Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Jul 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #46 of 294
I guess I misread your post - you wrote "rock EQ" and I thought of rockbox. I wouldn't recomment using the native iPod EQ - the distortion it produces will probably outweight any benefit. If you can't get rockbox to work (would be a shame because it really rocks!) you could try to dampen the heighs with another paper tissue: take one of the four layers and put it under the foam-pad (it's incredible what these things are good for
wink.gif
)

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #47 of 294
Most of the mods are for the HD681. But it can be done on the 668B.
I did the Clausdk and Blu-Tac mod together. Bass is tight, and no boominess. But rolls off badly. Probably inserted too much cotton.

Repost from another forum. [ http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1239752 ]

Mods available to stretch the RM130 further:

Tissue mod (Timar from Head-fi) for comfort (and slight bass improvement):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485039...15#post_6686675

Earfonia Foam removal mod (Audiophile-Indonesia forum):
Remove the foam covering the driver to increase aggressiveness & detail. I have no idea what that dude is saying most of the time.
http://www.audiophile-id.com/index.php?topic=5489.msg222599#msg222599
*also adds more boominess and bass if the damper sticker is removed.

Heliharris mod (Rockgrotto forum)---aluminium ring and end cap mod for HD681. I guess it would work for 668B too.
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=review&thread=5378
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=review&thread=4559&post=57092

PinkFloyd's 4 Pence mod (variations: 4 Euro mod, RM0.40 sen mod, SGD 1 dollar mod). For "sweeter highs and have others have said, more air around instruments. Bass seems a litte tighter [...]"
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=review&thread=4769&post=59472
I just used a knife tip to pop off the Superlux logo cap, applied some paper glue onto a 20 sen coin (I don't want to make it permanent yet), stick it onto the end cap with a tape over it to prevent it from falling out. Perhaps slightly less boomy bass, I guess.

Clausdk fish tank filter wool mod: For crazy details in HD681. I will try later with cotton or whatever I can find at home.
 http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=review&thread=4769&post=65101

Koolind Blu-tac mod:
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=review&thread=4769&post=64059
Open the cans, stick a glob of blu-tac onto the back of the driver/magnet.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #48 of 294
How is the isolation in the Superlux HD681 and HD668B? Headphonia review says "good", but they are semi open.
I like their looks and the reviews sound good (apart from the cushions), but will they have enough isolation on outgoing sound to be quiet on normal listening levels in a office landscape?

If not I will probably go for AKG K272 HD.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #50 of 294
These cans look interesting, how similar are they to the akg240/241? I'm looking for some spare parts for my 241 and thought this might be a handy donor. Anybody have a 241 they can compare, I need the screens and elastics!

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #51 of 294
Hi,

I never understood the Superlux-Hype. They are what they are, cheap headphones, not really comfortable, not really well built, and not really this bad sounding for what they cost.
There are some other Behringers and Co. out there on the same level.

As I reviewed the Superluxes, mids was always a bit off, colored and far from great sounding. The built quality and driver consistensy is on the level you can expect for the money – poor. ( ... like the Ultrasones driver consistensy :wink:

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #52 of 294

Quote:
Hi,

I never understood the Superlux-Hype. They are what they are, cheap headphones, not really comfortable, not really well built, and not really this bad sounding for what they cost.
There are some other Behringers and Co. out there on the same level.

As I reviewed the Superluxes, mids was always a bit off, colored and far from great sounding. The built quality and driver consistensy is on the level you can expect for the money – poor. ( ... like the Ultrasones driver consistensy :wink:

I don't think it's hype, they truly are excellent headphones. If anything, they are not talked enough about.

I had a small test session with my friend (both of us ex-musicians) where we listened to four different headphones:
  1. Sennheiser HD448
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  3. Sony MDR-CD580
  4. Superlux HD668B (with AKG K-240 velour pads)

When compared to M50, Superluxes had more natural spatial presentation and better bass - not as loud or far extending as M50, but more controlled. Overall we agreed that both phones are of similar quality but different. Superluxes are better for neutral presentation (classical) while M50 are more "fun" or "hot" - forward sounding - usually better for pop/rock and movie soundtracks. I would be happy with either of these being my only headphones.

Sennheisers were lacking bass and Sonys failed to reveal the finest details.

I also happen to have Sennheiser HD650 so I'm not totally alien to higher quality headphones. While HD650 does have more air in their presentation (music seems to be "far") than Superlux, I still like the frequency response of Superlux more. HD650 has slightly worse bass and roll-off of highs is starting to get very obvious when you get used to more tonally balanced sound. 

