most likely want a refund until it was handled. But my point was dont crucify him yet hes far from SP so far.

I think those who were involved were more worried regarding the inconsistencies. There is no excuse for that IMHO.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #251 of 2,336
I don't have a dog in this fight either. I was waiting for reviews to come out. So really won't make much more comment here other than Lurking.

However, my suggestion to Rhydon, is that he come perfectly clean on everything, maintain a good line of communication here, and be scrupulously honest here on out, no matter how painful that process may be. None of this has happened so far. A new Leaf is in order. Just like your Grandma told ya, Honesty is the best policy.

It seems that updates have had to be pulled out like teeth. It is confusing about why some people were in the know and others weren't.

Mainly disconcerting is the description of the current problem. The doping won't cure?? How could this problem just be cropping up now? Were non-cured cans put "in the mail'? This suggests there never really was a product, it didn't exist. Very confusing or very confused.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #252 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand why 'little guys' use Paypal but the problem with it is payment is immediate. In one way that's nice for a business to get some working capital but on the other hand it's hard for customers. Always better to err on the side of caution when money is changing hands.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #253 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mainly disconcerting is the description of the current problem. The doping won't cure?? How could this problem just be cropping up now? Were non-cured cans put "in the mail'? This suggests there never really was a product, it didn't exist. Very confusing or very confused.

and what happen to this, one of the first reasons given for delays?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We plan to ship a majority of head-fi orders this week. Thank-you to everyone for their patience.

The burn-in is an attempt to slowly work-in the new driver coating- vital to the final performance. We burn-in each pair, one at a time; measure, listen, then repeat if necessary. This is not a production-line product, each pair is a one at a time handmade item.

Rhydon

Delays were a result of phones being carefully burned in over a long period while being measured and tested. Another thing that doesn't jive.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #255 of 2,336
Quote:

It seems that updates have had to be pulled out like teeth. It is confusing about why some people were in the know and others weren't.

Updates were always issued to customers via email. No one has complained to us about the lack or frequency of our updates.

Due to the complexity of the project we felt our customers would rather have us working hard on their products than typing emails. That logic seems to have been altered now. We will be doing weekly email updates to everyone who has ordered.

Quote:

Mainly disconcerting is the description of the current problem. The doping won't cure?? How could this problem just be cropping up now?

I can understand how things might seem confusing. Let me do my best to explain.

Our coating needs to be cured in a special manor to ensure the entire surface is cured evenly with minimal shrinkage. Earlier issues were related to ensuring the fragile mylar surface was not warped or compressed once the coating cures. Of equal importance was confirming the cured coating has enough flexibility to promote good transient response of the driver (how fast it is able to respond to an acoustic signal). The coating had to be hard enough yet maintain a slight level of flexibility. This takes some time to dial in just right. Once we did, we discovered that the coatings properties were slowly changing over time. This problem is being worked at the moment- we have equipment on order to correct the issue.

Another step to consider was the adhesion of the coating to the mylar surface. We had discovered that extended output would weaken the coating and sometimes result in it failing. While this was only evident during extreme output we wanted to make sure that at no matter what volume you were listening, you could enjoy your headphones for many years without worrying about over-driving them. As of today, this issue has been solved with the addition of a new process which acts to increase the surface tension of the driver surface (in english, that means the coating will stick much better).

These are just some of the complexities we have been dealing with. Also Keep in mind this is the driver alone. There are another two dozen areas of engineering relating to the headphone assembly that have already been solved.

In product development something more crucial than experience and funding, is time. When it came to shipping the headphones or holding them for a few more weeks we decided it best if we take more time to understand the complexities of the coating. This is our first product and first attempt at doing something radically new. We want to make sure everyone is as happy with it as we are- at the time this meant holding on to it a little longer.

I understand there are consequences and in order to address any concern we offered a complete refund for those who were unable to stay on board. As it stands, only 3 people have left us.

Its been a long journey, but we feel we're just about done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back