Call me crazy, but I recently packed my HD650 back to it's retail box on top of my bookshelf. Seriously thinking if I should sell them or just keep them for another pair of different sound.

edit: I have heard two different pairs of Superlux and they both sound the same - consistency seems to be ok.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #53 of 294
The above post fits in with my experience too.

Apparently there's variation between the superlux models, but in my experience superlux isn't just a good phone for the price -- it's a good phone objectively speaking.

If the hd668b cost $130 it would still have the same price/quality ratio as the m50 in my opinion (I'm not claiming that they have similar sound signatures). The only thing the hd668b lacks is the aesthetic, and some would argue that it looks good.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #54 of 294
Ive listened to them. Got to say, really good for the price but are not better then my AD700s. Bit more bass, less soundstage and for some reason i found the sound a bit 'off' . Not as refined as the AD700s.

but for the price, they are really really good.

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #55 of 294

Quote:
but for the price, they are really really good.

And that is the main point, isn't it?! Its a very good sounding headphone, for their price. Just don't expect them to compete with higher priced headphone. They can compete, to some level, just don't expect them as refined as higher priced headphone. If you want to compare them, compare them with other headphones with similar price.

Btw, I love HD668B and its brother HD660. This cheapo really save my wallet!!!!

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #57 of 294
I'd take 668B over AD900 any day, I've tried them both for a period of time. For the price you pay for AD900 (or any other phone on that tier or higher) you could : recable (this make a BIG difference), buy a better/velour pad and buy proper amp to fix that far sounding mid.

The phone has that much potential inside those driver. I doesn't need to be said, other than the mid, this phone trounce any other phone within the price point for technicality.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #58 of 294

Quote:
I'd take 668B over AD900 any day, I've tried them both for a period of time. For the price you pay for AD900 (or any other phone on that tier or higher) you could : recable (this make a BIG difference), buy a better/velour pad and buy proper amp to fix that far sounding mid.

The phone has that much potential inside those driver. I doesn't need to be said, other than the mid, this phone trounce any other phone within the price point for technicality.

I have owned AT's AD900 and have the HD668B right now. I sold the AD900 due to it's too bright nature and lack of bass plus I don't think it warranted the price tag. The HD668 while not as detailed a headphone nor as well built has better balance sonically in my opinion. But the Superlux does need an amp beyond a cheap sound card or a portable MP3 player to sound right. Fortunately at it's price point people can afford to buy one. Currently I am using my pair with a small portable Rocoon amp I picked up for $75 and find it has amazing synergy with the HD668B helping bring out a bit more midrange.

The one thing about the HD668B that does need to be mentioned though is the need for proper burn-in or at least patience while it burns in. The change from out of the box to where my pair is at now at around 100-150hrs is amazing. Out of the box the bass was very boomy and the treble was way to hot and the midrange was not so good. That changes over time though as the bass settles down as does the treble and the midrange improves. The only modification I have done to my pair is add an 1/8" thick disk of foam around the size of a quarter to the center underneath the original foam as I found this helped tame the treble down just a bit more. Otherwise I am still using the original cables and earpads. I may get a cable made up to see if it changes the sound much and I am going to but  some AKG velour earpads and may even try some of the other mods that are kicked about. But honestly much of these changes will be because I'm a nerd versus the headphone needing every one of these mods to sound good.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #59 of 294
I have my Superlux 668B for about 3 weeks now and they start to sound really well.

I replaced the pleather pads for velours AKG ones which are much more comfortable but what I really dislike about these headphones is the way the 2 pads (Superlux' own designed system I guess) press on top of your head. After 30 minutes it really starts to hurt and forces me to either move the headphones a little bit or to take them off.

Do more of you 688B owners experience this phenomenon and has anyone found a tweak to resolve this annoyance?

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #60 of 294
How about bend it slightly? So it wont press your top-head so much

Quote:
I have my Superlux 668B for about 3 weeks now and they start to sound really well.

I replaced the pleather pads for velours AKG ones which are much more comfortable but what I really dislike about these headphones is the way the 2 pads (Superlux' own designed system I guess) press on top of your head. After 30 minutes it really starts to hurt and forces me to either move the headphones a little bit or to take them off.

Do more of you 688B owners experience this phenomenon and has anyone found a tweak to resolve this annoyance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back